Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2006, 05:02 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Collettsville , North Carolina
7-Pin connector problem

I am trying to hook up my tow lights on my 1979 argosy to my 2000 Ford F150 with the 7-pin connector. I have looked at the diagrams and nothing matches. I don’t know if the problem is with my truck, the argosy the connectors or what. At first I thought everything worked except the left turn signal, which would flash both right and left lights. After looking further it appears that some lights are brighter than others indicating that some were brake lights while the other side was running lights or taillights.

I checked my truck to see what was going on at that connector and discovered it was a Hoppy 7-pin connector with a 4 pin flat connector built onto the left side all made together. This Hoppy connector is plugged into what I suppose is Ford factory wiring. I checked the 7 pins coming out of the Hoppy and found 12 volt working well but did discover that when I turned on my left turn signal that 2 of the 7 pins would flash indicating that this may be my problem? ( I suppose one of these may have been for the 4 pin side connector?)

Here are my questions?
Has anyone else checked a 7-pin connector and got 2 poles sending out the same signal at the same time?
I think 2 pins giving out voltage at the same time is a bad thing, what you think?
Should I go get another 7-pin connector and put it on my truck and try it?
It there another way to do this wiring, like hook up one wire at a time starting with a turn signal and then the other signal and then tail lights etc?
Thanks,
mtnman
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:12 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
I can't answer your question... but have you looked at the pin diagram for this vintage on the AS site?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks Janet, yes I have seen that diagram but it dont help.
mtnman
Old 01-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Take a look at this page for the seven pin connector. http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm
Don't look at the four pin connector next to it on your truck, you will not be useing that one. I would check each pin at the connector as you turn on the lights, signals etc.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:05 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Harness adapter?

If your Ford has turn signals that are seperate from your brake lights, you have a harness adapter, to change the seperate brake and turn signals into a common wire for use with a trailer. This is usually mounted between two connectors at the rear of the truck, and the wires for the 7 pin connector come out of it, and go to the connector. If you have one, and it is bad, you will get this kind of behavior. I had an adapter on a Ranger that did some really goofy things to the trailer (and truck) lights. If in doubt, change it out. It is not that expensive, and it is available from most auto parts stores.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
The F150 has the factory tow package which I assume means it came from the factory with this connector on it, other than the Hoppy connector which I know is after market.
mtnman
Old 01-04-2006, 06:24 PM   #7
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Slow and easy

MtnMan, I just went thru this with my 1998 F150 and 1973 Overlander. Here's the way I went about it.

1--I printed out the 7-Pin diagram that Janet refered to from the Airstram website.

2--Look INSIDE the trailer (probably under the couch) for the wires. The COLORS should match the diagram, but they may be upside down from the drawing.

3--Next I went outside the trailer and matched the 7 pin connector on the front of trailer to the correct COLOR from the inside (does that make sense?). I had to make a drawing of each step to keep it all straight.

4--Then I went to the connector on the truck. The cover on the truck connector tells me where each light is wired (not by color, but by function: Left turn, right turn and so on).

5--Off to NAPA to buy an umbilical chord that has one end that can be wired in any order. The other end matched the COLOR of the wires on the front of the trialer.

6--I simply (yeah, right!) wired the truck end of the cable to match the function of the trailer end.

I have this drawn out on paper, but my scanner is busted right now. It's usually easier for me see to see it on paper. Hope this helps. Once you get a few of the lights to work, then you may have to trouble shoot why some lights aren't working. A multi-meter is really helpful here. But that's a whole 'nuther story. Many times that is a ground issue, sometimes bad bulbs, sometimes bad sockets or wires. If you really think the connector is bad, try a junk yard for an OEM.

Good luck. Ask more questions if you get stuck somewhere.

Jim

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 06:37 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jim,
I think I understand, I beleive you are saying you used an adapter between your truck and the camper like a pig tail? I can do that, I have had the 7-pin camper plug apart but, I still question having 2 pins on my truck 7-pin connector showing 12 volt ticks when the left turn signal is on? I just dont think thats right? (I thought the trailer plug would be an easy thing, boy was I wrong!?!)
mtnman
Old 01-04-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Lightbulb

You need to insure that the truck connection is correct first. Then worry about the trailer.

