Old 08-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
another mystery light dilemma

We are in the final stages of getting our unit on the road. My husband was hooking up the lights and brakes - he had to run the wiring for the truck as there wasn't a towing package on it. But we have hit a snag.

When we brought this home all we had working was the clearance/running lights. When he started yesterday it was the same thing; after some cleaning and removal of the rear lens caps we found a few bulbs gone. He was short of bulbs but used a couple he had and we had all the lights on and working except for the very outside running lights at the rear brake/turn/running light section. He went and bought new bulbs and put them all in. He also replaced the three front clearance lights.

He then wired up those two outside rear lights to the rear running lights since some PO had cut the wires to them (green wire) and then nothing worked. He went back and disconnected those two lights and we still had nothing. Hmm. With some messing around we finally got the clearance lights and the back up lights to work but when we put the left turn signal on all four lights flash. When we put the right turn on it works normally.

We are not finding any juice now on the red wire for the left turn signal, but when doing a continuity check from this wire to the front it is fine.
Additionally, when we put the working turn light on the tow vehicles turn lights dim.

After reading on this forum I personally went and checked to be sure that the bulbs were the correct ones and in the correct places. If my husband has them right - with single filament in four places and only double filaments at the turn signals.

Summer is almost gone, and I am so close to getting this on the road, but we have now lost almost all weekend and still are no further with the light situation.

I am all ears for some help.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Is the unit hooked to the tow vehicle? this might sound like a goofy question but electricity is strange and when the ground isnt good it will track thru all different circuits, you will have moving symptoms nothing will stay the same, get one thing fixed something else changes. Good Luck

Old 08-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Yes it was, and my husband also was fussing with the ground to be sure that it was indeed well grounded.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:50 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Electricity is a night mare So Good Luck
Old 08-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
orange Park , Florida
When you had the lenses off and the bulbs removed, how many of the sockets had one pin in in the center and how many had two? I agree with Mustang, TV needs to be hooked up and the ground from TV to trailer needs to be checked before any other checks are done. From your pics it lookes like there are three lights per side, center appears to be a running light, it could have one or two pins in center of socket. If it has one then it is running light only, two would have brake and turn also. The center light looks to be reverse lights, should have one filiment bulbs there. the outside lights should have two pins in sockets, for brake,turn and running lights. As far as your turn signal issue on the left side, sounds like you have the turn signal lead wired to the actual running light or you have a one filiment bulb installed in a two pin socet causing voltage to bleed into running light circuit. Do the clearance lights blink with the left turn signal?
Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
69AmbassFl

I am not the one with the newly wired TV; LOL. That is another post, but we both have similar issues. However, we have juice ok at the tow vehicle and at the plug so know that the issue is somewhere with the trailer.

According to the owner's manual the outside light is the turn signal/stop, the center is the back up light and the inner is the clearance/running light.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
another mystery light dilemma

Is it possible that the trailer's connector hasn't been rewired to the current standard for the 7-pole plug? The original '78 wiring schematic for the plug that Airstream utilized was not the same as the current standard -- I know that I had to install a new Bargman plug on my Minuet prior to towing it home for the first time so that its pattern would match my '99 Suburban.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
orange Park , Florida
well if your owners manual is correct you wouldn't need any double element bulbs as the turn signal and brake light are run off the same element.This is reason I said to look in center of bulb sockets for the one or two pins. You also may have a misprinted owners manual, we get that on service manuals at the car dealership I work at all the time, makes fixing one a pain at times.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Kevin

Hubby says that he changed the wiring to match vehicle/trailer.

He wants to know if someone can tell him how many amps there should be at the pigtail coming from the tow vehicle.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:49 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
When my 75 Argosy sits over the winter the tail lamps will loose their ground where the lamp housing mounts/screws to the body of the trailer. Loss of this ground causes the back up light to illuminate with the tail light and illuminiate and blink with the signal. The back up light gets its' ground from the tail light on the Argosy since the back up light housing is not screwed directly onto the body of the trailer.This is easily corrected by loosening the screw that mounts the tail light housing and re-tightening it. You do not want to just keeping tightening as this will eventually strip the hole.

A loss of ground like this might be your problem. With the lights on and the lenses removed try twisting the lamp housing mounting screws or run a jumper wire from a good ground and connect it to the lamp housings or sockets. A bad ground at just one light could cause problems with all of the lamps on the same side.

Roger
Old 08-30-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
I triple checked the bulbs right now and they are indeed correct: each side has two single bulbs and one double; they are pulled out right now so I could verify by looking in the socket and by the wires going into the lights as well.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
orange Park , Florida
What color wires go to the out side lights and what color wires go to the center ones? Not concerned with reverse light at moment. If you have 2 wires other than a ground at the outside light, one of them will be a running light the other will be turn/brake light.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
1961 26' Overlander
Harmony , Pennsylvania
Yes, that is the way they are. Outermost lights have two wires plus ground for stop and turn. Red is left turn and the brown is supposed to be the right turn; plus green is running light.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
orange Park , Florida
your trailer is wired the same as my 69 as far as the colors go. You should have a green wire to all 4 lights, a red to the left outer and a brown to the right outer. The red wire is stop and turn together as is the brown wire.when you have the green wire attached to the right wire on socket and the running lights on the tallest element should be lit.the sorter one should come on with either the brakes depressed or turn signal function. There should be a wire that connects the outer light with the inner one.