Old 01-14-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Asheville , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to shupack
'71 Silver Streak taillight LED conversion.

This was easier than I thought it would be:

Taillight LED conversion - Album on Imgur

Cleaned, painted and converted:

Lit up!!

as original

The pigtails I found, $3.50 each

first idea

final, filed a small notch in the reflector and pushed in the original bulb bracket in, to hold the LED.

For the brake, I found a 2" round 3 LED side-marker light that fit well, but it's not 2 wire (brake and tail-light) so I need to find another one.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Good job! What is the cost of the upgrade? Did you put new lenses on the unit? What color is the turn signal lens? Finally, where did you find the parts.

Looks a lot cheaper than replacing the original incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs at $12 to $15 a pop.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:48 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
Good job! What is the cost of the upgrade? Did you put new lenses on the unit? What color is the turn signal lens? Finally, where did you find the parts.

Looks a lot cheaper than replacing the original incandescent bulbs with LED bulbs at $12 to $15 a pop.
thanks!

The turn signal was initially red (2 red, 1 amber each side) but the amber was hooked into the reverse lights... which is what got me started down this path, not sure what the PO was doing with that...

I found the clear lenses in a drawer, cleaned them all up and put the amber/clear/red lenses in. With the modern wiring of stop/turn on one lead, and tail-lights on another, I couldn't figure out how to get the turn-signal to be on the amber lense without the stop-light being amber, so I changed it to 2 red/1clear on each side. 1 red is tail-light, always on. 1 red is stop/turn and clear is reverse.

Got them at a local truck/trailer place, like Tractor Supply but smaller and with knowledgeable staff.

$3.50 each x6 = $21 for the conversion. The guy at the shop showed me another LED unit, same lense shape but a small box in the pigtail and 3 wires, setup to be a stop/tail marker light/3rd brake light, so I installed that in the top red-lense so all 4 red will be on as running lights, then SUPER bright for brake/turn on the top red lense. The dual brightness were $6 each (If I remember right, have to find the receipt, picked up some other things at the same time). Bringing the project to $26, and I can use the singles on the marker lights. If I don't like it, I'll go back to single in the stop/turn lense and put the doubles in my upper clearance lights for a 3rd brake light/high turn signal.

Maybe I'll remove the 5-to-4 converter in the tow vehicle that feeds the 7pin connector (makes the 3 wires for left,right, & stop into two, stop/turn left, stop/turn right, plus running lights and ground. I suppose I could remove the reverse line to run left/right/stop to the trailer.

I'm re-wiring my brake controller in my tow-vehicle, and replacing all the marker lights, so I'll get more photos soon.

Hope that all makes sense, feel like I'm rambling.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:23 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
My 71 has as original red turn signal and brake. tailight. The back up light originally on mine is clear.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:29 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calgary , Alberta
Looks great. I was just thinking about my 73 and what I want to do to it.
Some of your pics didn't come through. Do you know why?
Does the Trailer supply place you got them sell online?
Or do you have a make for the LED's?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks DaK
Old 01-23-2016, 04:13 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
My 71 has as original red turn signal and brake. tailight. The back up light originally on mine is clear.
That's how I have it now, red stop/turn on top, clear backup, red tail/running light.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKs View Post
Looks great. I was just thinking about my 73 and what I want to do to it.
Some of your pics didn't come through. Do you know why?
Does the Trailer supply place you got them sell online?
Or do you have a make for the LED's?
Sorry for all the questions.
Thanks DaK
ask away!! I like to share/teach.

All the images came through on my end, (but then I posted them) click on the IMGUR link at the top, may come up that way, or I can email them to you.

I'll look at the LED's for a manufacturer name later in the week, need to get more for the clearance lights, did one test-fit and they work perfectly, plus new lenses/housings from the same place (regular bulb, converted to LED), VERY close to the original in look and size.

Jim Campen Trailer Sales, Inc.

But their online store is TERRIBLE.... Just tried to find the LED's and clearance lights, no joy... but they're on the rack.

These are similar, and cheaper:

12x Amber Red Round Bullet CLEARANCE Side Marker Truck Trailer Mini LED Lights | eBay