If you’re living in Collettsville, why don’t you call a U-Haul, or a trailer hitch install store in Lenoir or Hickory and use their plug in tester. (maybe a parts house closer has one to sell – borrow) Insure that your 7 way on the truck is correct, then match up the wires to the trailer.

You have the diagrams and color codes now. All you need is the patience.

The others are sooooo right about the improper ground. It will throw you every time!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 07:09 PM   #10
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman
Jim,
I think I understand, I beleive you are saying you used an adapter between your truck and the camper like a pig tail? I can do that, I have had the 7-pin camper plug apart but, I still question having 2 pins on my truck 7-pin connector showing 12 volt ticks when the left turn signal is on? I just dont think thats right? (I thought the trailer plug would be an easy thing, boy was I wrong!?!)
mtnman
Yea, I guess I kinda missed part of your question, sorry. Norm and Terry are correct, make sure the truck is working properly first, then move back to the trailer.

The cable that I bought at NAPA has a "fixed" end that is prewired. That end has the same type fitting that is on the front of the trailer. The other end is indeed a "pigtail" that came with a couple of different sized fittings. This is the truck end. You choose the fitting that fits your truck and wire the 7 wires to match the Hoppy (or OEM plug, etc.)

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 01-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Agreed.

Check that the truck is working properly on all positions. Do you have separate brake and turn functions on the Ford's taillights? If you have a separate bulb for each of these functions then you need a tail light converter module installed just upstream of your Hoppy. This will convert the 3-way tail light functions on the Ford to the 2-way operation of the AS. If Ford includes one with the tow package then you it might not be working properly and may need to be replaced.

I recently spent 2 hours diagnosing a similar problem on a 2006 Dodge Ram and it finally turned out to be a bad converter.

Hope this helps.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 09:03 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Do you have separate brake and turn functions on the Ford's taillights? If you have a separate bulb for each of these functions then you need a tail light converter module installed just upstream of your Hoppy. This will convert the 3-way tail light functions on the Ford to the 2-way operation of the AS.

I will check this tomorrow and see. Can I check them without taking off the lens, anyone know?

Thanks,
mtnman
Old 01-05-2006, 07:04 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Funky Umbilical

Some possibilities of the root of your problems...

I had some trailer light "issues" when I picked up the '78 Sovereign in Ohio. The PO had "redone" the umbilical line - in so doing he over-tightened the wire hold down assembly on the trailer end (at a point where there was no outer insulation) and subsequently shorted out at least three of the 7 wires - I spent the better part of the morning sitting outside in the rain and the mist and the fog while parked at a Wal-Mart store attempting to figure THAT one out.

I didn't really know what was going on until I disassembled the plug at the trailer end of the umbilical and saw the exposed wiring.

You might try doing a pin to pin continuity check on the umbilical with the line disconnected from both the trailer and the TV. There should be an infinite resistance on any of the pin to pin contacts (on one end, of course)...this would also be a good time to check for a "0" resistance reading from matched pin to matched pin on the trailer plug to TV plug. Pull back the coverings on the plugs and check for corrosion.

Good luck - please post how you finally solve your gremlin -

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 05:40 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
7-Pin connector problem

Greetings mtnman!

Quote:
I am trying to hook up my tow lights on my 1979 argosy to my 2000 Ford F150 with the 7-pin connector. I have looked at the diagrams and nothing matches. I don’t know if the problem is with my truck, the argosy the connectors or what. At first I thought everything worked except the left turn signal, which would flash both right and left lights. After looking further it appears that some lights are brighter than others indicating that some were brake lights while the other side was running lights or taillights.

I checked my truck to see what was going on at that connector and discovered it was a Hoppy 7-pin connector with a 4 pin flat connector built onto the left side all made together. This Hoppy connector is plugged into what I suppose is Ford factory wiring. I checked the 7 pins coming out of the Hoppy and found 12 volt working well but did discover that when I turned on my left turn signal that 2 of the 7 pins would flash indicating that this may be my problem? ( I suppose one of these may have been for the 4 pin side connector?)

