Old 10-06-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
1965 24' Tradewind Control Panel Help

All,

Still trying to sort out wiring - Can someone familiar with the control panel(in photo) explain what the red light is for and also what the switch above red light controls?

I can't quite remember but when i hooked up either 12v or 110 house current the red light worked when one or the other voltage was connected - now it doesn't work and it's only been a week.

i included front and back photos of the control panel outlet/red light/switch and thermostate

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	control panel1.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	272977   Click image for larger version

Name:	control panel2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	272978  

Name:	control panel3.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	461.7 KB
ID:	272979  

Old 10-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The switch looks like it controls the 12v outlet in the bottom photo.

Old 10-06-2016, 04:57 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Vicksburg , Mississippi
The red light may be reversed polarity warning light. Remove cover and see if lamp is connected across the neutral and gound. If it is question answered and if lit you have problem with shore power.

Switch may be for refrigerator
Old 10-06-2016, 05:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
might be for the electric water heater - if you have/had one.
(I'm thinking by '65 they were all propane)

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 06:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks for posting the great pictures. Makes it easier to help out.

My 66 Trade Wind has a 115vAC switch in a similar location. It is a switch that controls the water pump on and off. I do not have a "red light". My trailer does have a 115vAC polarity warning light in the back of the trailer. These trailers were built in the era of no AC ground plugs or plugs with different size prongs.

I might add that the water pump has a seperate fuse at the pump for added protection. If the pump doesn't run, this is a fuse I would check.

I wonder if your trailer is the "international" trim level? Your "control panel" looks nicer than my "base" model trailer.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1404 Waste Tanks See Level Display.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	259.6 KB
ID:	272986  
Old 10-06-2016, 08:46 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Carlyss , Louisiana
I have a 66 overlander the switch on mine is for the water pump, which is located at front of trailer(12 volt). I do not have a red light, it may be just an indicator that pump is on in case you hook up to outside water source. Just a guess.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:16 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
The switch looks like it controls the 12v outlet in the bottom photo.
the outlet is a household current 115V and works - red light and switch are in question not the outlet.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:17 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Thanks for posting the great pictures. Makes it easier to help out.

My 66 Trade Wind has a 115vAC switch in a similar location. It is a switch that controls the water pump on and off. I do not have a "red light". My trailer does have a 115vAC polarity warning light in the back of the trailer. These trailers were built in the era of no AC ground plugs or plugs with different size prongs.

I might add that the water pump has a seperate fuse at the pump for added protection. If the pump doesn't run, this is a fuse I would check.

I wonder if your trailer is the "international" trim level? Your "control panel" looks nicer than my "base" model trailer.

David
the interior trim and paneling is all mahogany - not sure if it's an international?
Old 10-07-2016, 06:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Me neither. International trailers may have had fancier tail lights, may have had a "flag" symbol attached to the side of the trailer, certainly did have fancier cabinetry, and some other amenities like a fancy control panel. Your thermostat is in the control panel, mine is mounted on the wall in the front of the trailer. I guess that's what prompted the question.

I've got a 1966 sales brochure in the trailer. I'll have to get it out and see the options that were added to the international trim level.

Maybe the red light indicator shows the water pump is on. Would be handy for us folks that don't hear as well as we used to. Generally water pumps are noisy, and having pressure at a faucet is a good indicator it is on.

David
Old 10-07-2016, 10:57 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1967 24' Tradewind
Aurora , Colorado
The switch in that location on my '67 controls the water pump. Your red light, judging by the difference in the mounting at the rear, was a later add-on.

Neophyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 11:40 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovzilla View Post
the outlet is a household current 115V and works - red light and switch are in question not the outlet.
My '67 Overlander has a similar panel. Like yours, the top item is the thermostat control for the A/C. The toggle switch under it operates our water pump. We don't have anything where your pic shows the red light but suspect it might be an "on" indicator for the water pump. Tracing the wire may help you find out.

I used the space where your red light is to install a toggle switch to operate a 12v LED light under the overhead cabinet to the left, one of the best mods I've ever made. I got 12 volt power for it from the pump switch above it.

Of course you already know the duplex receptacle below is 120v.

Good luck in your quest for info
Old 10-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
thank you all very much - i'll have to learn how to use an OHM meter! all the interior skin and zoltone finish are perfect in my 1965 24' tradewind and i don;t want to mess with removing any interior skin to trace wires.

since most everything is working(except the univolt is missing and bathroom has been mostly disassembled (except tub)i have some rear wiring to figure out.

**i'd like to ask the question again which i posted in the Univolt electrical forum(with photos of wires) which nobody has responded to:
does anyone have access to their Univolt to take some photos of it and wires that lead in and out of it?? or can you look at the labeled wires in the photos below and help with where they may lead??
- also was wondering what the small switch and cut wires were for in the last close up photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	273012   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	273013  

Name:	3-close up.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	273014   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	273015  

Old 10-07-2016, 06:11 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Wires and Wires

Hi again. So we are looking at the electrical distribution area in what's left of the bathroom in your trailer. It looks similar to my 66 Trade Wind.

I was participating in another recent thread where mx wants to install a new converter. Been there, done that, but no T shirt. Take a look here, it may help you some:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f420...ri-156604.html

If you have an old "univolt" converter, I highly recommend you purchase a new one. Those old units are battery cookers. And they generate lots of DC "ripple" , or voltage fluctuations that causes problems with other devices in your trailer. A new converter is less than $200.

Most vintage Airstreams have a spare 115vAC circuit for a future air conditioner. Mine did, even though some previous owner ran a separate wire anyways. Airstream did not lable this wire. Mine was never connected to a breaker to make it "hot". That may be one of your "not hots".

Here is a wiring diagram of my 66 Trade Wind from the owner's manual, and available on line at Airstream.com. It may help you identify some wires.

As stated in the linked post above. A converter is powered by 115vAC shore power, so that's one 115vAC wire that may be laying on the floor of your trailer. Then the converter has 12DC "black" positive and a negative "white" wire coming out of it and going to the fuse panel. The idea is the 12v circuits in your trailer are EITHER powered by your 12v battery OR powered by the converter.

Trying my best to confuse you.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1404 Trailer Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	273034   Click image for larger version

Name:	1404 Univolt Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	180.7 KB
ID:	273035  

Name:	1401 Electrical Extra Circuit.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	273036  
Old 10-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1966 20' Globetrotter
Seattle , Washington
david - i will investigate my wiring however i wanted to let you know that my trailer has an original air conditioner mounted in the ceiling so i am assuming that is already wired to the circuit breaker box.

**the only 2 outlets currently not working are in bedroom - one on curbside and one on street side.

i was going to experiment and (one at a time) hook up the "non-hot" 115v wires to the 3 pair of 115v wires that are hot and see if the 2 outlets (which are the only ones currently not working in the bedroom area)get juice.

i know for sure the current "hot" 115v wire in the photos went to an outlet in the bathroom that was removed because the outlet was saved and in the parts box.

i also cannot find any 12v fuses anywhere?? any idea where they may be accessed?? someone mentioned they could have been located in the Univolt but my Univolt is long gone and i will replace it.

any harm in doing this?? your thoughts??

Tags