Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Bathroom and back overhead lights out

This ones intermittant and tonight it went off, both my bathroom light and the 6 light panel in the back section went out. It seems these two are somehow on the same wiring and I'm not sure where and how it runs and where the break is. Was putting in some LED lights in the back overhead when both these lights went out. Checked all wiring in the 6 panel, pulled twisted uncapped the caps. There is a single black wire that feeds this one. Then went to the univolt panel and removed one at a time the three fuses in it, front section, mid section, and the third bottom one was the back section. Both the reading lights over the twin beds went out when 3rd fuse pulled so I'm assuming the overhead and bathroom would be on this one. Anyways conclusion is the fuses are ok. Also metered across all three and power good there. Traced the output side wired from fuse box to where they go into the wall pulling, twisting etc. So anyone ever trace down something like this in a Tradewind. Also took cover off the bathroom light and pulled on it's wires, bulbs with no results. any clues?
I've had trouble with this wiring before and eventually it comes back on on its own.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Also I checked the 12 Volt cig lighter in the back closet and best I could tell it was dead, however never used it so don't know about it. Wonder if the wires split from there to the lights.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Could it be a grounding problem? although it seems that would only effect one light not two?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Circuit #1 - Purple should feed:

Bathroom Light
Bath Exhaust Fan
12 volt Outlet
Bed Shelf Light or Vanity Light (depending on configuration)
First Ceiling Light from the rear

If that helps you any....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:20 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
ground

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Could it be a grounding problem? although it seems that would only effect one light not two?
Rich,

If you want to eliminate the problem being a ground you could get a wire and run from one of the lights to a " known good ground" like to the battery or Neg on the univolt.

I would also try metering those switches just in case.

It sounds like a broken part inside one of the wires. I would try wiggling any wires that are exposed and are easy to get to.

Dan
Old 06-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
wil try that Dan. Had just put in the final 2 LED lights you had sent me and was about to put the cover on it when they went out. Hope somebody knows how those wires are run behind the skin. Came up with a good plan by mixing the LED lights with the traditional bulbs in the fixture. The outer 4 are on one part of the switch and the center 2 are on another. So i put 4 of the LEDs on the outer and left the bulbs in the center. That way when I want low power LED lights when I'm off the grid I have one setting and when I want the yellow bright off the bulbs I have that and the third is to turn on all 6 and mix.

It'll do til I order more LEDs.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Circuit one looks like the bottom fuse, it s a purple wire. Front lights.
Circuit three top yellow wire does the back

fuse good no fan in b room, no light, back overhead out.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Solution found

So I decided to pull out my 38 year old Tradewind manual and upon inspection of the electrical section was a picture of the univolt. Noticed that there were 4 circuit fuses in the picture. Only had noticed three in mine. Upon further inspection face down looking up there at the very top of the panel was the 4th fuse and yes it was blown. replaced it and lights came on. turned bathroom light switch as it was off and the fuse blew. One of the 3 bulbs in the fixture had a bad base causing the wire to "short" blowing the fuse. Clipped the wire to it and everything works. So summary: 4 circuits, 4 20 amp fuses. Top one that is almost invisible unless you are on your face looking straight up and into the univolt powers the back 6 panel ceiling light, the bathroom light and fan.