Here are my questions?
Has anyone else checked a 7-pin connector and got 2 poles sending out the same signal at the same time?
I think 2 pins giving out voltage at the same time is a bad thing, what you think?
Should I go get another 7-pin connector and put it on my truck and try it?
It there another way to do this wiring, like hook up one wire at a time starting with a turn signal and then the other signal and then tail lights etc?
Thanks,
mtnman
I strongly suspect that the problem may be with the trailer end of the connector as in all probability your late model truck has the current industry standard wiring schematic for its 7-pin connector. Your Argosy Minuet likely has the same non-standard wiring schematic that my '78 Minuet had when I first purchased it (had to wire up a new trailer connector before I could tow it home). The schematic that Argosy utilized on the Minuets can be found in the link below:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...lug1966-81.pdf

Good luck in finding the solution to your electric gremlin!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Do you have separate brake and turn functions on the Ford's taillights? If you have a separate bulb for each of these functions then you need a tail light converter module installed just upstream of your Hoppy. This will convert the 3-way tail light functions on the Ford to the 2-way operation of the AS. If Ford includes one with the tow package then you it might not be working properly and may need to be replaced.

Ok, I checked the lights and I do not have seperate light functions. I unpluged the hoppy 7 pin from the truck wires and I do have 2 hot pins when I hit the brake lights. Is one of these for the electric brakes, which one? I do not have a charging wire either that I can find? Every thing else looks normal but I will still have 2 poles flashing when I plug the Hoppy back in? I suppose I could cut the Hoppy wires and plce them to work what I want.
mtnman
Old 01-06-2006, 06:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Mtnman,

Here is the color code for a 7-way plug:

Yellow: center for aux. (center)
White: ground (bottom left)
Blue: electric brakes (bottom right)
Red: left turn/stop (center left)
Brown: right turn/stop (center right)
Green: tail/running lights (top left)
Black: hot from TV battery (top right)

Note that these locations are looking INTO the plug from the rear of the TV.
The black should always be hot and the blue should only be on when you depress the brake pedal and your brake controller senses the decelleration.

Hope this helps!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #17
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Lew,this is the wire breakout for the truck, right?

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 01-06-2006, 06:55 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I called the auto parts place today. The fellow I talk with said they didnt have a tester but said the tester just confirmed each pin with a light, same thing I can do with my test light. He did say if I would bring in the Hoppy 7-pin connector that he would compare it to a new one and if the one I have is bad or different than what the new one was he would switch it with me at no charge.
mtnman
Old 01-07-2006, 04:26 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OK, I think the truck is all right. Now it’s back to the coach. I pull my tractor up to the trailer and grounded it good with jumper cables. Then I checked each wire one at a time with the tractor battery. The pigtail from the outside to the inside is fine. I learn that from disconnecting all the top wires inside and checking them. I still have a short or something wrong somewhere on the inside. I still have both rear lights on at the same time when only 1 side should be on. I Have 3 wires that all have continuity from the bottom terminal. Counting from left to right, number 3, 4 and 5 all have continuity even when disconnected from this terminal? That would be the Brown, Green and Blue wires. What do you think is wrong? Any suggestions?
mtnman
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2006, 05:54 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
7-Pin connector problem

Greetings mtnman!

Quote:
OK, I think the truck is all right. Now it’s back to the coach. I pull my tractor up to the trailer and grounded it good with jumper cables. Then I checked each wire one at a time with the tractor battery. The pigtail from the outside to the inside is fine. I learn that from disconnecting all the top wires inside and checking them. I still have a short or something wrong somewhere on the inside. I still have both rear lights on at the same time when only 1 side should be on. I Have 3 wires that all have continuity from the bottom terminal. Counting from left to right, number 3, 4 and 5 all have continuity even when disconnected from this terminal? That would be the Brown, Green and Blue wires. What do you think is wrong? Any suggestions?
mtnman
Based on the schematics that I have, the wires you have listed would be:

Blue -- Main Charge Line
Brown -- Stop and Right Turn
Green -- Tail Lights and Clearance Lights

In addition, the following is listed in the schematic pertaining to the 12-volt Exterior Lights:

Red -- Stop and Right Turn
Black -- Backup Lights
Yellow -- Brakes
White -- Ground

Electrical problems are far from my specialty, but it occurred to me that there might be a problem with the breakaway switch -- I have had problems with the break away switches on both of my coaches where both had shorts in them when I purchased the coaches.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote