Old 06-04-2006, 09:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1971 25' Tradewind
Boulder , CO
Send a message via Yahoo to JoshuaTonbo
7 pin plug question

Ok, I need a little help here. I hope I am not about to ask a stupid question...but here it goes...

I just had a 7 pin installed on my tow vehicle (upgrade from a 4 pin). None of my light on my 1971 Tradwind.

While trying to trace the problem I noticed that on the vehicle side there are only 5 wires entering the 7 pin connector...On the Airstream side, there are 7 wires leaving the 7 pin connector.

I am I wrong in thinking there should be 7 wires on both sides?

Thank you for you help

Joshua Persky
JoshuaTonbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:13 PM   #2
Site Team
, Minnesota
It is possible that the installer on the tow vehicle end did not hook up the auxilary/back-up light circuit and the battery charger charger line.

Those would be the center of the 7-way, and a large black wire.

Here's a link:

It's also possible he hooked up the battery charge line, but didn't give you a brake line.

markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
Also, the modern day 7 flat type terminals on you TV will not electrically match the 7 round pins on your vintage. You will need to rewire the TV end of the umbilical.
WBCCI 24291
New England Unit
Metropolitan NY Unit
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:33 AM   #4
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin

did you get a brake controller installed when the rewire job was done?

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 07:57 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
Quick question: Did this trailer ever light up for you? Based upon experience and the advice of a helpful forum member to myself, I suggest you open up the plug on your trailer side and make sure that all of the wires are connected to the terminals like they are supposed to.

Also, get a volt meter and make sure you're getting voltage out of your tow vehicle. There may be a relay or fuse that your vehicle has to have added that is not there yet.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
7 pin plug question

Greetings Joshua!

My suspicion is that your coach may be wired to something other than today's industry standard which may account for the lack of functionality of at least some of your lights. Airstream utilized their own wiring process for the Bargman connector on the coach that can be found in the link below:

The industry standard to which most shops use to wire the Bargman connector today can be found in the link below:

If the shop that performed the work on your tow vehicle followed the practices that most in my area do when wiring a tow vehicle for a customer, the installation only inclueds six wires on the tow vehicle side as they don't wire the backup light circuit unless specifically asked to do so by the customer. My Airstream dealer wired the backup light circuit without prompting when setting up my '75 Cadillac and '99 Suburban for towing duty, but the independent shop that set up my '95 Chevrolet Z71 didn't connect the backup light circuit and wouldn't have provided the charge circuit if I hadn't specifically asked for the service (there was also an up-charge over their posted price list for adding the charge circuit to the basic 7-pin installation).

Also, if the coach is new to you or has been sitting for a prolonged period of time, you may want to disassemble the coach's Bargman connector for cleaning of the contacts. Even with just a few months of winter storage, both Bargman connectors (tow vehicle and coach) needed to be cleaned when I took my Minuet out of storage three days ago.

Good luck in finding the gremlin(s) causing the electrical issues with your tow vehicle/coach.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 08:56 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member
1975 27' Overlander
fort wayne , Indiana
7 pin wiring

all great advice. i just went thru this. my 95 chevy p'u was set up w/ a 7pin and have used for years w/ my car trailor w/ no problem. when i hooked up to my newly acquired tt all sorts of weird things happened.

long story short i had to hook up the charge line and marker lite line in 7pin, reconfigure the umbilcal cord between tv and tt attach wires that were disconnected in fuse box under hood of tv spreead the connector blades w/ control screwdriver to connect better and a few other things.

you basically need to go thru the whole "system" to make sure it is properly wired and functioning. what surprised me was the fact that my car hauler worked fine w/ electric brakes and lites and the tt was not fine. luckily w/ a newer tv all the wires were there. it took a while to figure out. wired it up like it should have been (tv) and redid tt side and the umbilical cord and no problems. if you have someone do it, definetly be very specific on what you want as mentioned above. i.e. all seven wires to new standard.

crowbar68 is offline   Reply With Quote