Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2017, 10:04 AM   #1

2017 22' Sport
Shavano Park , Texas
2017 Sport 22FB Interior Lighting

Hello Ya'll,
My wife and I just bought a 2017 Sport 22FB. All is great so far, BUT...the interior lighting is awful. Makes it feel like an OR.
Does anyone know if we can replace the lights with a warm/soft white? If so, where can we buy the replacement lights?
Thanks
TinMan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
What is an "OR"...?? LED lighting replacement is available from many sources and in many different wavelengths/temps. I like a warm glow... my camping buddies hated it and prefer a "bright white"... we each bought replacement lamps and installed them into the original fixtures.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #3

2017 22' Sport
Shavano Park , Texas
OR = operating room.

Do you have a store or website where you bought the replacement lamps?
Old 08-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Amazon (dot) com is your friend in this matter. Search for "Airstream LED interior lights"
I have also had great success for many different types of LED lamps to replace incandescent lamps at ledlight (dot) com.... but you must KNOW exactly which type lamp/base/etc you desire... and you must understand that if you order the wrong lamps the return postage will eat up any savings.... however that website saves many dollars over retail outlets.

If you are wanting LEDs that will work with a dimmer... be careful to note the sellers comments on that because SOME leds will dim...and most will not. Also, most are polarity sensitive if you select hard-wired versions instead of socket/base types.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:58 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Bakersfield , California
Check our M4LED.com. They offer LED tube lights and bulb lights in cool, warm and natural. Their prices are very reasonable, and their product (especially their tube lights) are unbeatable. You can see the difference they make if you go to youtube.com and type in RVGeeks.
jmscogginsjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Wayland , Massachusetts
Bed side lamp

I bought the following lamp for the bed side for our 2016 22 Sport from Amazon. It arrived today but seems perfect for the side of the bed. I agree that the OR glare is not very warm and home-like. I hope that this helps.

Ganeed 3W Engery-Efficient Dimmable Table Lamp Reading Light,10 LED Book Light,Flexible Sturdy Gooseneck LED Lamp for Reading,Studying,Working,Bedroom,Office(Silver)
Price: $12.90 & FREE Shipping

[2 Dimming Levels]: Built-in 10 LEDs,simple button control of Low < High Light Modes. Adjust the brightness mode for your usage by pressing the button once.
[USB Powered & Last Light Mode Memory]:Insert the USB Cable to power adapter, computer or other USB devices to power the lamp. Can remember the color temperature(light color) of last time use.
jsfranchek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 12:30 PM   #7
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Problem solved for $8.00. Many others have done this and love the result.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...ts-168004.html
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxite View Post
Amazon (dot) com is your friend in this matter. Search for "Airstream LED interior lights"
I have also had great success for many different types of LED lamps to replace incandescent lamps at ledlight (dot) com.... but you must KNOW exactly which type lamp/base/etc you desire... and you must understand that if you order the wrong lamps the return postage will eat up any savings.... however that website saves many dollars over retail outlets.

If you are wanting LEDs that will work with a dimmer... be careful to note the sellers comments on that because SOME leds will dim...and most will not. Also, most are polarity sensitive if you select hard-wired versions instead of socket/base types.

Good luck. Hope this helps.
Boxite-A little off topic, but I take it you outran the bear? And lived to talk about it? Nice picture for Avatar.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:43 PM   #9

2017 22' Sport
Shavano Park , Texas
I looked all over and can't find any "warm" replacement lights. The 2017 Sport comes with these cheap white plastic dome lights which do not seem to allow bulb replacement only. And all the available dome lights online seem to be "natural bright light".
Which replacement lamps did you (Boxite) buy to get the "warm glow"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3100.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	292310  
Old 08-17-2017, 11:12 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan17 View Post
I looked all over and can't find any "warm" replacement lights. The 2017 Sport comes with these cheap white plastic dome lights which do not seem to allow bulb replacement only. And all the available dome lights online seem to be "natural bright light".
My earlier (2008) Sport used 1142 incandescent lamps with a "socket" so I was able to find replacement "bayonet" types. Your later model will require more research, but I'm certain there are replacements you'll like. (Our friends with a later Bambi actually bought LEDs they found "too warm/orange" and wanted the OR look... I'll ask where they found them and get back to you.)

BTW, have you seen this thread?: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...-168004-2.html

Contrary to what the comments say,...I have found all LEDs are NOT cool to the touch. Some of them get quite hot, so be careful if you use a filter or gel like the thread suggests. Also keep in mind that filters reduce the amount of light which shines thru.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

New York , New York
Quote:
Hello Ya'll,
My wife and I just bought a 2017 Sport 22FB. All is great so far, BUT...the interior lighting is awful. Makes it feel like an OR.
Does anyone know if we can replace the lights with a warm/soft white? If so, where can we buy the replacement lights?
Thanks
Hi TinMan17! Did you ever figure this out? We have a 2017 Sport as well and HATE the lighting. We'd happily try the gels but I haven't seen anyone that has done this with the dome lighting.
righttoroam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:05 PM   #12
The Aluminum Tent 3

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by righttoroam View Post
Hi TinMan17! Did you ever figure this out? We have a 2017 Sport as well and HATE the lighting. We'd happily try the gels but I haven't seen anyone that has done this with the dome lighting.
I used the theater gel in the puck lights of my FC AND in the dome lights over my dinette, galley sink, and in the bathroom even. I removed the cover, cut sheets to fit, then sprayed a bit of spray adhesive on the gel, and pressed it into the covers. Two layers got me the effect that I liked. One roll of gel was enough to do my 23FB.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f447...ts-168004.html
pcskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Denton , North Carolina
warm white

Quote:
Yes there is warm white replacements for this fixture. Search 5630ww9
Everyone who has gotten them was happy to not feel like they were NOT in the OR. :-)

Old 06-12-2018, 08:01 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2018 16' Sport
Park City , Utah
Check out LED4RV.com. Dan hooked me up with warm temp led replacement boards. Replaced all the lamps in my 2018 16 sport (except in the closet and storage space), and it looks much nicer IMO. original led's are at about 6000k, new led's are about 3500k. Fairly easy to do... just have to cut out the old ones, use super tiny wire joiners, crimp tool, and wire stripers, and hook them up to the "house" wires. it's very easy for the DIYSer.

Huge improvement over the stock led. NOTE: I noticed that the manufacture date on the original led's was march 2015, even though my trailer is a 2018. I think that AS purchased a ton of these lamps, and will use them until the stock runs out. Maybe they will offer an option in the future.

Oh, and yes you're right, the originals do remind me of a hospital OR. haha
slackerchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Used similar warm LED4RV plug-in parts on my ‘07. Biggest pain was getting into the fixtures and plugging them in. Slightly warmer than the original halogen bulbs. Like the look...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote