Old 02-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #1

2006 25' International CCD
Ogden Dunes , Indiana
2006 led tail light problem

The bottom of the two right tail/turn/brake lights is very dim. I assume it is a bad ground but the wires from the tail light assembly disappear between the inner and outer walls. our they grounded to the frame? If so how do I get to them to repair the connection? The led lights are a sealed unit hard wired in so I will have to cut the wires to replace the led unit if necessary but I believe it is all caused by a bad ground connection. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 02-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
A first option would be to swap the tail light with the one on the other side, assuming that you can unplug the tail light from the wiring harness. If the problem stays with the suspected bad wiring, then you can troubleshoot further. If the problem moves with the LED tail light, then the tail light is bad.

If you need to troubleshoot the wiring, is it obvious which wire coming out of the tail light is the ground wire? Is one of them green?

Further troubleshooting would be to use a multi-meter to measure for zero ohms between the ground wire and the skin/frame. You can measure for zero ohms at the connector without stripping the wire. You can also check for 12 volts on the other wires for the stop light and running lights.

If you know for sure which wire is the ground, then you can strip off a bit of the insulation (leave the wire intact if you can), and connect a jumper wire to the skin or even the frame. Some alligator clips on the jumper wire would work well. Then you're sure you have a good ground, and can test the lights to make sure that the problem is a bad ground. If the lights now work ok, then you just need to figure out where you can make a new ground connection for that wire. No need to really track down where it’s connected to the frame, just make a new one.

Note – if you inadvertently jumper one of the 12 volt wires to ground (stop light or running light wire), you’re going to blow a fuse.

Chris

Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

kc
Square OEM lights, three wire, black, white, green?

White should be the ground.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #4

Ogden Dunes , Indiana
Thanks. The led units are hard wired, NO plugs. I think this is a bad idea. I have red, black and white wires. I am on the road with no volt meter but I do have a test light. I didn't want to disturb the factory wiring if not necessary but that may be my only choice. Thanks again
Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
White is ground in that case. Red is probably the stop/tail light, and black is probably the running lights. They could be opposite. But, white should be ground. You can verify that with your test light, if you're willing to strip some of the insulation off the wires. If white is ground, and you connect the test light between it and the frame, it will not light. It should light up with the red and black wires when you have the running lights on, or the brake pedal pushed down (or turn signal on), depending on which wire you're testing.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:33 AM   #6

Ogden Dunes , Indiana
Thanks. I think your advice is my best bet. I hope I can use the skin as the ground because the wires would have to go between the walls to get to the frame. If not my next best option is stripping some of the ground wire to the second tail light (there are two on each side) and using it's ground wire. I don't know why AS wires two tail lights except maybe a spare if one fails like mine did. Thanks for your help. AS owners are GREAT.