Old 04-19-2016, 06:33 AM   #1

1971 27' Overlander
Goodview , Virginia
1971 Tradewind Running Lights Help

Good day to all out there.
I am very excited to have found this site.

I am currently working on my family airstream. My dad purchased this back in 1979 and has been like a member of the family. As my dad did, he took us all over this great nation exploring. I am hoping to do so with my family. It is my hopes to restore this airstream and pass it down to my son in time.

It is a 1971 25ft Tradewind Land Yacht. I have been restoring a bit at a time. I have recently just finished with putting new running lights all the way around ( no LED) standard bulbs.

I am not sure what worked and didn't prior to due blown bulbs and or, the housing had rusted dryrot into.

After the install and rewiring the truck connection plug of the ambilical line to match my truck, I have all the front and side ( yellow) lights and the drivers side rear (red) marker lights working.

What I don't have working are the 3 (red) rear and passenger side rear (red) marker lights.

To troubleshoot, I have checked and rechecked my wiring of the plugs and they are correct, also reading some forums on here, I checked the interior 7 way plug housing, I have confirmed that the green wires are intact and appear to be making a good connection?

I can only see that from the interior plug housing, the green wire is crimped to the trailer green wire, is this the only single wire that supplies all the power for the running lights or is there another that may power the 4 rear, it don't make sense that it would but I have seen crazier things.

My tail and brake lights work great, no problems there other than the rusty as hell cups, p.s any ideas where I could find some of the to replace the light assembly cups?

Any suggestions or guidance would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and help.

Be safe in your travels!

Woody

Old 04-19-2016, 07:11 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
I had the rear interior cap out of mine and if I remember correctly all the running lights were just wired in series. It's been several years and the 71 may be different. You must have a break in the wire somewhere. This may be a tough one to sort out since you don't have access to the wires. Best of luck and maybe it will be simple.

68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #3

1971 27' Overlander
Goodview , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
I had the rear interior cap out of mine and if I remember correctly all the running lights were just wired in series. It's been several years and the 71 may be different. You must have a break in the wire somewhere. This may be a tough one to sort out since you don't have access to the wires. Best of luck and maybe it will be simple.
Thanks so much for the reply... After thinking more on this and looking at some questionable schematics, I'm fastly coming to the same conclusion. I think it's the worst case scenario but after all, I live under the Murphy's law, not sure that I expect anything different, lol!!! Its a challenge and for those, I'm grateful, as they lead to more knowledge, lol.

Thanks again and have a safe day.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
They were daisy chained on my '58. I did some tests prior to the wiring. On mine the wires come in the front slightly to the street side, they then go to the rear through the interior sheeting and to the street side first.
I simply connected the two wires that go to the tail light on the street side by using an alligator clamp. Then I could take the ohm meter to the wires on the trailer where they would connect to the umbilical cord, prior to wiring the new cord. This will let you know if the wires are whole from the front to the rear.
Good Luck!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #5

1971 27' Overlander
Goodview , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
They were daisy chained on my '58. I did some tests prior to the wiring. On mine the wires come in the front slightly to the street side, they then go to the rear through the interior sheeting and to the street side first.
I simply connected the two wires that go to the tail light on the street side by using an alligator clamp. Then I could take the ohm meter to the wires on the trailer where they would connect to the umbilical cord, prior to wiring the new cord. This will let you know if the wires are whole from the front to the rear.
Good Luck!
Thanks for the tid bit on how to check for the path, this will help alot. When I looked this morning, the wire location is approximate where your described.

Thanks again.

Woody