Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2018, 05:44 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
South Burlington , Vermont
Brake Lights Going on For No Reason

Our 22FB is currently parked. 7 way connector is disengaged and the tow vehicle is nowhere in sight. I've got the power connected to regular 110V from the house and all seems normal.

Except, sometimes, the brake lights illuminate along with the license plate light. Then it goes off on it's own. I haven't found a cause or pattern yet as I've only even seen it happen twice.

Could this be a malfunction with my 7 way connector? Or is there another possibility worth exploring? Thanks.
TomPiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:06 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Probably not the brake lights but the tail lights and license plate lights coming on together. They are powered normally on the same wire.

Finding this kind of short can be time consuming. It is possible that the 7 pin plug is shorting between the power wire and the tail light wire, only showing up when the trailer is powering through the converter to make 12vdc. I believe there is also a bus block somewhere in the system that could be shorting power to the light wire.

Probability tells me the moving part of the circuit, ex. the plug, is the most likely culprit. When plugged in to shore power have someone watch the tail lights while you bend the 7way plug around gently while unplugged from the tow vehicle and see if you can replicate the problem. It could be a bad plug or just a loose wire in the plug. It's a place to start. Good luck.
thezoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 12:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Or the plug could just have a dirt track between adjacent contacts. Try cleaning it thoroughly.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:55 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' Flying Cloud
Copper Hill , Virginia
Check this out in post 1079 of the 23d thread GMFL was right it was wet out and this fixed mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydCoVa View Post
Got a question, just the first of many. Had some time to hang out in the 23d. It's cold here and snowing...hard calling for 10 or 12 inches by morn. I unhitched and leveled trailer then plugged in trailer to house. Went inside all lights worked as should turned thermostat to 70 instant heat . Turned radio on cool. Must have hung out three hours. Really fun! Turned off thermostat turned all lights off and Locke door. Walking around trailer I noticed the tail lights were partly lit up. When I unplugged the trailer they went out,plugged in and again partly lit. Not sure why,any ideas?
Sounds like your 7 pin plug has some snow or water in it. That would cause some voltage to “bleed” across and dimly light your lights. Dielectric grease or silicon spray is the ticket.
FloydCoVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:00 AM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Do you have original molded on 7 way plug or a replacement plug only?

MAYBE a strand of wire is making its own connection inside the replacement plug.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote