Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
Yankee Lighting Company
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Emlenton , Pennsylvania
Question Bargman 99 Question

What are the functions of the Bargman 99 lamp? On the one that I have, there are two bulbs.
  1. The first bulb is a #1034, double contact bulb, which is typically used for tail/stop/turn function.
  2. The second bulb is located closer to the top of the lamp and is a single contact #67.
Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
Number99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #2
bfk
2 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Eugene , Oregon
I was just trying to work this out the other day with my Bambi.
Back when these trailers were made they used different circuits for stop and turn, and another for tail lights.
It appears that the single filament bulb is used as a tail light and one filament of the 1034 is used for both brakes and turn signals. I think the other half of the 1034 is only along for the ride.
Of course the wiring on the Bambi has been modified over the years (never seen so much electrical tape in one place in my life) so your mileage may vary.

HTH
Brian
bfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:54 PM   #3
Yankee Lighting Company
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Emlenton , Pennsylvania
OK, so if I design an LED lamp base for the 99 lens, as long as I make it dual brightness, dim for tail and bright for stop & turn, I have all the bases covered?
Old 07-04-2006, 06:36 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number99
OK, so if I design an LED lamp base for the 99 lens, as long as I make it dual brightness, dim for tail and bright for stop & turn, I have all the bases covered?
Yes. I have the same bulb situation in our Bargman 99's, the #1034/1157 bulb would only light when turning or stopping, one filament only, and the #67 would light when the running lights were on. I ran a jumper wire from the #67 to the "dead" filament of the #1034, so it would light as well. Our coach has no clearance lights, and I wanted it as bright as possible. LED's would be better, as they are brighter, and cooler, and draw less power. FYI, Inland RV already sells them, I don't know who their supplier is.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
Yankee Lighting Company
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Emlenton , Pennsylvania
Bargman 99s & LEDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Yes. I have the same bulb situation in our Bargman 99's, the #1034/1157 bulb would only light when turning or stopping, one filament only, and the #67 would light when the running lights were on. I ran a jumper wire from the #67 to the "dead" filament of the #1034, so it would light as well. Our coach has no clearance lights, and I wanted it as bright as possible. LED's would be better, as they are brighter, and cooler, and draw less power. FYI, Inland RV already sells them, I don't know who their supplier is.
Hey, thanks to you both for the replies. I wasn't sure if I needed to provide a 3rd function on the lamp or not. It can be done with a little electronic wizzardry, if need be, but I would have to know what exactly the 3rd function is.

The 7 inch LED lamps that Inland carries, I believe are designed for buses, which is fine. They're very good lamps. What I'm not seeing are actual LED lamps that are properly designed to operate with the Bargman 99 lenses. Making LEDs work properly with lenses designed for incandescent lamps is something that I've had a lot of success with. Other issues are achieving proper brightness for the difference in tail/stop/turn functions, protecting the electronics from the elements electrical surges and so forth.

I'll attach a couple of photos to show you what I'm talking about for the Bargman 99s. They're photos of a lamp that I converted to LED for the Amish. A lot of the Amish wanted LED buggy tail lamps that looked like they were not illuminated with LEDs and this is what I came up with. They give the performance of LED and fill the lens with light for an original incandescent look. The incandescent versions of these lamps drew almost 3 Amps. The LED versions draw 0.3 Amps on stop function.

I don't believe that I'll be the supplier. I'm only the designer/manufacturer. The supplier will let himself be known when he's ready and one or the other or both of us will likely post progress reports somewhere in this forum. We have some pretty kool things in the works for the camper/rv world.

Thanks again for the input!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDTAIL1.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	23174   Click image for larger version

Name:	LEDTAIL2.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	23175  

Old 07-04-2006, 10:11 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ever do 6 volt applications?

john
Old 07-05-2006, 04:54 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
FYI, Inland RV already sells them, I don't know who their supplier is.
It seems that some people thought I was trying to put Inland RV out of business by making this statement . I guess I should have elaborated for the rest of the forum members. If Yankee Lighting was already manufacturing these lights, it would be counterproductive to waste time and money developing what they already had.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:25 PM   #8
Yankee Lighting Company
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Emlenton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
ever do 6 volt applications?

john
Yes, in fact, one of the circuits that I'm considering using for the LED 99 operated at full brightness from 4.5 volts and did not overheat or over current up to 28 volts.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
Yankee Lighting Company
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Emlenton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
It seems that some people thought I was trying to put Inland RV out of business by making this statement
Wow, I hope I wasn't taken for one of them. I knew what you meant and I appreciate all kinds of input and comments. Besides, the notion that a lamp designer/manufacturer, like me could put an RV supplier out of business is almost silly. Apples vrs. oranges, I say.

In any case, my only objectives were to find out the proper operation of the original Bargman 99 lamps and to get some good feedback. Objectives met!

