Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Hendersonville , Tennessee
'72 trailer 7 pin vs '99 truck 7 pin wiring?

From reading I understand the 7 pin connector on my '72 Argosy 22' may be an older standard configuration than the 7 pin on my '99 Chev Silverado with factory tow package.
My confusion is that everything seems to work except the electric brakes. All the running lights and the turn signals are fine. However the brake controller tells me there is no trailer connection. As the other lights work, the ground is good.
The truck has a blue wire for the electric brakes, the trailer may have a yellow wire for the brakes from what little I've been able to determing. The pins for these wires don't match up when plugging the trailer male into the truck female connection. As the trailer has the original pigtail I'm considering replacement, or rewiring the current trailer 7 pin.
I'm under the impression that these difficulties are not uncommon, but I'm a new owner and as a result I could use some more informed and experienced opinion regarding a solution.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:37 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
This is what your trailer should look like. http://www.airstream.com/docs/7wayplug1966-81.pdf
Yellow would be the correct color wire. The other wire from the magnets needs to be grounded for them to work also.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have a 73 airstream and had the same problem. I took mine to a Trailer place and they reconfigured the wires in the trailer and everything worked fine.

SIU Bound

Brian
Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Hendersonville , Tennessee
Thanks Richard. I had attempted to open that pdf in the Airstream FAQ but received a "can't find URL" message.
Brian, I'm hoping to not spend the $ and do this myself. On the other hand, how much more will they charge to fix my mistakes!!
Old 08-02-2008, 02:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I wish I could help you but I am not good at working with wiring. I took mine to a trailer place because I did not know were to begin. It took them a matter of 20 minutes to fix it. When I tried to fix it I ended up frying my converter. I now have to buy a new converter and I am going to let the experts wire it. I did change out all my running lights with peterson lights. I could handle that much.

Brian