Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Back up lights not working

I felt confident when on my brand new wiring job on the Bambi II, all of the marker lights, tail lights, license plate light, and brake lights/turn signals worked the very first time!!!

Then I shifted the car into reverse while my dear wife watched for the little white lights to come on...back up lights on a trailer- a luxury we have never experienced...and that still holds true.

They are not working. I have a flat blade 7 connector plug and followed all of the cross-colors from the vehicle to the trailer. The back up lights are Optronics and match the originals. I even added a ground lug to each to decrease the ground problem.

What is my next step? Is there something magical I am missing? Something about back-up lights that is hidden from the diagram?

I suppose I will take my tow vehicle to another trailer to see if I can get backup lights on the other trailer- and rule out faulty wiring on the vehicle end. If it is the trailer end, I do not know what to try...everything is hooked up to or better than spec.

Thanks for any ideas you might have on this mystery of wiring!

Ben
Old 06-24-2014, 07:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
On a seven blade connector, the center (aux) pin usually is the power source for back up lights. Check the pin to see if it is hot when you shift into reverse - if it is, the trouble is in the trailer wiring.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
1961 24' Tradewind
Strasburg , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
On a seven blade connector, the center (aux) pin usually is the power source for back up lights. Check the pin to see if it is hot when you shift into reverse - if it is, the trouble is in the trailer wiring.
I will test to see if the center pin is getting juice...just for kicks, I hooked up the backup lights to the tail light circuit just to see if they worked and that my wiring was sound. They lit up fine. So the problem must be in the vehicle wiring or my color coding...

Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
What is your tow vehicle? Not all of them hook the reverse lights up from the factory. I have also had more than one Chevy that was wired wrong from the factory.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
If you do not have power to the center pin on the TV while in reverse, and you're supposed to, check for a blown fuse. Some vehicles have separate fuses for the trailer connector circuits so a problem in the trailer doesn't take out the TV lights when the fuse blows.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote