Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
Artificial Light

So, call me crazy or out of touch, but I am not "feeling" these new LED interior bulbs. Not really impressed by either the "cool" or "warm" temp variety. There is just something very nice about that warm glow from an open vintage Airstream window at night--so inviting. LED's, on the other hand, make me feel like I am working in a mobile lab or something. I know that they are more efficient but don't feel the need to have my trailer lit up like Walmart at night.

We just toured the factory in Jackson Center, and the tour guide (who was fantastic) said something I found interesting about the new LED's. He was talking about the color of the flooring and fabric choices that Airstream has to offer, and how great they look under the LED's. As an avid amateur photographer this just drove it all home for me. LED's are more than just light. They are an effect. Wanna take great pictures of your family? Take them outside at just before dusk or right at dawn. Natural light can be amazing. Wanna take great photos of the inside of an IKEA store? Use LED's.
Don't get me wrong. I love the LED's for running lights, which is where they really look awesome. - behind translucent,colored plastic.

Seriously.
thomdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I completely agree, the color is not as good as incandescent lighting. But we use solar power a lot and truly appreciate the low energy use, as well as low heat output.

This technology is quite new and improving; in a few years we'll probably be changing out lights for something nicer.

doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 23' Safari
Niagara on the Lake , Ontario
I replaced most of my interior incandescent bulbs with LED strips this year.

The interior light covers are slightly yellowed from age (36 years) and the combination of the very white light from the LED's and the yellow from the plastic covers makes for much warmer interior light. When I first turned on the lights to try the LED's without the covers I hated how white and cold the light was!
AldeanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Well you might try this.....

Bob
Old 09-20-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomdial View Post
LED's, on the other hand, make me feel like I am working in a mobile lab or something. I know that they are more efficient but don't feel the need to have my trailer lit up like Walmart at night.
I share your sentiments.

I am using LEDs in utility areas where the quality of the light matters less and power consumption or heat are important factors. For me these include the exterior storage lockers, the shower, and the range hood.

With good triphosphor tubes (which are getting hard to find), the fluorescent fixtures provide, IMO, reliable service, high quality light of the proper color temperature, and efficiency approaching that of the LEDs for general lighting.
Old 09-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Could not agree more. The spectrum on LED is just too narrow and not what we are accustomed too. I with the aluminum walls and those LEDs, I feel like I am in the O.R.

I've been struggling about what to do with it. I try to never turn on the overheads unless I am looking for a lost button on the floor. I think my first term solution will be to get some nice old fashioned incandescents to use in some small lamps and sconces.
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
I totally agree. And dimming LED isn't like dimming a halogen light. It doesn't get all warm and romantic, it just get grey and dreary. We battled with the LED lights in our trailer for a while and finally solved it by adding color adjustable ambient lighting above all of the cabinets. Alone or together with the existing hospital LED lighting it makes the trailer much more cozy and inviting.
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlumFalcon View Post
I totally agree. And dimming LED isn't like dimming a halogen light. It doesn't get all warm and romantic, it just get grey and dreary. We battled with the LED lights in our trailer for a while and finally solved it by adding color adjustable ambient lighting above all of the cabinets. Alone or together with the existing hospital LED lighting it makes the trailer much more cozy and inviting.
Incandescent or CFC?
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I even have begun to dislike the fluorescent bulbs intended to replace regular old light bulbs.

The incandescent bulbs in our garage door opener finally failed and I replaced them with the new "curly-q" tubes.

They are bright when one looks directly at them, but they don't penetrate the dark corners of the garage nearly as well as plain old bulbs.

Sometimes what has worked for 100 years is still in service for a reason.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

But it seems everyone likes them for the outside of the trailer, where they do squat for saving battery poop ....can't please everyone.

"if it ain't broke.....fix it 'til it is"

Bob
Old 09-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Being colorblind helps... Look great to us!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
They don't bother me. The only time I need lights in the trailer is when I'm ready to go to bed :-)

I try to get my fix of natural light this way :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-929532100.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	854.0 KB
ID:	196065
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:28 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
Don't get me wrong, I love these things on the outside of the trailer. They make nice Christmas lights too!!
Old 09-21-2013, 08:00 AM   #14

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
At this point we do not camp without external power so energy savings is pretty much a moot point for me. I don't expect that we will replace interiors with LED's. Outside is a different matter and I have replaced the step and the patio light with LED's. The biggest reason is the fact that I left the patio light on all night when we were camped in a campground where we were the only inhabitants. When I woke up I found that the patio lens had partially melted due to the heat of the old bulb. At that point I decided that on any lamp that might be left on all night, I'd replace with a cooler temp LED.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Kirkland , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstephens View Post
Incandescent or CFC?
Actually they're LED, with a remote to control the colors. Here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000175.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	196075  
AlumFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
very nice
Old 09-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Our 2005 19-foot Bambi had 19 incandescent 1141 and one C921 bulb in it. After years of sitting in near darkness when boondocking to save battery power, we recently replaced all interior, and the porch and scare light bulbs, with LEDs. The LED color and brightness is almost indistinguishable from the original incandescent bulbs, and we retained all of the original fixtures.

Not sure why there's a controversy when I can't tell the difference between the incandescents and LEDs, other than we no longer have to worry about the battery drain.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Well you might try this.....

Bob
Way cool. I have got to stop complaining. Jim
Old 09-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Our 2005 19-foot Bambi had 19 incandescent 1141 and one C921 bulb in it. After years of sitting in near darkness when boondocking to save battery power, we recently replaced all interior, and the porch and scare light bulbs, with LEDs. The LED color and brightness is almost indistinguishable from the original incandescent bulbs, and we retained all of the original fixtures.

Not sure why there's a controversy when I can't tell the difference between the incandescents and LEDs, other than we no longer have to worry about the battery drain.
Where did you get your interior LED's? They may be different than the owns they are using in Jackson Center.
Old 09-21-2013, 03:08 PM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomdial View Post
Where did you get your interior LED's? They may be different than the owns they are using in Jackson Center.
From the picture it looks like rope lights, available almost anywhere, including Walmart.