Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2007, 10:29 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Cast Aluminum Tailights

Hi, I have the optional "cast aluminum tailights". But, only the houseings are cast Aluminum, not the bezels around the lights; These bezels are chromed plastic. I was somewhat dissapointed when I first found out about the plastic bezels. Does anyone know of someone who has the equiptment or foundry to recast these bezels out of Aluminum? I would think about $25.00 each and / or $100.00 for a set of four would be a reasonable retail price for these made from real cast Aluminum. I'm curious, what's your opinion on this subject.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:01 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
There are small aluminum foundaries around major manufacturing cities. You might try the Tomas Register to find one in your area. Thomas Registers are published on CDrom disks for various regions for free. They also may be available on line in your area. Try Google to see. They will need to use your parts as patterns and not all alloys polish up well, so be sure to ask. Have them polished by them and there also may need to be some secondary machining as well. I found a foundary about 15 miles from my house that was cooperative but not cheap.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Hi, I have the optional "cast aluminum tailights". But, only the houseings are cast Aluminum, not the bezels around the lights; These bezels are chromed plastic. I was somewhat dissapointed when I first found out about the plastic bezels. Does anyone know of someone who has the equiptment or foundry to recast these bezels out of Aluminum? I would think about $25.00 each and / or $100.00 for a set of four would be a reasonable retail price for these made from real cast Aluminum. I'm curious, what's your opinion on this subject.
I tried that route a few years ago to have a simple tank badge for a motorcycle reproduced in cast aluminum. The price of the castings wasn't bad and the polishing prices were acceptable, but the mold and set-up charges were out of sight.......IIRC over $3500! Needeless to say that it killed the project.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:26 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
Good luck at that price. I've tried to have a simple guide for a bandsaw cast. Checked around my area and the cheapest for that part was around 80 bucks. It was a simple cast, but most foundaries are expensive. Maybe there a school in the area that does odd projects cheaper. You could have someone with a CNC router do it too, but it would also not be cheap.
Alt
Thealt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:56 AM   #5
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS
Try the large truck stops.
Many lights have chrome 'armor' trim around them.
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:59 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I have seen a great number of the cast alum tail lights you speak of corrode, particularly around the edges and screw mounts. I've had two sets and both have it. Looking at it from this persepective, the plastic might not be such a bad thing......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Dyi

I'm currenty thinking about doing some bakyard sandcasting on parts no longer available, reminds me of day's in high school ,the complete kit is available for about $200.00. Know that is a kittle more than you thought however there my be more out there thinking like you to get you ROI. Just a thought.
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
investment casting

I've been a goldsmith for 30+ years and do most of my custom work from original waxes and lost wax casting. The results are fabulous, but the size is limited by the available flask sizes. I'll measure my tail light bezels from my CCD, but I think that they will be too large for my burn out oven.

How about a set in sterling silver....no corrosion there!!!!!

Don't laugh so hard! I've done custom door knobs, boot heels and shift knobs in silver!
Old 01-28-2007, 04:45 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella3287
I'm currenty thinking about doing some bakyard sandcasting on parts no longer available, reminds me of day's in high school ,the complete kit is available for about $200.00. Know that is a kittle more than you thought however there my be more out there thinking like you to get you ROI. Just a thought.
The problem with sand casting is the very rough surface finish. You'll spend hours grinding and polishing. Then you'll have to have it triple chromed (copper, nickel, chrome) in order to have a lasting shiney finish. Way too much work to be commercially viable at a price you could sell....but as a project for yourself.......GO FOR IT! Just be sure that you get the very finest sand that you can find.