Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #1
pickpick

1966 28' Ambassador
Jonesboro , Arkansas
7 way wiring on '66 ambassador?

I went to wire a 7 way plug on my trailer today and was surprised to find the colors used in the cable. A black, blue, orange, pink, green, and two whites. Anyone else seen these colors used? Thanks for any help.
lizpickering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Older trailers were built before the current standard of unbilical cord wiring, and pretty much anything goes. Do a search of the forums for umbilical cord wiring and you'll find all sorts of usefull info for your wiring issue.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
pickpick

1966 28' Ambassador
Jonesboro , Arkansas
I did a couple searches using 7 way plug but not umbilical cord. I'll give it a shot, thanks.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
7 way wiring on 66 ambassador?

Greetings lizpickering!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizpickering View Post
I went to wire a 7 way plug on my trailer today and was surprised to find the colors used in the cable. A black, blue, orange, pink, green, and two whites. Anyone else seen these colors used? Thanks for any help.
As has been mentioned by others, your '66 coach will have non-standard wiring colors, and the Bargman connector may be wired in a pattern different from what is the industry standard today. I have attached pdf files with the pattern that Airstream used in 1964 through 1965 as well as the pattern utilized between 1966 and 1980. I am attaching both as 1966 was a transition year and some of the earlier coaches may have been wired to the earlier standard.

Should you find that the wiring colors on your coach do not match those in these diagrams, you will likely find that a previous owner installed a new umbilical cord of his/her own design. You might find through inspection that you need access to the terminals for the coach's running lights . . . this access is likely through a rectangular or square opening in the curbside front corner of the bellypan . . . an access panel is usually screwed to the bellypan to weatherproof this opening. I am not certain whether it was still being done in 1966, but all of the wires in my junction box were red . . . and the number of knots in the wire indicated its function . . . but it is really easier to use a 12-volt source to identify the function of the wires and match that function to the correct position on the Bargman connector.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 7wayplug1966-81.pdf (9.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: pdf 7wayplug1964-65.pdf (28.3 KB, 55 views)
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
pickpick

1966 28' Ambassador
Jonesboro , Arkansas
Thanks Overlander64. I'll dig a little deeper tomorrow.