Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-28-2009, 06:38 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Am I Nuts Or Just Getting Old? Both!?

Nice new batteries and battery shut off switch under the new little storage shelf we made to hide converter etc. But in the process I confused myself and you guys just GOTTA help.
I turn batteries ON and of course I have all 12v stuff operating. I turn batteries OFF. I plug into house current and of course my AC, lamps etc. work normally. But NO 12 volt stuff. Is that right? Seems to me the converter is supposed to take 110 and convert it to 12v when the batteries are OFF. So even when I am on shorepower my 12v stuff should ALSO work.
Have I slipped a cog?
Anniedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:50 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anniedog View Post
Nice new batteries and battery shut off switch under the new little storage shelf we made to hide converter etc. But in the process I confused myself and you guys just GOTTA help.
I turn batteries ON and of course I have all 12v stuff operating. I turn batteries OFF. I plug into house current and of course my AC, lamps etc. work normally. But NO 12 volt stuff. Is that right? Seems to me the converter is supposed to take 110 and convert it to 12v when the batteries are OFF. So even when I am on shorepower my 12v stuff should ALSO work.
Have I slipped a cog?
You can leave the batteries connected while using 12 volt, and connected to shore power. You can disconnect the batteries if you are not going to use the trailer for a few weeks, or months.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:00 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
It sounds like the switch is connected between the house and the batteries/converter. I made sure my converter was on the house side of the switch so when I turn off the switch NOTHING is hooked to the batteries.

Although it maybe possible depending on you converter style, I don't use the converter to run the 12v lights unless the battery switch is ON. One multi stage charger I had didn't care to work properly unless there was a battery hooked to it.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1962 22' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Am I Nuts Or Just Getting Old? Both!?

If you are anything like me, the answer is YES!!

The answers you have gotten are correct, just flip the switch
FLYNCLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The 120 circuit is a separate circuit from 12v. Your description sounds like your 12v circuits are wired converter to battery to 12v circuits opposed to converter to 12v fuses to battery. The battery disconnect switch is more for long term storage use, to prevent parasitic drains of appliance circuit boards, etc.