Old 04-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
2008 Classic 25Fb Lighting Questions

I just bought a preowned 2008 Classic 25fb and it looks like the brass/reading light over the bed, next to the bedside wardrobe might need to be replaced. Where can I get a replacement part? I think the part is
511802-01 LIGHT, BEDROOM WALL, BRASS/NICKEL

I also notice the dimmer on one of the hanging reading lights over the dinette doesn't work. The light comes on but doesn't dim. Is that the fixture or a bulb issue?

I would like to convert all these Halogen reading lights to LED. What bulb would be used.

The rear dinette 3 arm light looks like its Halogen. I would like to convert those lights to LED. The bulbs don't look like they are screw in.

The main lighting are Thin Lite florescent. I would like to eventually convert them to LED. Can anyone recommend LEDs that replace the florescent tubes.

I'm going to the storage site later today. I'll post some photos of the parts.

Thanks for any help.

Kelvin

Old 04-10-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Kevin,

I might be able to help with part of the info you are requesting.

The company Airstream buys a lot of those fixtures from is called ITC Inc. out of Holland, MI.
Phone number is 616-396-1355
They have a web site with all the light fixtures and clocks etc. that they sell to the Rv industry. They also have a company Ebay site that they sell overstock items at a reduced cost, but come directly from ITC.
With all that said, I needed a bedroom swivel light (complete) for my trailer and found Airstream in JC was a few dollars cheaper. So you might want to check a local dealer.
Just price shop first before ordering if a few $'s make a difference. It just happened that I was traveling thru OH and picked up my light in JC. But I purchased an RV clock on the ebay site for $5.59 and a bracket for it for $2.50. Nobody could touch that price.

As far as this:
"The main lighting are Thin Lite florescent. I would like to eventually convert them to LED. Can anyone recommend LEDs that replace the florescent tubes".

I looked into it and found that LEDs don't do much over the florescent when you compare the cost of the LED replacement to using the florescents. They also don't make sense in electricty savings in that regard either. IMO. The replacements were pretty expensive the last time I checked.
Good luck with the other stuff.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I just bought a preowned 2008 Classic 25fb and it looks like the brass/reading light over the bed, next to the bedside wardrobe might need to be replaced. Where can I get a replacement part? I think the part is
511802-01 LIGHT, BEDROOM WALL, BRASS/NICKEL
Airstream dealer

Quote:
I also notice the dimmer on one of the hanging reading lights over the dinette doesn't work. The light comes on but doesn't dim. Is that the fixture or a bulb issue?
Fixture.

Quote:
I would like to convert all these Halogen reading lights to LED. What bulb would be used.
They are difficult to convert. You may be better off replacing the fixtures if that's what you want.

Quote:
The rear dinette 3 arm light looks like its Halogen. I would like to convert those lights to LED. The bulbs don't look like they are screw in.
They are not halogen, just regular incandescent. They are T5 wedge bulbs that pull straight out. There are LED replacements available if you want them.

Quote:
The main lighting are Thin Lite florescent. I would like to eventually convert them to LED. Can anyone recommend LEDs that replace the florescent tubes.
The fluorescent tubes are just as efficient as any LED replacements you might choose that will work in the same fixture. And they're more reliable.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
LED...to replace or not to replace..that is the question!

We also have a 08', 25ft Safari and are thinking of replacing the lights with LED's...it's a bit confusing on:
1) "if" that is the best way to go; cost vs light output
2) which is best LED 9 or 12 LED's/per disk for overhead.
3) Is there an "easy to understand" document or website which explains which LED to swap for which fixutres?

We also have a solar set up came with unit, GO POWER" and it has a 2000 Watt Sine Wave DC to AC Inverter, and a "Paralex" 7300 series 55 Amp Converter/Charger and 25 Amp Regulator, which seems to work exceptionaly well. Just wondering how to lower the electrical usage and also keep cooler in summer months with lights on. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Thanks for everyone's input. I guess I'll keep the Trim-lite florescence but I'll replace the halogen reading lights and the lights in the dinette. I'm looking at one of the reading light. How do you take the lens off to install an LED "bulb". I've seen on the Airstream store LED replacements but how do you take off the lens?

Here is what the Airstream store has
https://store.airstream.com/product_...roducts_id=511

Kelvin
Old 04-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I also have an '08 Classic and the lights you describe in the bedroom are probably identical to mine. The dinette sounds different as I have a pair of puck lights there and a 3-lamp fixture over the table. Sometimes I think they install whatever lights they have in stock when the trailer is built.

The halogen bulbs simply press straight into the socket and are held in place by friction alone. They are small and not much to grip on to pull one out, but that's how the come out. Depending on the fixture, you may have to remove a lens to gain access to the bulb.

Dimmers - LEDs... Sometimes they don't play we'll together. Be prepared that a simple incandescent to LED swap may not be 100% satisfactory, or it may be just fine. LEDs come in a variety of color temperatures. Many are "cool white" and can look blue-ish and are generally harsh. "Warm white" more closely approximates the color of an incandescent bulb and seem more natural. Some of the better LEDs achieve the color by the elements used in the diode or a dyed capsule. I've seen some bargain LEDs that were "salted" with color specks and while the overall color seems right, the light as it shines on the table or on the page of your book looks blotchy.

In my opinion, if you plan on boondocking the use of LED bulbs can extend your stay before you have to recharge the batteries. On the other hand if you are likely to overnight in a Walmart parking lot now and then, LEDs are pricey replacements with possible satisfaction issues. I really like LEDs is some applications, but haven't found them to be as reliable as advertised. My factory standard tail lights have some LEDs that flicker or quit. A $3 light bulb is now a $40 LED array, and there are 4 of them! :-(
Old 04-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I emailed ITC-RV about how to remove the lens on the reading lights. You have to use a blunt screwdriver to pry off the trim ring.

I found these at LED4RV. Question is will they work with the dimmer found in these light fixtures.
9 LED Warm White Reading Spot C9WWSpot SKU130 [15751W-11] - $12.95 : LEDs 4, Recreational Vehicles

Kelvin
Old 04-11-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I just looked at mine as I didn't recall for sure how they came off. If yours is the same, there is a thin metal ring around the lens and that presses into a plastic ring at the bell end of the fixture. I worked the edge of a pocket knife between the back side of the metal ring and the plastic ring and the metal ring with the lens popped off.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
This may help.

As described upthread, the lens is in two parts. The outside is plastic, the inside is glass. Bulb access is achieved by separating the two parts of the lens at the trim ring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photobucket-3372-1351736551504.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	183028  
Old 05-13-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
My Thin-Lite florescent are probably original. If I purchased new tubes would they be possibly brighter and more efficient?

Kelvin
Old 05-13-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
My Thin-Lite florescent are probably original. If I purchased new tubes would they be possibly brighter and more efficient?

Kelvin
Yes they would probably be brighter if the old tubes have had lots of use. If so you may see some darkening near the ends of each tube. Wouldn't be more efficient in use of power though.

doug k
Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
Can anyone speak from experience about the 9 vs 12 LED replacement bulbs from LED4RV.com?

I'm about to replace my bulbs and I was wondering what works better, 9 or 12?

I'm looking at the "Warm White chip" but not sure if the 12 is too much light or if the 9 is not enough.

Thoughts??