Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Tracy , California
Anyone out there with ammeter/shunt experience?

I bought a nice ammeter/voltmeter/watt meter for my 1995 Sovereign.
It has a shunt which is meant to be installed in negative (ground) lead
between batteries and the rest of the electrical system. The shunt is used to generate a signal for the ammeter/watt meter.

Problem is the manual has lots of information regard hot side of circuit.
Very little information regarding ground side. Wiring diagrams all show connections to ground, but very little information regarding physical arrangement of ground wires.

The trailer is a 21 foot with two battery cases up front. The black cables come out of the battery cases then disappear behind aluminum.

Does anyone have experience hooking up a shunt in an Airstream?
johnobuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
This is how I did it on the '78 Sovereign

Don't know about the '95, but on the '78 the ground (negative) battery leads are also fused, if this is the case (they are individually fused), the wiring will have to be modified to combine the leads to only one line to go through the shunt.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1995 21' Sovereign
Tracy , California
Smile Progress on installing shunt for ammeter

Thanks Dennis,

It's nice to see a picture of the shunt/battery in a vintage trailer.

I finally got the ground wiring for the 95 Sovereign figured out today. The Sovereign has two batteries, but no fuses or shunts in the negative leads.

The negative leads from the two batteries apparently join in the 12V distribution box under the front window. (see pictures)

The grounds are all at the lower left. In order to insert the shunt, I removed
the two black wires going left and right at the top of the ground block.
I removed these two black wires from the ground block and attached them to one side of the shunt. Next I ran a black wire from the other side of the shunt to the ground block.

The ammeter/wattmeter works fine. I'll figure out how to route wires and make things pretty next weekend and then post some pictures.

If anyone wants to put in an ammeter/watt meter/voltmeter, I got mine on ebay.

Digital DC Boat Golf Solar Power Watt Volt Amp Meter - eBay (item 350239500736 end time Aug-19-09 19:58:57 PDT)

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Circuit Box.1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	384.3 KB
ID:	85507   Click image for larger version

Name:	Diagram.1.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	85508  

johnobuttons is offline   Reply With Quote