Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #1

1972 23' Safari
Nanaimo , British Columbia
'72 Safari wiring question

I am the proud owner of a 72 safari 23' that I will be restoring while also using.

First on the list brakes and bearings (Check)

Next brake light and turn signals

I have a short in the running light circuit, I have disconnected all the running lights and checked the wires for wear all seems good.

My question is where do all these wires come together so I can isolate which light is the culprit?

1st question of many I am sure.

Thanks

Craig
iscraigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:22 AM   #2

1972 23' Safari
From what I can gather reading other posts the marking lights are all daisy chained down the side of the trailer.

My thought is to drill a 1" hole behind each light and use the old wire to fish a new wire all the way down the side of the trailer. Then use rubber grommets in the holes before putting the lights back on. I don't like the idea of making more holes in the skin but taking off half the interior panels to fix this does not sound like a lot of fun.

Any thoughts or suggestions.

Craig
Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
All the wiring in an Airstream runs along the center of the roof and drops down to each of the side clearance lights and at the back drops down the end cap to the roof top clearance lights and then on to each of the taillights.
You can access the front clearance lights by removing the storage compartment in the front end cap.
The 7 pin harness has an access panel in the interior wall under the front couch. If you remove the cushion and the plywood it sits on you can remove the cover and inspect the harness at that point.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
When you say you have a short. What are the symptoms? Are you blowing fuses? Do the running lights not work? Do any of the lights work?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #5

1972 23' Safari
Sorry for lack of information. I have a short to ground on the parking/running light circuit. I had no running lights then I took out the rear bulb holders and started cutting off corroded running lights. When I got to the second one (curb side front) short disappeared all my rear lights worked a couple of the remaining running lights worked. I hooked it up the next day I once again have no lights and with an ohm meter I am again showing a short to ground. I removed the rest of the lights and the problem is still there. But having said that I realize I have not had a look at the rear upper running lights, I will do that before I go to crazy. Trailer is in getting brakes and bearings done so it will be a few days, will keep you posted.

Craig
Old 03-14-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
If you still have bulbs in any of the running lights and/or tail lights the ohm meter will give you the impression there is a short. When the filament in the bulbs is cold there is very little resistance.
Before you tear the skin off of the inside make sure you don't have any problems with fixtures, tail and clearance lights. Even with the bulbs out you may have a shorted socket.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Check the wiring!

Just after Christmas we faced the same problem with our '66 Safari. The running lights themselves and the wire that was visible when they were removed from the shell of the trailer looked OK. Inside, the wires running from one light to the next and down to the access plate in the belly pan where they connect to the umbilical were fried beyond belief. Absolute miracle something didn't catch fire.

Working within the footprint of the running light, enlarge the hole in the shell enough to pull the wires through to check.

Pictures and more discussion on my thread in the electrical forums back in Dec/Jan time frame.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #8

1981 28' Airstream 280
Austin , Texas
74' Argosy MH- 1 headlight malfunctioning

One of the headlights does not have 12volts. What do I do?
VMan is offline   Reply With Quote