Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
dallas , Texas
3-way light switch

I am replacing the switches in both of the dome lights on my trailer. Can someone please tell me how to wire these things. The PO had removed the switches so none of them work.

There is a black wire only coming in the vent.

A blue wire on the switch
A red wire on the switch

And ONLY black wires on the board

What do i do?
hippygypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 01:17 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
dallas , Texas
Here is a pic from the book in case anyone is looking for help with this problem...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/reoav1wnvs...2013.17.00.jpg
Old 06-15-2014, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I think what you are working with is a 3 position switch, high, low and center off.

Look at the picture above. If you have the fixture it is more than likely still wired correctly on the output side of the switch. Look at the wires coming from th switch and to the bulbs. On wire should only go to the two center bulbs and be the low level. The other should go to the 4 bulbs at the corners of the fixture. If this is the case you need only hook the black wire coming to the fixture, 12 volts and things should work.

If the PO has rewired the fixture so all the lights come on he has done away with the low level option and you will have to rewire the fixture but the diagram is correct and can be your guide.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
dallas , Texas
Yes. I think this is wired wrong because my battery just drained out...so I am going to rewire those and see

Sent from my SM-N900V using Airstream Forums mobile app
Old 06-16-2014, 03:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
If there are only two places to connect wires to the switch itself, I think you have the wrong switch. This is a link to the switch you should have: 3 Way Ceiling Light Switch 510195 [510195] - $26.95 : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

In my 78 Excella it was wired like this:

The black wire coming into the fixture from the trailer is (+), which supplies power for all of the lights. If your light also has a fan, this same wire supplies the power to the fan. This black wire was connected to the black wire on the switch. If your switch's wires are labeled, connect the black to the wire labeled "power".

Each bulb holder is riveted to the fixture, which provides ground (-) for each bulb, so there is no ground wire to connect.

Look at the black wires that come from each bulb. You should see that there are two circuits, one high and one low. On my trailer two bulbs were connected for low light. The second circuit had four bulbs connected together for high light. The switch is made so that when it is in the low position only one wire is energized. When in the high light position, both load wired are energized.

The other two wires leaving the switch might be labeled "load". One wire leaving (the one in the center position between the other two wires) the switch should go to either two or three (low) bulbs. I do not remember which color. The other wire leaving the switch should go to either three or four bulbs (high). If your trailer is wired 3 bulbs on each circuit, the load wire positions does not matter. On my trailer, when the switch rotated from the off position one click, two (low) lights bulbs came on first. One more click rotating and all six bulbs burned. One more click on the switch returned to the off position.

Hope this helps!
Old 06-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
dallas , Texas
That was great. Now I think I blew a fuse or the other switch. Because I get nothing from all 3 lights when I hook them back in.

By nothing I mean they are hooked in as stated by WARM but nothing when I click them on.

Sooooo....about to use all three as target practice.

Is there a fuse. The breakers and I checked the panels.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
dallas , Texas
Purple fuse. Lights back on