Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
davidz71's Avatar
 
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,150
Images: 23
80's tailight gasket?

I found a rear tailight lens cracked at one corner of my '86 Sovereign probably because I tightened the screw a little tighter than I should have when I replaced a blown bulb. I ordered several new lens and am ready to replace two now and maybe two later on. I've noticed that there is some "crud" on the inside of most of the lens and found that none had any type of gasket around the edge of the lens. OK, should there be a gasket and what type of material should it be? Thanks in advance.
__________________

__________________
Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #2
Retired Moderator
 
john hd's Avatar
 
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,644
Images: 40
craig

these are the square ones made by monarch?

john
__________________

__________________
you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 09:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
davidz71's Avatar
 
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,150
Images: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
craig

these are the square ones made by monarch?

john
Yes John, I believe you are correct.
__________________
Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 04:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
balrgn's Avatar
 
1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,410
Images: 74
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
I found a rear tailight lens cracked at one corner of my '86 Sovereign probably because I tightened the screw a little tighter than I should have when I replaced a blown bulb. I ordered several new lens and am ready to replace two now and maybe two later on. I've noticed that there is some "crud" on the inside of most of the lens and found that none had any type of gasket around the edge of the lens. OK, should there be a gasket and what type of material should it be? Thanks in advance.
Have you checked here?

__________________
'74 Overlander (T-O-Bee)
'46 Spartan Manor (Rosie)
'54 Cruiser (Bogart)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 05:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
peegreen's Avatar
 
1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 707
There is a rubber gasket that goes behind the inner can with very little rubber exposed to the plastic lens. Not yery effective. One of mine gets water behind it crud builds up on the back of the lens.
__________________
WBCCI 24291
New England Unit
Metropolitan NY Unit
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:23 AM   #6
Retired Moderator
 
john hd's Avatar
 
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 4,644
Images: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegreen
There is a rubber gasket that goes behind the inner can with very little rubber exposed to the plastic lens. Not yery effective. One of mine gets water behind it crud builds up on the back of the lens.
yes that is why i asked what type they were. mine are the same way from the factory.

i think they are basicly gasketless to allow condensation to escape.

i remove mine yearly and soak in the sink with dawn dishwashing soap to clean them up.

it is amazing how much crud gets in there.

john
__________________
you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master
 
peegreen's Avatar
 
1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 707
I do the same. I replaced mine because the red lense appeared to darken with age. I put some aluminum foil behind the bulb to add reflectivity(?). While traveling at night this past weekend, the tailights appeared very bright and looked good. I'm in no hurry to make modifications to LED's.
__________________
WBCCI 24291
New England Unit
Metropolitan NY Unit
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
davidz71's Avatar
 
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 3,150
Images: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by john hd
yes that is why i asked what type they were. mine are the same way from the factory.

i think they are basicly gasketless to allow condensation to escape.

i remove mine yearly and soak in the sink with dawn dishwashing soap to clean them up.

it is amazing how much crud gets in there.

john
I lost this thread somehow but this weekend I will replace the 2 worst looking offenders, the one with broken corner and the dullest one of the bunch after cleaning. I also picked up one tip in the last year about putting a small o ring on the screw holding the lens in. While you would have to replace them from time to time, the idea that they are snugged up and there is some give might prevent another one from cracking.

balgrn, Vintage Trailer Supply was exactly where I bought the lens. I didn't even think about asking if gaskets came with them.
__________________

__________________
Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Late '80s Airstream Aluminum Fifth-wheel acwdgw Integrity 5th Wheel (all Years) 17 01-09-2004 11:20 PM
Exhaust ALANSD Airstream Motorhome Forums 44 11-30-2003 10:23 AM
Stupid Human Tricks airstreamcaravel General Repair Forum 12 11-20-2002 03:08 PM
1980's Airstreams davidz71 Our Community 19 11-06-2002 12:17 PM
Source for window gasket jaiman Windows & Screens 2 09-07-2002 10:16 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.