Old 10-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
2015 F150 7 pin connector

The umbilical cord on my 2016 FC just doesn't want to seat solidly in the TV 7 pin socket. Driving home recently, the left turn signal and brake light failed. When I got home and jiggled the umbilical, it started working again. Any thoughts? The truck and trailer are so new I wouldn't think the connections should have gone bad.

From the get go, I have had trouble getting the connection to mate securely.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I guess the first things to check would be dirt either on the trailer or truck side of the plug. Next would be the trailer chord being deformed. I've had this issue on one the had been drug around for a few miles.

Have you tried putting dialectic grease on the prongs? Sometimes if there's corrosion that helps, but it sounds like it's more physical interference.

Good luck!

Old 10-09-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Another thought. Can you try both the truck port with a different trailer or the trailer with a different truck? That might help isolate the issue.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Matt View Post
Another thought. Can you try both the truck port with a different trailer or the trailer with a different truck? That might help isolate the issue.
So I went to Lowes and got male and female connectors and both the truck end and trailer end went together with these easily.

So I smeared dielectric grease on the trailer pins and lo and behold, they inserted easily into the truck and the lights all work.

Thanks for the suggestions. I lose sleep over these things and now I can relax till the next thing goes.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:55 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Great! Glad you figured it out!
Old 10-10-2016, 09:24 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Waxahachie , Texas
Glad you found a fix. I had a 2015 F150 and now have a 2017 F250. There have been multiple threads in the F15o forums about issues with the 7 pin plug. I never had much of an issue except when brand new and the connection showed on the info screen as disconnected. I wiggled it and secured and never had the issue again after towing 25,000 plus miles. Good luck and enjoy your travels.

Chuck
Old 10-11-2016, 02:01 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Sherwood , Oregon
Also, check the trailer plug to see if the prongs are bent out. I lost my trailer brakes because of this and after bending the prongs in with a thin screw driver everything worked. Always use dielectric grease on exposed electrical connectors.
Old 10-11-2016, 04:13 PM   #8
Mel

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
The only problems that I had with the Ford F-150 are;
When taking off for a trip, I always do a light check, then a brake check.
On this trip, everything worked, until........
I turned a first corner, and the brakes didn't work. Checking the pins, all was ok. but.......
Nothing else worked. No lights, no brakes, so.......
Obviously I had lost power somewhere.
Being a relatively new Ford, I didn't know the schematic system, so.......
I drove up to the Ford dealer in Chatham, from Blenheim (about 10 'miles'), very slowly and carefully.
The Service Mgr. heard my story, (obviously we had lost either a power lead, or a ground.). He crawled under the Ford, and found that a ground plug had come adrift from the socket; plugged it in, and we were on our way.
The same trip, (to a KOA in Brighton for an overnighter), the next morning when I tried to move out, the trailer brakes would not unlock.
They would only release, when I pulled the plug to the Ford.
Every time, I plugged the cord in, the brake would go 'on'.
Since there was a Ford dealer in Trenton, I phoned ahead to advise of the problem and went to Trenton.
The Service Mgr. was waiting for me, took the truck in, and thirty minutes later had the brake controller replaced. It was his last one.
He said, that Ford had issued a Service Bulletin, and that' why he had one in stock.
(My dealer in Chatham was unaware of this bulletin.)
Anyway, after an hour and a bit, I hooked up and continued to Brockville for an RVExplorer's Club rally.
Those are the only two problems I have had, so far, with the Ford.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:37 PM   #9
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
F150

Our 2015 Lariat with only around 6500 miles had a faulty trailer brake controller that locked up the brakes on our recent 7 week trip to the Rockies. St. Joseph MO Ford dealer replaced it and also found a pin hole leak in the radiator. That was replaced, too. Given a loaner truck and both issues were resolved in 24 hours.

Only other issue was the "Service Advance Trac system" warning came on a couple of times on the 7000+ mile trip that disabled the cruise control. Turning off the truck and restarting reset things and hope to have the dealer check this out this week.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:06 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
The Plains , Ohio
Oh, man. Scary stories.
Old 10-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
1989 25' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Missouri Valley , Iowa
I had the same problem as Mel and David with the brake control module on my 2015 F150 Lariat. We were on the way home from the Springtime in KY caravan. We were 150 mi from home and with the help of GPS were able to creep home slowly on the back roads instead of I 80. My dealer on Blair, NE got a new module after 3 weeks and all is well now.

Dan
Old 10-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
I have a 2016 F150. I just called my Ford dealer about the Trailer brakes locking up on F150's after reading this thread. They acknowledged the service bulletin, which is not a recall, so he said Ford will only replace if it malfunctions with a code on the computer. He also said the new brake control modules are the same as the ones that they are replacing. They have not been modified. Not very comforting to me, if he is correct. Just wondering for those of you that have had him replaced if what he's telling me is correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 10-12-2016, 10:44 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
1989 25' Excella
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Missouri Valley , Iowa
Hiho, when I went to the dealer and they analyzed my problem, the replacement module was on backorder. When I needed to leave with my AS and the part was still on backorder, I believe they took one out of a 2016 model and plugged it into my '15. As far as if the part was updated / improved - I don't know. I've had no additional problems.

Dan
Old 10-12-2016, 11:40 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Thanks Farmer D. When your trailer brake module failed, did you get a "trailer brake malfunction" or other warning indicator? I wonder if when the brakes are locked up it could burn out the magnets like when the emergency trailer brakes are activated for long periods of time.