Old 06-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #1

1973 27' Overlander
farmville , North Carolina
'73 Overlander - tail lights

Hello Everyone,

I am having trouble finding replacement tail light and backup light assemblies for a 73 Overlander. Is there a replacement part or do you have to modify the bezel?
I've tried automotive stores (Auto Zone), local RV dealerships, and even a farm implement supply store, but no luck.

Also, if you happen to know where I can get camlocks for the baggage compartments that would be great, too.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
We used to have a '72. Those inserts do rust and corrode over time. I'd try to determine the least you actually need to replace. The entire assembly would likely be difficult to find and the one you find might not be in better shape than yours! The buckets that hold the light sockets can usually be replaced. I know there are threads about that on here if you search. Good luck!

WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have a 1973 airstream also and I took out my airstream lights and lens and put peterson lights in. It was easy. It took me the time to take out the old and a few minutes to put in the new. I bought my lights at Northern Tool for under six dollars each. I also replaced all my running lights with peterson lights.

The only thing with the brake and a tail lights is their is a rim on the casing you have to sand down a bit for them to fit in the hole. No big deal. I wired them stuck them in and used Vulcum around them. They look and work great.

I will post a picture of the back of my trailer with the new petersons installed. The bright lights you see were created by my flash on my camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sept12.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	82586   Click image for larger version

Name:	plumbing.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	82587  

Old 06-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
I went the LED route. More work, but they are sealed units and should last as long as I'm alive.
Attached Images

Old 06-19-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD
Think about posting a picture or two showing the condition of your lights. It might help formulate some ideas for an easy fix. Aerowood's approach to it was an awesome fix, but he also has his interior shell completely removed which makes it a cleaner/easier chore to remove the bezel assembly. Mine were salvageable in terms of not removing the cans, but just replacing the corroded bulb holders by wiring in a new pigtail. Sorry don't have pics of that--it preceeded digital photography for me!
WBCCI/VAC #8481
AIR #9
W9CDC
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote