Old 09-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1965 22' Safari
Shelter Island , New York
A tale of temporary trailer lights, wires and windows, oh my!

I just purchased my first airstream, a 1965 Safari, and I've already learned a valuable lesson.

Lesson Learned: When using temporary magnetic trailer lights to transport an airstream, routing the wires through the front and back windows is the best way to go, but don't close those windows all the way.

I picked up my tow vehicle, a 14 foot U-haul truck, got over and hooked up the Safari at Camper's Barn. After making sure the hitch was secure and the temporary magnetic lights were working, I closed the front and rear windows (I had opened them to run the wires for the lights through) and headed off.

As planned, I drove about 100 feet and stopped to walk around and make sure everything still seemed fine. I found I already had a problem - the magnetic lights weren't working now!

I looked at the setup and decided that when I had closed the front and rear windows, the trailer light wires had gotten pinched too hard. I cut and spliced the wires at both windows and they still didn't work. My wonderful and patient wife Kathleen ran back into Camper's Barn and bought a new set of magnetic lights (at the inflated price of $50 for the same set I got on Amazon for $30). These didn't work either, so now I knew the problem was the truck - Ugh!

I called U-haul of Kingston and Paul the manager there couldn't have been nicer. We tried to find a fuse but they all seemed intact. He wound up bringing me a 14' truck since they didn't have another 10'. The new lights worked fine on the new truck and I got home without further incident. I haven't checked the functional status of the spliced lights, yet.
My conclusion is that when I dogged the windows down, they really bit into the wires and created a short that fired something in the truck. Maybe it popped a fuse I didn't find, but whatever happened, I lost about 3 hours and most of my daylight. I had closed the windows tight because I was worried about them flapping up and down in the breeze as I drove at highway speed and getting damaged. In retrospect, the concern was unnecessary with the front and back windows because they didn't move at all. the breeze smoothly came in the front and left the back.
Dag68 is offline   Reply With Quote