Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Amelia , Ohio
Bad Switch On Bathroom Fan

I have a new-to-me '06 Int'l 19 that seems to have a wonky bathroom ceiling fan. Didn't work at all until my wife took her first shower in it. Then, "Voila!" I can turn it off reliably, but when I turn it on, 70% of the time it goes on, the other 30% of the time, after having pushed the switch fully, I have to just barely tickle the little red push-push switch to get it running.

Is this switch replaceable, or will I have to buy a whole new unit?

Cheers,
Tom
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
The switch is replacable. I went with a rotating switch rather than the push button. I picked the switch up at Ace Hardware. I have the same unit you do and while I was fixing the switch I wired the light fixture to be powered off of the same hot lead as the fan, that way I can turn the light on and off at the swich on the light itself and not have to turn the switch on that powers the lights over the sink.
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambie View Post
I have a new-to-me '06 Int'l 19 that seems to have a wonky bathroom ceiling fan. Didn't work at all until my wife took her first shower in it. Then, "Voila!" I can turn it off reliably, but when I turn it on, 70% of the time it goes on, the other 30% of the time, after having pushed the switch fully, I have to just barely tickle the little red push-push switch to get it running.

Is this switch replaceable, or will I have to buy a whole new unit?

Cheers,
Tom
Tom

Attached is a list of parts for the Ventline Vanair Vent. You can order from them at 888-255-4107. They also have the replacement foam gasket that seals the cover in the closed position. That part number is not on the sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ventline Vent0001.pdf (949.8 KB, 357 views)
Old 03-21-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Amelia , Ohio
Hey, thanks for the replies. I'd love to rewire the light so you don't have to have the vanity switch on. Was that a difficult job? I'm rather inept when it comes to mechanical repairs...thanks also for the link to the mfg. site for parts.

Cheers,
Tom
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnco View Post
The switch is replacable. I went with a rotating switch rather than the push button. I picked the switch up at Ace Hardware. I have the same unit you do and while I was fixing the switch I wired the light fixture to be powered off of the same hot lead as the fan, that way I can turn the light on and off at the swich on the light itself and not have to turn the switch on that powers the lights over the sink.
I'd really like to do that in our Bambi, too....why they didn't do it that way in the first place I will never understand... I will be interested in hearing the details of the rewire...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
It's fairly straight forward. Remove the light fixture from the ceiling and locate the hot lead. Remove the hot lead and cap it off really well. Fish a new hot lead over from the ceiling fan (it was like a 12" run, not too difficult to "fish" over), reconnect the new hot lead and you're in business. While I had the fixture removed from the ceiling I added a small bank of blue colored leds next to existing bulb and an additional push button switch to the side of the light fixture to control the new leds. Now when nature calls in the middle of the night I just hit the switch for the leds and the bathroom is filled with a soft blue light that won't blind you or others sleeping in the trailer. (I know red would have been the better choice, but blue was what I had available). I think I've got pictures, I'll look tonight and post tomorrow if I can find them.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Just one question, John...what color is the hot lead wire? Thanks! This will be a huge improvement!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 03-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
It was so long ago I don't recall. I'm pretty sure it was black, but you would be safer getting an automotive circut tester (looks like a screwdriver with a point at one end and a wire with an alligator clip at the other. When you complete a circut a light in the handle will light up). Find a reliable ground source other than the wires to the light and attach the alligator clip , turn on the vanity light and then touch the point to the terminal end of the wire going to the switch on the light. This should be the hot lead and will make the tester light up. This is the wire you will want to cut and cap off (make sure you leave enough wire coming from the switch on the light fixture to connect your new hot lead onto. You'll need to go thru the same procedure for the fan to find the hot lead there (I'm pretty sure it's the one that the switch is in line with). Run a wire from the hot lead of the fan (make sure you splice into the line prior to the switch on the fan) over to the hot lead to the light fixture and you should be good to go! PM me and I'll send you my number if you need to discuss.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks, John...I think I'll give it a whirl one of these days when I feel in a "modification" mood......will let you know how it works out for me...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 03-22-2011, 09:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
I did it!

Well, thanks to guidance form Johnco we can now turn the light in the bathroom in our 19' Bambi on at the fixture rather than having to turn the bathroom light AND the vanity area lights on....good for those middle-of-the-night trips so as not to disturb everyone else. Thanks John! It probably would have gone faster if I had one or two fewer thumbs, but I made it. Makes me feel like I accomplished something good today ... on an otherwise crap day. I don't lknw why Airstream doesn't put that light on a switch on the bathroom wall or wire it this way to begin with.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
Old 03-23-2011, 09:41 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Irvine , California
Congrats on the successful re-wire. I'll PM you a picture of the colored led and switch addition next time I get a chance to get in there and snap a picture. As you well know, these things are so much fun to "make your own".