Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by dprvashon View Post
Okay.... here are a couple of shots of where the lights go and what they look like including the power plug. The LED strip extends the length of the awning minus about 6". It is stuck to a flexible part of the awning base just before the ribbed aluminum. There is a 1" or so strip of flexible material. Again, the power for mine is above the rear door, I assume because it is close to where they put the switch.

Let me know if you have questions.

Excellent - thanks. So those look very similar to the Supernight version - only perhaps more heavy duty and durable (I'm on set #2 just this season &#128563. Appreciate the pic. How does it connect to your power - is there a connection in the skin somewhere?
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:31 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vashon , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Excellent - thanks. So those look very similar to the Supernight version - only perhaps more heavy duty and durable (I'm on set #2 just this season ��). Appreciate the pic. How does it connect to your power - is there a connection in the skin somewhere?
Note the power jack on the trailer picture. It is the where the LED light power jack fits into and a twist nut tightens it, sealing it. The power jack wire feeds through the trailer skin, under the awning. The power plug (seen on the light picture) is the same type as you find on other electronic devices.

The picture of the trailer shows without the light installed, just the power jack waiting for the new light to be installed, by your's truly, tomorrow.

Does this help?
dprvashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Thanks - man I'm slow on the uptake 😃

I get it now - thanks!
Old 10-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vashon , Washington
LED Install Update

Hi all.... okay and update. I went to the dealer and got the replacement LED strip. It is from ITC-US.COM and is the 'Janus' line : Janusâ„¢ Side Emitting LED Linear Light - ITC RV

It came rolled around a wheel with 3M tape attached. A very simple install to slowly pull off the tape as I adhere it to the trailer. But I do need to amend my other post in that it installs directly to the trailer body just below the ribbed aluminum part of the awning and not to the awning, else it would roll up into the awning (not good!). I plugged it into the jack and turned on the switch.....TADAaaa.... all lights work.

Their web site says you can buy some of their lights on Amazon but I was not able to find the exact part (#TSB1263-46015R-WTC (181.10"))
dprvashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:55 PM   #25
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
I installed two strips of LED's along the first two rows of the aluminum awning cover last April and used them all summer. These came with a remote controller which allows color selection, dimming, and if you want them to chase, flash, etc., etc. You do have to mount an RF button somewhere convenient as this controls the function. I mounted kill switches on an electrical panel in my closet. One word of caution with regard to fastening these strips. The 3M tape is NOT of VHB caliber and wherever you mount these strips up top (body or awning cover), they will encounter major heat in the summer. After one strip showed some loosening, I replaced the stock tape with VHB. The good news is that IF you ever want to remove the LED's you can do so. (Sorry the photo is flipped...should've taken it "long" way for posting.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2574.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	249494  
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:21 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
I installed two strips of LED's along the first two rows of the aluminum awning cover last April and used them all summer. These came with a remote controller which allows color selection, dimming, and if you want them to chase, flash, etc., etc. You do have to mount an RF button somewhere convenient as this controls the function. I mounted kill switches on an electrical panel in my closet. One word of caution with regard to fastening these strips. The 3M tape is NOT of VHB caliber and wherever you mount these strips up top (body or awning cover), they will encounter major heat in the summer. After one strip showed some loosening, I replaced the stock tape with VHB. The good news is that IF you ever want to remove the LED's you can do so. (Sorry the photo is flipped...should've taken it "long" way for posting.)
Cool... is that the LED with remote on Amazon? Can you explain more about your install and setup?
Thanks!
Mic
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 10:53 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Royal Oak , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereagle2 View Post
They riveted the strip along the aluminum part of the awning closest to where the awning is attached to the trailer side, ran a line into the trailer outside wall directly underneath the left side of the Zip Dee awning arm, and connected it to a new indoor light switch that has a dimmer and built in fuse (just like the switch we already had that controls the indoor cabin LED ceiling lights). It runs off of the 12 volt power, so we can use this anytime - but we have to have the awning out to see the lights. (See pictures attached)

I told the guys at Jackson Center they may be having more people request this once I let the word out.... Enjoy!
There is a lot to be said about having the work done properly by Airstream themselves. First, they know what they are doing (unlike me!) plus it is a factory wiring hook up.

