Old 03-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
"Hey, I know you!"

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Irmo , South Carolina
are these for hyperflashing?

I was snooping around in my new to me 2012 23d and I found a pair of 12 volt incandescent bulbs in the cubby under the left front dinette bench cushion. The little hatch door says no flammable items - I guess the heater flex duct stuffed in there won't burn... haven't tried. Are the bulbs there to prevent hyperflashing of the led turn signals?
I guess my next move should be to hook up the tow vehicle, cut on the blinkers and see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	combusted.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	280682   Click image for larger version

Name:	1157incad.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	280683  

Name:	stuffed.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	280684  

Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #2
"Hey, I know you!"

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Irmo , South Carolina
And the answer isÖ

Yes, they must be to prevent hyperflashing of the LED turn signals. They are also wired into the running lights Ė I didnít think that that would be necessary, it might be just for ease of installation. So now the curious can go out and find where their hot little incandescent bulbs are hidden in their LED trailers. Donít need no fires!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	flash.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	280803  
Attached Files

Old 09-29-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
This is the closest thread I've found to what I am facing, I don't get hyper flasing I just get warnings about a signal light being out on my German TV anytime I have the trailer connected. It likely doesn't impact anything, I don't know if it has anything to do with the couple of times that the TV didn't detect that a trailer was present and switch to towing mode...could be entirely unrelated and may have been caused by dirty/corroded 7-pin connector that has now been corrected.

Initially I purchased a in-line 7-pin adapter plug that was supposed to solve this, it is referred to as a "7-Way Flat Pin to 7-Flat Pin Adapter with LED Lamp Out By-Pass for European Vehicles" but it doesn't do anything from what I can see.

I am thinking of adding some resistors to solve the problem though, not just bulbs. I am just not sure if I need to add some additional "heat sink" to the resistors. They are "50W 6ohm Load Resistors - Fix LED Bulb Fast Hyper Flash Turn Signal Blink Error Code", which should solve the issue.

Should I just live with the failed signal warning (just a blinking light anytime signals are on)? Or should I go ahead and attach these similarly to these incandescent bulbs to add more load? Since they are only on when signals are on I wouldn't think they would get too extremely hot, but not sure if I should buy some aluminum plate to attach them to. I have seen mention of them getting hot enough to "melt plastic", but I do wonder if it is because people mounted them to their running lights and not just signal lights (most of these seem to be for auto LED conversions).

I suppose I could wire one up and leave at the blinkers on while monitoring the temperature...
SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:35 AM   #4
"Hey, I know you!"

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Irmo , South Carolina
The hyper-flashing hack in my camper turned out to be a non-problem for me - I removed the hidden incandescent bulbs and my blinkers worked just fine. The previous owner must have installed them to fix an issue with his tow vehicle. Good luck with your LED problem.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:49 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Newtown , Pennsylvania
You replace your running and brake/turn bulbs with LED bulbs to save energy. Then you have to install resistors or incandescent bulbs in the circuit to make them work properly. How stupid is that!!! That's like putting a brick on the accelerator pedal, and using your brakes to control your speed. Auto manufacturers need to get with it.

Bruce
PD9160 converter, Prosine 1800 inverter
2x eu2000i Propane
AstroBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 22' Sport
Portland , Oregon
I donít disagree, it is odd that my car is 100% LED lighting other than the headlamps, those are HID. But it is strange that the system doesnít seem to allow for LED trailer lighting and detects a bulb fault, even though all of the lights work fine...and since it is digital it doesnít hyperflash, just gives an error indicator for the signal circuit.

SilverHouseDreams is offline   Reply With Quote