Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-25-2019, 06:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Adding Brake Lights to Fiamma Bike Rack

Hi folks - I’m looking for kits and/or parts recommendations for additional brake lights to add to a bike rack. I’m most interested in how to tap-into the trailers brake lighting so I can run wire to new lights for the rack. I appreciate any help and advice you can offer! Thanks!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
Also interested.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
I would suggest you look at these tail light strips from etrailer. I used one for a high mount brake light on our trailer. I added one of their taillight converter modules so it's also tied into the 4 way emergency flashers. Apparently the current modules allow you to do all three; lights, brake & turn.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...ils=.questions

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear View.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	344530

FYI: The window drip cap is not black, there is a strip of black silicone rubber to cover up the piano hinge to keep water out. The PO put in the piano hinge and it allows water to weep inside when the wind blows rain against the window. Shot the photo at just the right angle that the reflection onto the underside of the drip cap is black.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 06:27 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 57Vintage View Post
I would suggest you look at these tail light strips from etrailer. I used one for a high mount brake light on our trailer. I added one of their taillight converter modules so it's also tied into the 4 way emergency flashers. Apparently the current modules allow you to do all three; lights, brake & turn.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lig...ils=.questions

Attachment 344530

FYI: The window drip cap is not black, there is a strip of black silicone rubber to cover up the piano hinge to keep water out. The PO put in the piano hinge and it allows water to weep inside when the wind blows rain against the window. Shot the photo at just the right angle that the reflection onto the underside of the drip cap is black.
Thanks; these would be a great addition. BUT, where.did you access the trailers brake/turn signal/flasher wiring to connect the new light’s wiring? That’s where I’m stumped.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Battle Ground , Washington
Since I'm not familiar with your trailer, I don't know whether you can access those wires inside the trailer through an access panel or by removing the taillights themselves. Either way after splicing into the existing wiring you'd want to feed the new wiring through your outer skin with a water tight outlet (grommet) to the bike rack. There are several products available to splice into your existing wiring and provide a water tight opening.

Here are a couple of the Q&A answers from etrailer on the light I gave you a link to that may help you under stand the connections needed.

https://www.etrailer.com/question-260246.html

https://www.etrailer.com/question-254937.html

This wouldn't require an RV technician. A good automotive tech that does electrical work could also handle this, if you aren't comfortable with electrical. Just make sure whoever does the work puts a proper water tight seal around the wiring where it exits your outer skin.

Hopefully someone following this, that has a trailer similar to yours, can add more detail and photos to help you out.

Our thread:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f97...er-172124.html
57Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
My solution in consideration of a black cover was to add a set of lights from I believe a 16' ??

https://tinyurl.com/y3uytvde

I had thought a lot about how to get power from each of the existing bezels. One side backed up to the sink vanity so was somewhat accessible. The other backed up to the shower...not so. My initial thought was to attach a portable light bar to the bikes and run power to a plug, possibly mounted on the back wall or inside the rear storage. In the end I didn't want to penetrate the skin so opted for the lights. Dealer did the work and worked out great.

Very happy with the additional lights. I believe it helps provides a better visual in heavy traffic as well.

Another option that I simply did not have time to explore is a light bar controlled by a wireless connection of some sort. I have seen it on vehicles connected to a tow truck.
b
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1570 med.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	344576   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bikes 12-18-2018 (6) med.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	422.0 KB
ID:	344577  

CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:25 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Astoria , Oregon
Blazer C6304 LED Wireless Magnetic Trailer Towing Light Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJEICDS..._3x8eDb4KAKDKK
Saw this on Amazon. Seems easy enough. I think I’ll have to try it.
tschambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 20' Basecamp
1968 17' Caravel
Los Osos , California
I'm giving thought to adapting these to my Fiamma Bike Carrier.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

The cable could be lengthened to run under the trailer to the 4pin port next to the 7-way on my RAM. I'm assuming that the brake, turn and tail light functions would work simultaneously through both the 4-pin and 7 pin connectors.
SilverWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 05:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschambo View Post
Blazer C6304 LED Wireless Magnetic Trailer Towing Light Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJEICDS..._3x8eDb4KAKDKK
Saw this on Amazon. Seems easy enough. I think I’ll have to try it.

Just a heads up as this looks very promising. Watched the video and it indicated for vehicles under 80" wide. Not sure where the 80 comes from (Code or Mfg) and possibly other Blazer products may accommodate greater widths.

b
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
IMHO, tap into the existing rear light
add a small female connector on the the read of the AS, get one with a rain cap
plus what ever type of light you get, just plug into that connector

then when not in use, all you see is the cap on the connector
p.s. i would fuse the add-on device , in case it shorts out, you don't blow the rest of the circuit
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 06:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Wheaton , Illinois
Check your tow vehicle trailer connectors. Many vehicles now provide both a 7 pin round receptacle for our trailer as well as a standard 4 pin receptacle for simpler trailers (SilverWind touched on this earlier). Getting the wire to the back of the trailer, I'll let you use your imagination.

Walmart, Harbor Freight, Home Depot, etc. all sell lighting kits for trailers but you would have to figure out a bracket or mount for attaching to the bike rack.

Greg
greghoro is offline   Reply With Quote