Old 08-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Hummer, did you have to use a resistor or resistor "kit" for any of your taillights? I got my LEDs today and hope to get time in the next few days...

1976 Airstream Overlander International
WBCCI 1054
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:20 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Springfield , South Carolina

No Sir. I am familiar with the problem and have read of guys losing daytime running lights but I have not experienced it.

I have a older Dodge Durango that does not have them and wanted them and the factory fog lights went South after several years so when I changed them I went with LED lights and changed out housings and all as the heat generated by the factory jobs cooked the lenses.

Thusly when I drive now I turn on low beams and pull out switch that turns on the LEDS when the beams are on low and they have been in there about two years now.

The bulbs I have in my stop light are the commercial ones used in gas stations and convenience stores with the small power supplies similar to what powers radios etc. I have checked these with multimeter and invariably the stated voltage molded into them are delivered to multimeter is higher and I don't remember finding one that was lower that stated. Most are 1.5 to 2.3V higher than stated. The longer red Maxxima stop,tail,turn lights have a circuit board in them with resistors I can see encased in plastic.

I have some plug in LEDs to replace marker lights and tag lights that are still doing nicely as well.

I have 1156 bulbs all the way through the AS in the overheads and they are doing well but at this point I only have maybe 70 hours on them.

I noticed the other day Maxxima have bulbs rated for 12 thru 24 volt systems.

I have also made the decision when the marker lights go down on AS they will all be replaced with LEDs as well.

I am in the process of wiring up a equipment trailer I just got for my tractor and for back up lights I plan on using these.

10W Underwater 12V Warm White LED Flood Wash Pool Waterproof Spotlight Lamp 1 2M | eBay

I originally got them for AS but have deferred putting them on and I don't want to be backing a 26 ft long equipment trailer in the dark as whatever I hit with it will lose big time.

Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:47 AM   #17

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

My plan was to replace all the running lights with LED's when they started to fail....12yrs, I'm still waiting.
I've swapped all the inside lights that would drain the battery, plus the scare and step bulbs. Don't use the Fluorescent's much so they stayed put.

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote