Old 04-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina
Brake Light LED Conversion 76 Sovereign

The left one is standard 1156 bulb, the right one is LED conversion. The right one lights quick and the 1156 lights maybe 1/2 second later so there is kind of a wigwag effect. Sorry the pic is kind of grainy. Standing there looking at the lights they appear equal in light intensity. It is just hard to click the camera when both are at same brightness.

How it was done:

[/IMG]

A piece of galvanized tin is cut so it just fits inside tailight housing. Extra wire is soldered to make it longer so it will get to the 1156 base.
[IMG]http://[/IMG]

5050 RED LED modules with adhesive backing is applied to panel

[IMG]http://[/IMG]

Panel is nested into light housing right up next to diffusion lens.

Lens is replaced and you are ready to go. You can pick up ten of these modules on ebay for like $10.00. You only solder one set of wires as they are linked together. These come two ways, waterproof and not waterproof. Obviously you want the waterproof ones.

Old 04-05-2015, 08:10 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Would not let me load over three pics so here are more.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Update?

Looks nice! Now that you've been using the mod for awhile, any more observations? Did you do it only to the one lamp, or the back-ups and the brakes? Curious as to how it's working out now that (assuming) you've had some time with it...
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:05 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Only reason I have not done the other one is I haven't had the time. I need to get on it as I have another trip to make the 19th of next month.

Its kind of interesting the way they are as they don't light up at same time and it gives a wigwag effect on 4 way flash mode haha

What I would really like is to get the flashers like is seen on Sysco food delivery straight trucks where the upper running lights also act as stop and turn lights but I have no idea of how to get the wiring up there.

One thing I have noticed though is the connections on the interior overhead lights that are wire nutted together are corroding and shows signs of having become hot enough to turn the color of the insulation and now it is crispy. I have cut the wire nut sections off, twisted them together and soldered them in place and taped them and changed all the bulbs out to 1156 LEDs.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
LEDs produce light at a lower voltage than an incandescent bulb. As you have noticed, an LED light will light up noticeably faster than a regular bulb. This is normal.

Chris
Old 05-30-2015, 04:59 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
and they don't pull your battery down as quick. and don't heat up the interior. The issue bulbs got so hot the plastic covers deformed and have turned the plastic yellow .

with the corrosion I found at the wire nut junctions and the switches it is amazing it has not caught fire.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:06 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Are you still liking your tail light installation? I was wondering if they were lasting - I have the same on order but wondered if there were resistors needed or if there were issues with the "stop" function or turn signal function. Just wondering if you had replaced the other side as well or were still satisfied.

I've got the 1156 LEDs on order too - 40 bulbs - to do the interior. I think I'll go with the plug-in bulbs at this point - easy and quick.

Now to find some LED replacements for those two HALOGEN hogs over the front gaucho!

Thanks!
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:32 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
yes the LEDS are still doing nicely. We got to use them (inside and outside) when we went to the NRA Show in Nashville and then a couple months back went to a rifle match in Dawsonville, Ga and stayed four nights and the lights did great. I did some LED strip lighting over the stove that did nicely too.

I just got another low boy cargo trailer to haul my newer (1974 - Ford 3000) tractor on. Got it at a very nice price from a guy who used to build cargo trailers for Home Depot and Lowes. He used this one to haul eight of the smaller ones on to deliver them. It was on ebay and only fifty miles away and only three folks bid on it. I went to look it over and he said two others had come to look at it. I am now looking for some 6X6 square tubing 1/4" thick to use for tail light housings and steps but haven't found any yet.

I have seen solid floored trailers but nothing like this. This one has a piece of 1/4 steel plate 6' X 19' for the main deck and 24" rear area angled down and a pair of 5200 lb axles. 4X6 L Angle 3/8" thick for the outer frame and 3" channel for the cross members ! ! ! That has been my project lately as I have to completely rewire it with LED stop/tail/turns and rewire the brakes. It has the same lug pattern and 16" wheel and tire size as I have on the Sovereign so spares will interchange. Will also install incandescent side marker/turn lights.

I placed it on jack stands yesterday as I am going to go pull the hubs and check the brakes/magnets and replace the ramps that were stolen off it when PO had it right after I get it completely rewired with a flat pin plug.

I am guess this thing weighs 2500+ empty and will get it weighed when I can. My Durango pulled it home fine but even though it has a trailer package I would not dream of trying to pull it with 4600 lb tractor & mower combo on it as I think the Durango is rated for like 5000 lbs.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:03 AM   #9
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

The only ones I changed were the B/U, needed the extra light for loading the AS rear trunk and breaking camp after dark....bright white, 42 pad from Dan @ LED4RV.

Bob
Old 08-21-2015, 05:26 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
I have used a couple panel lights inside and they do nicely there as well. I think I have some of the 1156 adaptors I can solder panel wires to and think I will do this next time. I changed all the inside lights to 1156 base LED and the whole interior appears to be lit by tube lighting.

Did you use something like Marinetex to attach the panels to the plate or did it come with adhesive strips? Some of the adhesive is awesome these days and some is so so.
Old 08-21-2015, 06:11 AM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Hummer,

I used 3M VHB tape. Another handy product for the traveling tool box.

Caution....it sticks GOOD, I used two narrow strips top & bottom of the pad just in case I had to remove it. (didn't want to take the chance of cracking the fixture)

Bob
Old 08-22-2015, 05:41 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Robert,
I did another cruise through on ebay and found this:

10x Cool White RV 1141 1156 BA15S T10 921 194 48 SMD Panel Interior LED Lights | eBay

I ordered them. I figure ten of them for 15.29 delivered would be a plan. I have some I ordered before that do not have the 1156 bases and I am thinking a delicate soldering job would allow me to use two of these panels.

I also just thought of another possibility I did with a Minnie Winnie I had about ten years back. The outside step light had a opaque cover and I got a piece of lexan and took the original lens from the step light and laid it over the Lexan with the shipping paper still on it and traced it out and put it on a jig saw and cut out the traced area, drilled the appropriate holes and put it on and had much more light at night. At least three times.

Might not be as spiffy looking at Airstream lighting but going on the theory of you can hit what you can't see in the dark seems to apply here so I am thinking glue two panels on a piece of metal and do the lexan lens trick and get a fantastic amount of back up lighting for like 4.00 per light (including the Lexan).

Also expanding on your idea I am thinking of doing the same on the brake light but leaving the red lens on and getting a 24 LED panel and use it for the running light. That way the brake light would be four times brighter than the running light and really get their attention.

Some might think this over kill but I got rearended 27 months ago (at about 40 MPH) and it has messed by neck up and shoulder (was knocked cold in process) and now I have two spurs growing into discs between 5/6 and 6/7 and a Grade 3 concussion and it ended my competition shooting career that I have followed since 1958.

Since that time I have become shall we say P A R I N O I D about getting hit again. Wife has already had two spinal surgeries from being rear ended. On my 2500 HD I have four extra LED brake light strips with two high on camper shell and two low below the step bumper and red/white 3M reflective strips as well and on her car I got a impact asbsorbing bumper that goes in 2" receiver hitch Superbumper and Sparebumper Impact Attenuators Help Eliminate Rear End Collision Damage with a Patented Compression System that's Proven & Tested

We have been hit two times in parking lots with this bumper on and we were sitting still both times and there was no damage to us either time. I am thinking of ordering another one. I talked to the folks I got them from and they said they sell hundreds of these in Chicago area haha.

There are several variations and I got the one (scroll down page about 1/3rd of the way till you see the flat plate and put dayglow green reflective on it and it gets their attention day or night. This is not what I got exactly as I got sheets about 12" square but will give you an idea. When light hits it at night it reflects as white.

3M 12 Strips 3" x 8" Flo Yellow Green Diamond Grade Reflective Conspicuity Tape | eBay

I am a volunteer firefighter and we work a goodly number of wrecks at day and night and we work on the theory of if you are not seen you will be hit. A new federal standard for emergency personnel vests came out about four years ago and this is THE color and as soon as we arrive at a scene the vests go on just as soon as we get out of vehicle.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:15 AM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Hummer,

Be aware that some of the LED pads have the resister in the base, as noted here.

I'm waiting for someone to offer a bright red multi,(20 at least) LED bulb for the tail, turn & brake lights. SuperBright has one I may try, see if it's bright enough.

POI...I've found thru trial & error that it's more cost effective to use quality LED's, I've had the cheep ones cr@p out on me more than once.

The rear bumper bumper comes in handy.....ask me how I know?

Before..

After...

Bob
Old 08-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Bob, I like the art work! ! ! ! Does it move and absorb impact shock loads?
Mine has like 4" of rubber donuts insulators that absorb the shock and the shaft moves forward as the mounting hose is elongated to allow such.

I guess I have been lucky with LEDs, I have had one side marker light start losing LEDs, then about the time I think I will replace it they light back up?????

I have seen RED LED panels on ebay just like the white ones I got. I replaced my overhead cab light in my 2500HD with two blue flat panels with like 12 LEDS to preserve night vision that work very nicely.

The ones I used on my brake light are waterproof. Some of the strip lights are not waterproof so you gotta read carefully.

What I am hoping is if I can mount two of those panels and replace with a clear Lexan lens that I can go around the edge with clear silicone sealant and waterproof them.

Around here there is a vendor who seems to be hitting all the rural service stations, country stores and outlining all the doors/windows etc with the strips of light (3 & 4 LEDS per panel and tethered together and they light up large areas in front of stores and many of them run them 24/7. I keep looking at them to see if any LEDs go South and so far have yet to see any of them that died.

The below are the lights I have on top of camper cover and below step bumper on my 2500HD and I can recommend them highly. On totally dark roads the tail lights give off so much light that folks tend to back off as they are bright. They have a 5 yr warranty and I had one start going bad about two years ago and I took it back to the truck parts supply place and they handed me a new one, packed the old one up and sent it to Maxxima. Apparently the waterproofing on the circuit board had a opening and moisture got in. The new one had a different design housing but utilized same holes.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxxima-M63318.../dp/B00EQ01UQ8

Tags
sovereign