Did you get a chance to use the lights much since August? Did they perform as expected?

We are considering taking a trip to Airstream and taking the tour. Is this something they can do in one day if we plan ahead?
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Henry - 2013 F150 Super Crew XLT w/ HD Towing
wecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:46 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Cary , North Carolina
Yes we have used the LED light strip on our last 2 trips to Alabama and to Disneyworld Fort Wilderness. The best use of them was at Fort Wilderness where we left the awning open the entire time since the weather was very calm (no wind forecasted) and many campers tend to keep their awnings out and lights on to help create that "magical" effect around the campground. There were absolutely no water leaks where they installed the wire thru the skin and the dimmer switch inside was a great feature. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1448113499.974931.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  97.4 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1448113545.706838.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:   ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1448113580.804415.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  73.7 KB

The factory can install this in about 4 hours so if you call ahead and make an appointment you should have no problem getting this done within a single day. We camped at the free Terraport on site and got up early on the service day for them to pull the trailer into the service bay promptly at 7:30AM. They have a nice lobby to hang out with our dog and I took the factory tour in the afternoon - well worth it! Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
silvereagle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Where does the power cord actually enter the trailer?
Quote:
Excellent - thanks. So those look very similar to the Supernight version - only perhaps more heavy duty and durable (I'm on set #2 just this season &#128563. Appreciate the pic. How does it connect to your power - is there a connection in the skin somewhere?
cactusjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:32 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
Where does the power cord actually enter the trailer?

Hi - since you quoted me, I'll answer for my setup. The light strip goes along the top of the belt line with the power connection towards the front of the trailer. I run an extension cord from there to the external power outlet on out 27FB but could probably connect straight to the battery.

The factory setup attaches the strip of lights just under where the awning rolls up and runs the cable inside the trailer.
Old 04-02-2016, 09:25 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
So here is my dilemma. I like the OEM LED lights but they are only white and a full blown OEM retrofit is pretty steep. I am thinking the compromise is to go with something like Boogey lights, mounted like the OEM and with power run into the trailer. Sound like a reasonable way to go?

Does anyone have good pictures of the OEM light strip with power lead going into the trailer for a FC 23 or similar?
Old 04-02-2016, 09:28 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
So here is my dilemma. I like the OEM LED lights but they are only white and a full blown OEM retrofit is pretty steep. I am thinking the compromise is to go with something like Boogey lights, mounted like the OEM and with power run into the trailer. Sound like a reasonable way to go?

I don't see why not. Others have done it. Just have to be comfortable drilling in to something to run the wires. Or, use longer extension cords outside the trailer to connect to the external outlet - or - run something to the battery box. Certainly can be done. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks. One of the last mods for a while and have the time to do it right.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
With the light strip installed in the OEM position, does the awning have to be completely open to see the lights? If not, is there a way to partially open the awning?
Old 04-19-2016, 10:56 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
I purchased an awning light strip and want to have the dealer install essentially like the OEM one. I will not need the switch since it is RF.

Question: How much is the Labor cost to do the factory install?
Old 04-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
I purchased an awning light strip and want to have the dealer install essentially like the OEM one. I will not need the switch since it is RF.

Question: How much is the Labor cost to do the factory install?

Hi. I don't have the receipt with me but I think it was 2 hours of labor (which included the installation of the internal switch). JC's rate is $125/hr.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:56 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2015 23' Flying Cloud
2023 Interstate 19
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks. I think Bay Area Airstream told me 3 hours. I would think their rate should be similar.

Quote:
Hi. I don't have the receipt with me but I think it was 2 hours of labor (which included the installation of the internal switch). JC's rate is $125/hr.