Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
67' Caravel top clearance lights (don't work)

I have a 67' Caravel 17 ft. trailer. The existing tail light wiring harness has long been removed many moons ago from previous owners I'm sure for whatever stupid reason and replaced with a newer 4 pin wiring system to the back tail lights. I have rewired everything to the back tail lights and have everything working now from previous owners rats nest of wires. What I would like to know is where did the existing wiring for the lights come out of the trailer? I would like to see if I can find the existing wiring and see if the wires are still there. I would really like to get my upper clearance lights working and was wondering whats the easiest and simplest way to do this.

thx, Steven
Old 01-29-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
On my 66 Caravel there is an access panel up front on the belly pan. Inside there is where the umbilical from the 7-pin cable is pulled through the front A-frame channel. The rest of the wire harness for the trailer comes there and all the connections are made using wire nuts. The GREEN wire on mine is the running lights - that wire goes up inside the body and makes all the connections from the inside - I believe the first light it goes to is the door side (curb side) amber then street side amber the back to the rear two red lights.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:34 PM   #3
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Clancy-

I believe that in 1966 they didn't have the electric ones.

I these do come with amber and reds lenses also!
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:40 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
I see a small panel right behind the A frame but it is riveted closed and looks original and I don't see any wires or holes coming out of the belly pan. How do the wires actually come out of the body
Old 01-30-2007, 10:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
The wires don't come out of the belly pan - on the body, they come out directly behind each light. There is a lttle extra length of wire at each light so you can remove them and test the wire for connection. I guess my Caravel had the rivets drilled out and replaced with screws but I know that is where the electrical connections are made - in the front of the belly skin in between the A frame - there is a small square about 8"X8". The wires go up between the inner and outer skins to the lights.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967-Caravel
I see a small panel right behind the A frame but it is riveted closed and looks original and I don't see any wires or holes coming out of the belly pan. How do the wires actually come out of the body
Thats the one. Drill out the rivets and take a look in there. On my 65 Caravel the 5 amber clearance lights are wired from there. There should be a single green wire going up towards the top from there. The top 5 red clearance lights are wired from the left rear tailight on my trailer.

When you put the panel back on use SS screws to fasten it. You might have to take it off again later. Mine also had a circuit breaker in there for the charge line to the coach battery.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
so where do the wires come out of the front of the trailer to hook to your light connector to your car or truck
Old 01-30-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
On my Ohio-built Airstream, the wires travel through the curb side of the A-frame's constructed box beam and exit before the ball coupling. From there, the wires are supposed to go through a rubber-grommeted hole in the coupler, and then connect to the tow vehicle.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
does 1 wire work all 4 clearance lights?
Old 01-30-2007, 06:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Kiln , Mississippi
Yes - one wire works all the lights - it sorta snakes its way up to the curb side front amber then over to the street side amber - I believe the wire goes to the rear via the underbelly then up to the red lights in the rear.

I replaced my harness from the access panel to the 7 prong plug - took about an hour. Use the old wire to pull the new wire bundle through the frame and into the underbelly. A NEW pigtail will run about $25 and the color coded wires will NOT match up to your existing colors so you will need a wire diagram and know your vehicle pin out. Not a major issue - just take your time.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:46 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
East Bernard , Texas
To my amazement I got everything working last night. I tested all the old green cut wires in the rear and ran a dummy hot wire to test all of them and found the one to work the rear red clearance lights. I then removed some homemade 6x6 cutout someone had cut in for a extra 120v wire and got a mirror and started looking around and I saw a green wire under the belly pan about 1 ft. away. I got a coat hanger and fished it out and it had been cut and it luckily was the wire to run the front clearance lights so everything works now. Its definitley nowhere close to original but everything works. Thanks for all the replies guys it definitely helped out.

Steven

Tags
caravel