Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2004, 04:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Back Up Lights Staying On

Hi Peter here..not the wife who lives on here.....

Just had new wiring installed on the Yukon - all systems are go except the back up lights on the trailer remain on.

They come on as soon as the vehicle is turned on and stay on no matter whether you are in reverse, forward, neutral or park.

Has anyone else had this problem - any solutions?

Thanks Peter
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Sounds like your new wiring has the "charge" wire connected to the backup light wire.

Check the Yukon's wiring receptacle.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2004, 05:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
Sounds like your new wiring has the "charge" wire connected to the backup light wire.

Check the Yukon's wiring receptacle.

Tom

Hi Tom;

It has been a while - hope you had a nice summer! Boy would it be great to hook up with you and spend a weekend going over this trailer. Last time we were talking about the Univolt...for hours and it was left that I need a new capacitor - which I am hoping to get taken care of down at the Florida State Rally.

Your point above is well taken and reminded me to check the charge line in the trailer - looks like it is not working either - thus I figure the trailer harness is reversed - which I do remember disconnecting the Kia back up at the Kia end - and moving the backup wire on the trailer end to the unused pin...this probably resulted in the cross. But if that is not it then the Wiring Shop may have got the wires crossed at the Yukon end - as you have suggested.

Will check it out tomorrow and let you know what the deal was.

While I have you - here is another quick question on the 69 light assembly there are three lights - outside white (backup) middle red Brake and inside smaller amber which I presume is the signal light.

However I only remember the Red light working as both the brake and signal is this normal? or should the small amber light be the signal light and the red brake only?

Peter
Old 11-28-2004, 03:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
...here is another quick question on the 69 light assembly there are three lights - outside white (backup) middle red Brake and inside smaller amber which I presume is the signal light.

However I only remember the Red light working as both the brake and signal is this normal? or should the small amber light be the signal light and the red brake only?
Yes, I would think the amber lights would be turn signal lights. But to accomodate that particular setup electrically, you would have to at least an 8-pin connector going to your tow vehicle instead of [what appears to be] the standard 7-pin connector.

How many pins are on your connector? If there are only seven, you will not be able to take advantage of using the amber lights as turn signals.

Tom
p.s. I suppose one could "cheat" & use the ground wire connection for the eighth wire, but depending on the hitch connection for ground is not a good idea.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:28 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2013 31' Classic
Crossville , Tennessee
9 wire?

Pardon the butt in, but don't I remember Airstream using a 9 wire hookup for two years and changing it back?
Seems like they did..........
jerry
steelbird312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 07:30 AM   #6
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbird312
Pardon the butt in, but don't I remember Airstream using a 9 wire hookup for two years and changing it back?
Seems like they did..........
jerry

They did, but that was when they were feeding a 12 volt line for the refer, I don't think they did it in the 60's
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 11:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Just goes to show you - you should not do things in the dark.

That third light is not a light at all it is just a reflector and it is red not orange.

Got the charge wire hooked up on the right pin but now the back up lights don't come on when in reverse - in fact now they don't come on at all.

Any ideas???
Thanks Peter
Old 11-28-2004, 12:03 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Was the Yukon factory wired?

If not the installer may not have bothered to run a wire from the backup circuit. Most trailers do not have backup lights so the installer rarely hooks them up.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2004, 12:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewkid64
Was the Yukon factory wired?

If not the installer may not have bothered to run a wire from the backup circuit. Most trailers do not have backup lights so the installer rarely hooks them up.

That is a bit of a twist question - yes the Yukon came equipped with the trailer wires both the light duty that ran off the heavy duty under the spare.

However, a 4 pin or 7 pin was not standard unless it was requested - and back then '99 it was dealer installed - from what I have been informed by the dealer.

However the place we had the wiring done - decided to run a new brake and charge wire & installed a solenoid as apparently GM did not install a system to avoid charge drain from the vehicle if still hooked up. As you say they may very well have run new wires from the rear light to make a whole new harness - if they could not be bothered to break into the existing lines. Which I can see that the did not use the light duty wires - and I can not see if they have broken into the existing wires.

I will check it out with them to see if the fellow can remember if he did or not. If not then I would like to tackle that one because I think it would be kind of nice to have back up lights on the trailer - might avoid a few trees in the future

Thanks for the heads up Brett

I look forward to meeting you at the Florida State Rally.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
My wife's '97 Yukon had the wiring already in place for a connector, but no connector was installed. I do not recall a brake controller wire, but I vividly recall the backup light wire as the PO mistakenly wired it to the "ground" wire of his four pin flat connector.

It took me a while to figure out why the fuse blew every so often.

Tom