Old 06-04-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Backup lights

I know I saw a thread about this, and now I can't find it. So I apologize for the redundancy.
I recently removed the plastic tail light assembly on my 72 Argosy, which had a 2 bulb set up, one of which was enclosed with a clear reflector type lens. This would lead me to think that it was a backup light. However, the lamp was lit (both sides) when the TV lights were on. Now I'm installing a 3 lamp tail light lens, and when I hook up the TV and put it in R (reverse, not race), I get nada on the lamp with the clear reflector lens. As usual, I thought I had everything documented before removing the old plastic assembly, but now I can't decipher the photos I took during dis-assembly.
I've hooked the TV up to the umbilical cord and put the TV in R - no lights or turn signal - and tested each wire at the rear of the trailer and get no indication of juice.
So two questions: First, when did AS start using backup lights?
Second, if I don't have wiring to accommodate backup lights, should I just "bundle" the hot wires so that when the TV lights are on the lamp in the clear reflector stays on, or should I disconnect it entirely? But then why did the original set up have the clear lens and lamp?
Ok, that's 3 questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail light 1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	213580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail light 2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	213581  

Old 06-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
I had a 74 AS that had backup lights, my 78 AS had backup lights, and my 77 Argosy has backup lights. I bet your plug to truck is wired wrong. The center pin on the comon 7 spade plug is used for the reverse lights.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:39 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ventport View Post
I had a 74 AS that had backup lights, my 78 AS had backup lights, and my 77 Argosy has backup lights. I bet your plug to truck is wired wrong. The center pin on the comon 7 spade plug is used for the reverse lights.
I'm suspecting the same thing. I'm hoping somebody comes back and has a '71 with backup lights.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Check the center pin on your tow vehicle with a test light to see if it lights when the TV is put in reverse. Be careful and don't back over yourself.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:41 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Well, I tested the center pin on the truck and no voltage from the center pin. Turned on the headlights and got voltage at the appropriate pin on the truck. So I then hooked up a tester to the trailer and confirmed that the wiring does work for back up lights.
I then called the Honda dealer where I purchased the truck and finally got with a tech who spoke electrical. Looks like a bad 7 pin installation on the truck. Fortunately, it's covered under warranty. I'll be taking it in next week for corrective surgery,

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.