Thanks again!
Old 07-05-2006, 06:05 PM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Yes, in fact, one of the circuits that I'm considering using for the LED 99 operated at full brightness from 4.5 volts and did not overheat or over current up to 28 volts.
cool! ever do 50's harley applications?

john
Old 07-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello Number99 ,

I cannot wait for you to get those lights manafactured as these old lamps are
really too dim.Yankee lighting has been around a while hasn't it ? I love those lights on your avatar .I think you can get ahold of a wholesale light co .
so that you can purchase your LEDs jobber cost ,it will take alittle research.
good lighting

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:39 PM   #12
Yankee Lighting Company
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Emlenton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
cool! ever do 50's harley applications?

john
I did do one ol' skool shovelhead. Well, it was ol' skool, except for the LED lights and controller that I built. The customer wanted these mini tear drop lamps converted to LED. The lamps came with tiny bulbs that kept failing due to the vibration. The other issue was making them tail/stop & turn lamps with only one wire per lamp and the housing for ground. I had to build and custom program a flasher controller. It was a bear of a project, but I did get it done. I'm still waiting for the customer to send me photos.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
Yankee Lighting Company
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Emlenton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Hello Number99 ,

I cannot wait for you to get those lights manafactured as these old lamps are
really too dim.Yankee lighting has been around a while hasn't it ? I love those lights on your avatar .I think you can get ahold of a wholesale light co .
so that you can purchase your LEDs jobber cost ,it will take alittle research.
good lighting

Scott
Thanks for the excitment! I promise that I'll work hard and fast on the LED 99s! I can complete the project now, thanks to the great input that I received here.

My trademark has been around since 1915. It was formerly used by Yankee Metal Products Corp and they went out of business in the mid 1980s. I acquired the Yankee® mark last year, along with a few of the old lamps. I wanted the Yankee® mark because it is a mark of quality. My mission is to design & manufacture only the highest quality LED lamps and controllers (and a few classic incandescent lamps!), such that they will long out live the vehicles on which they're installed.

Also, thanks for the flowers about my avatar! Those are my new stainless steel #Yankee 975 SS lamps; my upgrade for the old Yankee 975s that were used on so many different applications. They'll be in production this week.

I've been in the LED game since 1999 and the LED manufacturers send me LOTS of free samples so that I'm aware of their latest creations. Even though I'm a small manufacturer, I get some of the best pricing in the industry.

You guys have me all excited now ... this vintage camper stuff may be the most fun that I've had with lighting in a long time!
Old 07-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #14
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
I did do one ol' skool shovelhead. Well, it was ol' skool, except for the LED lights and controller that I built. The customer wanted these mini tear drop lamps converted to LED. The lamps came with tiny bulbs that kept failing due to the vibration. The other issue was making them tail/stop & turn lamps with only one wire per lamp and the housing for ground. I had to build and custom program a flasher controller. It was a bear of a project, but I did get it done. I'm still waiting for the customer to send me photos.
i am interested in finding a led replacement for the 6 volt 1154 (i think thats the number) stop running lamp in a twist in configuration.

it needs to project the light sideways in a stock guide 55 fixture.

i'll get a pic of the housing...

john
Old 07-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #15
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
this is the housing... attached to my bike of course!

john
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panhead tail light.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	23215  
Old 07-05-2006, 09:24 PM   #16
Yankee Lighting Company
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Emlenton , Pennsylvania
Quote:
this is the housing... attached to my bike of course!

john
Sweet bike man!

OK, you may have several ways to go with that lamp. I want to take a look around the internet for some close-up pics of that lens and the inside of the lamp. What year and model bike am I searching for?

~ Dave
Old 07-06-2006, 04:21 AM   #17
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
1955 harley FL. 6 volt.

i'll get some close ups tonight... this application in 12 volt may be of interest for the monarch fixtures on mine and many other trailers too!

john
Old 07-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #18
Yankee Lighting Company
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Emlenton , Pennsylvania
I found a few photos and I think that HD tail lamp presents a problem using the kind of conversion that you're looking for. It looks like the tail light uses one double contact bulb to also illuminate the license lamp. If you use Red LEDs, your license will illuminate Red, which could attract unwanted attention from those pesky law enforcement officials.

If you use White LEDs, your license will light up fine, but a red lens just about drowns out any light from a white LED from coming through, so you would lose your tail light. I found ready made a 90 deg 1157 conversion that might work, but you would need a voltage booster in the lamp housing to kick it up to 12 volts and you would still have no license illumination. That fixture may require two separate custom conversions within the lamp housing; Red LEDs for the tail/stop and white LEDs for the license, each fixed in different directions.

I don't know what a Monarch lamp looks like yet, so I'm not sure if it would present the same problem as the HD tail lamp.
Old 07-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Number 99 ,

those old clipper tail lamps ,night owl is it or the yankee turn signal/stop light with the arrows ,and some other vintage style ,can you reproduce anything
such as those.I have aleays liked those vintage glass setups immensley.
If you do I will purchase one or more from you .Also glass lense vintage
side marker teardrop lights .Many here would prefer them over the current
ones available ,although they do work nice ,but glass just has that vintage coolness to them ,put me doen four some as well.

Hopeful,

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote