Old 06-04-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
calitrotter

Currently Looking...
Berkeley , California
63 globe trotter: no 12v inside

hello all,

when i brought "arthur" home, the 12v interior lights worked, well most of them. the ceiling fan and water pump too.
i replaced the 7way plug and wire back to the access panel on the front belly.
my exterior lights had unmarked red wires with 0, 1, 2 or 3 knots tied in them. i applied 12 volts to each red wire via an external power source which was grounded to the trailer. i idenitfied the running, marker, turn and brake lights. the trailer battery was connected. i may have heard a sound like a breaker or something blowing at some point, but it was very faint, with no odors.. but now i have no interior 12 volt.
i replaced the 25 amp circuit breaker at the battery to no avail.
i can not find any other service points for the 12 v system. i have not removed the belly panels under the bathtub or toilet. perhaps there is something there. i wonder how to find the other end of the wires going through the grommet in the picture on the left.
arthur is getting fitted for nex axles at this moment, but when he gets back i'll have to tackle this, and a few other things. lpg is next after the 12v.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battbox.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	38588   Click image for larger version

Name:	new30amp.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	38589  

Old 06-08-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
calitrotter

Currently Looking...
Berkeley , California
Question still can't figure it out

gee, i guess noone has an answer...
i tried to remove the panel over the battery, but i have to go get a right angle drill to get to a rivet inside the box..
also tried to remove the battery box from inside the trailer, but after dissasembling the gaucho to get to the box, and removing the screws, the box was riveted to the bulkhead and i ran out of time for the day.
Also i removed the panel under the bathtub, hoping to find some 12v stuff, but there was none.
If anyone has an idea, i sure would appreciate it, before i pay 100 bucks an hour for someone to fix it for me...

Old 06-08-2007, 10:40 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I would take a test light and start probing the wires, starting at the battery and working your way into the trailer, see when you lose power. That may save you from taking apart an area that isn't the cause of your problem. Good luck with it.
Dave
Old 06-08-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
I had a similar experience with my 63 overlander. I had no 12 v inside, then one day...after I decided to do away with the inside 12 v and use city power only...I hooked up the unbilical and nothing happened. Then I remembered that someone had told me that some of the older utility trailers used the ball and hitch for a ground. I ran a jumper cable from the hitch to the ball reciever and voila all exterior lights worked. I thought, maybe the interior will also work, so I tried it and everything inside worked as well. I am by no means an electrician but this solved my problem and it showed me that the problem was a faulty ground.

My advice should be taken with caution, however, 63overlander is excellent at this sort of stuff and has helped me tremendously. You might check out my thread (Bought it, paid for it, fixin it up) and read some of the replies he gave and it may give you some direction.

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Cleveland , Georgia
Start at about post #28 page 2...bigeasy63, bought it, paid for it, fixin it up

Some days you're the windshield,
Some days you're the bug!

"Life's a garden, dig it" Joe Dirt
bigeasy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Armada , Michigan
I'm not familiar with the 63's and being a GT that's even more different that a Safari, since when they jump from the 3/4 bath to the full there are some big differences. However. Here's what I suggest:

1)Where is your "Fuse panel"? did this coach have one? Should have about 2-4 glass AGM type fuses in it and it distributes power to your interior.
2)Hmm, some investigation has shown me you don't have a converter AKA Univolt as original equipment. This was the closest I could find for an electrical wiring diagram: It's for a 64 Safari, but might just be close. Looks like you need to go hunting for those other fuses.
3)Pull the leads off of the battery and see if applying power from your 12 volt source works to light anything up. If not, then you need to go on a fuse hunting trip inside. Hopefully someone can help you locate them, as they seem to exist, from #2 above.
4)One last thing. You may have pulled the ground loose from the battery when you were poking around in the access panel up under the front. Or broken the ground, or the wire or any number of other things. Try seeing if there is continuity between the ground on the battery terminal (or at least at the cable connection) with the shell or the frame. Try running a jumper from the grounded battery terminal to the shell and see if that makes the lights light up.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
calitrotter

Currently Looking...
Berkeley , California
maybe the ground..

i have not been able to find any wiring diagram for my trailer.
never seen any fuses anywhere.. don't even know where to look now.
i will check for the ground..could be i knocked something loose up front.
i'll check it out and get back to you all.
thanks!
Old 06-08-2007, 06:20 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

I have a 63 GT ( Calif model) also. There's another breaker inside a panel in the belly where the TV wires enter the belly skin. Mine also had a fuse in the top corner of the battery box. I don't think 63's have a fuse panel like the later models, mine doesn't. Also no Univolt. Most receptacles have 12 v and 120v bulbs. You were supposed to charge the battery from the car. I added a Intellepower smart charger. My wiring diagram was pasted on the back wall of the closet.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #9
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
On your 63 you should have 3 wires to the battery, two power and one ground. You will see a 20 amp circuit breaker inside the trailer near the battery box, mounteds on the wall. Make sure you have 12v on both sides of that breaker. You also have a breaker inside the lower accesspanel under the trailer, near where the a frame goes into the belly pan, on the right side. Again, check tto make sure you have power on both sides of the breaker. If you don't see anything else obvious, try running a new ground wire from the negative post of the battery to the frame of the trailer, if everything starts working agin, that is your problem. Basically the same advice I gave Rusty.
Let me know if you are still stuck, I can run through some other things with you, I just don't want to muddy the water with too much info.
Old 06-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #10
calitrotter

Currently Looking...
Berkeley , California
ground battery to frame did not work

i will check for 12v on both sides of both circuit breakers tomorrow
no more time today.
maybe there will never be enough time..(joking)
looking forward to getting it figured out soon.
i will post tomorrow my results.
have great weekend.

mike
Old 06-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
My 63 had a junction connections and a few fuses inside the belly pan on the right side under what looked like a pop riveted square patch. My Overlander was made in Ohio so it may be different than units made in California.
Old 06-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #12
calitrotter

Currently Looking...
Berkeley , California
ok, so i did have 12 on both sides of both circuit breakers, and the green wire is grounded, but i did run another ground to the frame, still nothing.
i did all this in the front belly where the 7 way cable comes in. no fuses there, i felt all around in there. some fuse must have blown, but where is it?
first, internal 12v worked, then it didn't work after i applied external voltage to the external lights. external lights work.
i'm not sure which way to go now...
i will try to examine the front belly compartment more carefully. maybe i am missing something..
i did notice that my tow vehicle black wire is the charging wire, not the blue as indicated in some diagrams.. is the blue and yellow for the brake control?
perhaps if somebody knows which is which that would be great.
i have the marker, turn and brake lights wired correctly. or at least they work at this time.
BTW mine is an ohio trailer living berkeley. previously from virginia, florida and arizona.
serial# 193D195
Old 06-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #13
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The wiring standard has changed since your trailer was built. Blue now is the brake control wire.
Therre is one more breaker on the curb side of your coach, near the door, you can check that one as well, but it doesn't do much for the interior lights.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:11 AM   #14
calitrotter

Currently Looking...
Berkeley , California
herb,
do you have a copy of that wiring diagram?
maybe a close up photograph?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbond
I have a 63 GT ( Calif model) also. There's another breaker inside a panel in the belly where the TV wires enter the belly skin. Mine also had a fuse in the top corner of the battery box. I don't think 63's have a fuse panel like the later models, mine doesn't. Also no Univolt. Most receptacles have 12 v and 120v bulbs. You were supposed to charge the battery from the car. I added a Intellepower smart charger. My wiring diagram was pasted on the back wall of the closet.

Tags
12v