Old 08-30-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
back up lights - need part number

Okay - I refurbished the rusted cans and am ready to replace the sockets and bulbs. But, I can't find the part number for the socket/lamp holder. Shoot, the one that I removed was so rusted that I can't even tell if it's a single or double contact.

Additionally,my owners manual says to use a bulb number 1073 and the service manual says lamp number 05069. So, maybe lamp number is the same as lamp holder/socket number? Regardless, I couldn't find either at the auto parts store. Any help is appreciated! HELP!!!!

Laura

Old 08-30-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Typically an automotive type backup light is a single filiment bulb. The old stanndard bulb was a number 1156 single filiment. You should be able to find a single connecter socket at any automotive parts or lighting supply store. Adios, John

Old 08-30-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Have you thought about upgrading to LED lamps? They are a lot brighter than the originals.
Al
Old 08-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
Have you thought about upgrading to LED lamps? They are a lot brighter than the originals.
Al

I guess I have ... and since backups wouldn't alter the fiber optics I might give it some more thought this afternoon.

So, there's no real concern with getting some particular socket? Just a single contact and I'm good to go (if I don't do LED)? I ask because the same situation came up when replacing the socket above the door. I found that those came in different ratings for wattage just like the bulbs.... and not knowing the original watt bulb (didn't have manuals with me), I was kind of stumped.

Laura
Old 08-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Inland had reproduction back up lights on sale a couple of weeks ago for around $14/pair. They look good.
Old 08-30-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Laura,
I just went through this whole process and can give you some advice. I like the vintage look and the fiber optic viewer, so I retained the original red tail lights. I cleaned and painted the light canisters and bought two bulb sockets to place in the canisters. Make sure you buy the sockets with two bayonets or contacts. To establish a ground, I soldered a ground wire with a loop fastener to the socket and screwed the looped end to one of the mounting holes.

My backup light canisters were rusted out and shot beyond repair, so I bought two LED backup lights and glued new vintage style lenses over them so they look vintage. The LED backup lights are very bright and functional but they are also UGLY. Take a look at my blog for pics (there's two entries on this process so look at both).

There are lots of threads on this subject, do a search for more info.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mello mike View Post
Laura,
I just went through this whole process and can give you some advice. I like the vintage look and the fiber optic viewer, so I retained the original red tail lights. I cleaned and painted the light canisters and bought two bulb sockets to place in the canisters. Make sure you buy the sockets with two bayonets or contacts. To establish a ground, I soldered a ground wire with a loop fastener to the socket and screwed the looped end to one of the mounting holes.

My backup light canisters were rusted out and shot beyond repair, so I bought two LED backup lights and glued new vintage style lenses over them so they look vintage. The LED backup lights are very bright and functional but they are also UGLY. Take a look at my blog for pics (there's two entries on this process so look at both).

There are lots of threads on this subject, do a search for more info.
Crap. Since I didn't get any response for a particular part number socket, I went to another auto parts store and bought two automotive sockets that have single contacts --- as I dug out the original rusted OEM one and thought it looked like it had been a single, thus confirming John's response.

I'm wondering why you mention using a double contact.... could ours be that different? And the grounding issue is another concern. If single contact, do I need a ground? Oh my ---- I'm going to look at your blog and see how you put the LEDs in. I recall you posting about glueing the vintage cover on and it sounded nice. I don't really need the b/u lights working before my trip this weekend, but had hoped to have them back in just for *looks*....

Laura
c
Old 08-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
The single contact means it is a single filiment, the case or socket if you will is the ground. The single wire off of the single(center) contact goes to the 12v dc elecrical source. A double contact socket the case is still the ground, the two contacts at the base of the socket are both 12v dc also. But the double contact bulb( usually an 1157) has two differant wattages, hence the brake lights are brighter than the taillights. Some sockets depending on the manufacturer will have a seperate ground wire instead of relying on the case. Thus a single contact 1156 backup light would have two wires while a double contact 1157 tail/stoplight will have three wires. Adios, John
Old 09-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
How's this look

Okay, I got a single contact socket and soldered a ground wire to it. This was my first time soldering and had a bit of phone guidance from my dad. How's this look?

I am stumped on how this actually grounds the socket. I know it will be secured to the can via the attach screw, but the can is not grounded. I think the attach fastener just goes through the can and into the aluminum panel. Does that provide a ground path?

Laura
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backup socket.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	86449  
Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post
Okay, I got a single contact socket and soldered a ground wire to it. This was my first time soldering and had a bit of phone guidance from my dad. How's this look?

I am stumped on how this actually grounds the socket. I know it will be secured to the can via the attach screw, but the can is not grounded. I think the attach fastener just goes through the can and into the aluminum panel. Does that provide a ground path?

Laura
Hi Laura,
That should work just fine. Yes, the wire provides a ground to the trailer by connecting to the screw. I posted a new pic of this socket in my blog.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
http://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Stoney Creek , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkill View Post

Laura
The dual bayonette bulbs can be either dual filament or single with a ground. All bulbs need a hot and a ground (or two hots and a ground) and on autos the ground is provided by the socket shell contacting the outer metal of the bulb bayonette. Some of the airstream bulbs are single filament dual bayonette and have two wires (one hot, one ground). This ensures that they work when there isn't a good metal to metal contact to the trailer ground.

The soldered ground wire works fine in most cases (and isn't needed if the bulb socket is attached to the metal trailer body). If you have two wires you can connect the soldered wire from the socket to the ground and provide a good ground connection as well (this is what I did on some bulbs like the license plate light).

Not sure if this helps or makes things muckier

Best,
Alex
Old 09-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
reno , NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by astewart View Post
The dual bayonette bulbs can be either dual filament or single with a ground. All bulbs need a hot and a ground (or two hots and a ground) and on autos the ground is provided by the socket shell contacting the outer metal of the bulb bayonette. Some of the airstream bulbs are single filament dual bayonette and have two wires (one hot, one ground). This ensures that they work when there isn't a good metal to metal contact to the trailer ground.

The soldered ground wire works fine in most cases (and isn't needed if the bulb socket is attached to the metal trailer body). If you have two wires you can connect the soldered wire from the socket to the ground and provide a good ground connection as well (this is what I did on some bulbs like the license plate light).

Not sure if this helps or makes things muckier

Best,
Alex
Helped! Though on first reading, muckier. Thanks Alex.

Laura
Old 09-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Stoney Creek , Ontario
Sorry, should also say that the single filament double contact bulb replacement is a 1004 and the single filament single contact replacement bulb is a 1003.

Alex
Old 09-01-2009, 08:57 AM   #14
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
say, you wouldn't happen to have a manufacturer and part # for those LED backup lights, would you?

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote