Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1987 32' Excella
1990 29' Land Yacht
Vintage Kin Owner
Americus , Alsrural Bristol Tn.
'77 is no tail or clearance lights

New 2 me 77 IS No tail or clearance lights ? Brakes,Stop & turn OK. Power at end of cord to trailer. Fused @ distribution center ? If fuse is good what next ?? When plugged to truck , no fuses in truck blown. May put 12V to a tail lamp socket and start from the back end and work forward. Hopefully just a fuse in the box as indicated in the service manual. Any info please post it. Many Thanx,
Jim & Mitzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
The plug on the trailer may not be wired correctly to match your TV. You can use a battery charger to test each of the pins in the plug to make sure what is what. Connect the black lead of the charger to a clean spot on the frame, then use the red lead to check each pin on the plug. The older model trailers were not wired to match today's TV's.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I started with a 7-way tester.

I used the tester to confirm my tow vehicle plug was all good.

When the tow vehicle tested okay, I removed it from the process. I approached the challenge by dividing the elements into three zones . . . tow vehicle, cord, and trailer. I used a small 12 volt battery charger, a 12 volt jumper light, a small multi-meter, and the 7-way tester. I used the tester to confirm the trailer plug was wired correctly, and to confirm the cord was wired correctly.

I removed all bulbs in the rear lights and replaced them all after cleaning and polishing the sockets with a Dremel and cleaning and reattaching all the grounds. I replaced all the running and clearance lights with new LED lights, on new gaskets on new grounds.

I installed a new fuse panel with all new fuses. I rewired a new breakaway switch while I had all the wiring exposed. I soldered all the ground wires together with my map gas torch and established a new ground attachment point on the trailer frame. When I tested the system with the tow vehicle after testing it with the battery charger and the 7-way tester, everything worked.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
At some point in the 70s, Airstream put fuses in the running/turn/stop circuits. My 70 and 73 models don't have fuses, the 77 did (I removed them). Look there first, if you have them.

These Airstream fuses are redundant. Your tow vehicle has them. My 2008 GMC has two sets of fuses, one for the truck lights and the others for the trailer connector.

Zep
Old 12-03-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
I had the se issue on my 82. After rewiring the umbilical and tracing wites, bulbs etc, the fuse box was all that was left. What i found is debris from the po had found its way down into the fuse box and causing issues with that particular circuit.
Long story short....get a voltmeter and check the continuity of the wire on either side of the fuse box. That will help to isolate the problem. If you are not getting voltage across, that fuse box is a relatively easy fix.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote