Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-21-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
2006 19' International CCD
Amelia , Ohio
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 44
Bad Switch On Bathroom Fan

I have a new-to-me '06 Int'l 19 that seems to have a wonky bathroom ceiling fan. Didn't work at all until my wife took her first shower in it. Then, "Voila!" I can turn it off reliably, but when I turn it on, 70% of the time it goes on, the other 30% of the time, after having pushed the switch fully, I have to just barely tickle the little red push-push switch to get it running.

Is this switch replaceable, or will I have to buy a whole new unit?

Cheers,
Tom
__________________

__________________
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
 
Johnco's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 210
The switch is replacable. I went with a rotating switch rather than the push button. I picked the switch up at Ace Hardware. I have the same unit you do and while I was fixing the switch I wired the light fixture to be powered off of the same hot lead as the fan, that way I can turn the light on and off at the swich on the light itself and not have to turn the switch on that powers the lights over the sink.
__________________

__________________
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
 
2dabeach's Avatar

 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
North/East , New Jersey
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambie View Post
I have a new-to-me '06 Int'l 19 that seems to have a wonky bathroom ceiling fan. Didn't work at all until my wife took her first shower in it. Then, "Voila!" I can turn it off reliably, but when I turn it on, 70% of the time it goes on, the other 30% of the time, after having pushed the switch fully, I have to just barely tickle the little red push-push switch to get it running.

Is this switch replaceable, or will I have to buy a whole new unit?

Cheers,
Tom
Tom

Attached is a list of parts for the Ventline Vanair Vent. You can order from them at 888-255-4107. They also have the replacement foam gasket that seals the cover in the closed position. That part number is not on the sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Ventline Vent0001.pdf (949.8 KB, 172 views)
__________________
2007 Safari 25' FBSE LS
2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 4WD Duramax
2dabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
 
2006 19' International CCD
Amelia , Ohio
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 44
Hey, thanks for the replies. I'd love to rewire the light so you don't have to have the vanity switch on. Was that a difficult job? I'm rather inept when it comes to mechanical repairs...thanks also for the link to the mfg. site for parts.

Cheers,
Tom
__________________
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master
 
TBRich's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,483
Images: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnco View Post
The switch is replacable. I went with a rotating switch rather than the push button. I picked the switch up at Ace Hardware. I have the same unit you do and while I was fixing the switch I wired the light fixture to be powered off of the same hot lead as the fan, that way I can turn the light on and off at the swich on the light itself and not have to turn the switch on that powers the lights over the sink.
I'd really like to do that in our Bambi, too....why they didn't do it that way in the first place I will never understand... I will be interested in hearing the details of the rewire...
__________________
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member
 
Johnco's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 210
It's fairly straight forward. Remove the light fixture from the ceiling and locate the hot lead. Remove the hot lead and cap it off really well. Fish a new hot lead over from the ceiling fan (it was like a 12" run, not too difficult to "fish" over), reconnect the new hot lead and you're in business. While I had the fixture removed from the ceiling I added a small bank of blue colored leds next to existing bulb and an additional push button switch to the side of the light fixture to control the new leds. Now when nature calls in the middle of the night I just hit the switch for the leds and the bathroom is filled with a soft blue light that won't blind you or others sleeping in the trailer. (I know red would have been the better choice, but blue was what I had available). I think I've got pictures, I'll look tonight and post tomorrow if I can find them.
__________________
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
TBRich's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,483
Images: 64
Just one question, John...what color is the hot lead wire? Thanks! This will be a huge improvement!
__________________
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
Johnco's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 210
It was so long ago I don't recall. I'm pretty sure it was black, but you would be safer getting an automotive circut tester (looks like a screwdriver with a point at one end and a wire with an alligator clip at the other. When you complete a circut a light in the handle will light up). Find a reliable ground source other than the wires to the light and attach the alligator clip , turn on the vanity light and then touch the point to the terminal end of the wire going to the switch on the light. This should be the hot lead and will make the tester light up. This is the wire you will want to cut and cap off (make sure you leave enough wire coming from the switch on the light fixture to connect your new hot lead onto. You'll need to go thru the same procedure for the fan to find the hot lead there (I'm pretty sure it's the one that the switch is in line with). Run a wire from the hot lead of the fan (make sure you splice into the line prior to the switch on the fan) over to the hot lead to the light fixture and you should be good to go! PM me and I'll send you my number if you need to discuss.
__________________
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #9
Rivet Master
 
TBRich's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,483
Images: 64
Thanks, John...I think I'll give it a whirl one of these days when I feel in a "modification" mood......will let you know how it works out for me...
__________________
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 10:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
TBRich's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,483
Images: 64
I did it!

Well, thanks to guidance form Johnco we can now turn the light in the bathroom in our 19' Bambi on at the fixture rather than having to turn the bathroom light AND the vanity area lights on....good for those middle-of-the-night trips so as not to disturb everyone else. Thanks John! It probably would have gone faster if I had one or two fewer thumbs, but I made it. Makes me feel like I accomplished something good today ... on an otherwise crap day. I don't lknw why Airstream doesn't put that light on a switch on the bathroom wall or wire it this way to begin with.
__________________
TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
Johnco's Avatar

 
2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 210
Congrats on the successful re-wire. I'll PM you a picture of the colored led and switch addition next time I get a chance to get in there and snap a picture. As you well know, these things are so much fun to "make your own".
__________________

__________________
Johnco is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fan Motor Okiegent Roof Vents, Skylights & Fans 19 05-15-2011 12:58 PM
univolt converter switch position? godaddy64 Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar 8 02-25-2011 01:17 PM
3 way switch just went kaput...replacing? MonaxLisa Lights - Interior & Exterior 24 01-20-2011 05:51 PM
Battery switch behind the sofa LawChick Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 9 01-13-2011 09:52 PM
2004 Safari leaking around bathroom vent fan DJW Leaks - Weatherstrips, Gaskets, Caulks & Sealants 4 01-03-2011 05:12 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.