Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electrical - Systems, Generators, Batteries & Solar > Lights - Interior & Exterior
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2007, 03:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
Canfield , Ohio
Unhappy 1962 ambassador wiring diagram (umbilical)?

We are trying to sort out some issues with our wiring. Tail lights, turn signals...etc. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 62? Thanks in advance...
Heather
Hamb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:28 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
Canfield , Ohio
oh...forgot to mention

Our tv is a 2004 chevy silverado
Old 03-31-2007, 03:45 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The wiring is pretty much standard, through the 1970's. After that, the industry standard was changed, which may be why you are having troubles.
Here is a 7 pin plug, this is current, yours may be different, but will need to look like this to conform to your tow vehicle:
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2007, 03:54 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1962 abassador wiring diagram (umbilical)?

Greetings Heather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamb7
We are trying to sort out some issues with our wiring. Tail lights, turn signals...etc. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 62? Thanks in advance...
Heather
Airstream hasn't published its Bargman Connector wiring schematics for coahces built prior to 1964. It is quite possible, however, that your 1962 may have similar color codes and schematics to the '64. The link below will take you to the pdf file containing the 1964/1965 Bargman connector wiring. You will note that both the "Pin-out" pattern and color coding of wires varies from the standard utilized today.

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p...lug1964-65.pdf

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
Canfield , Ohio
so tell me more....

What are the basic steps for problem solving these issues. I guess one thought is to get a battery and use it to figure out which wire on the coach does what? We have...

red, yellow, green, blue, white, black, brown on the coach.

On the pin we have
red, yellow, orange, green, brown,white , black

Silly question, does it matter as much about the color on the pin or the position the wire is in in the pin? Does that make sense? I am wondering if PO put the wires in the correct spot on the pin.
Heather
Old 03-31-2007, 05:46 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1962 abassador wiring diagram (umbilical)?

Greetings Heather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamb7
What are the basic steps for problem solving these issues. I guess one thought is to get a battery and use it to figure out which wire on the coach does what? We have...

red, yellow, green, blue, white, black, brown on the coach.

On the pin we have
red, yellow, orange, green, brown,white , black

Silly question, does it matter as much about the color on the pin or the position the wire is in in the pin? Does that make sense? I am wondering if PO put the wires in the correct spot on the pin.
Heather
I wouldn't count on what a previous owner may or may not have done -- neither of my coaches had Bargman connectors that were wired to match the current standard format that my tow vehicles had (and neither was wired precisely according to the illustrations on the Airstream site -- the wire colors matched their labeled functions, however). Both my '64 and '78 had the color codes matching those in the corresponding Airstream literature. The function of the wire is more important than its color, and you want to match the functions between the modern standard connector on your tow vehicle to the rewiring of the Bargman connector on your coach. Before towing, each of my coaches required new Bargman connectors to match up with my tow vehicle -- to insure that the correct wires found their way onto each terminal, I utilized my garden tractor's battery to check the function of each wire (you will need a pair of alligator clips on long, rather heavy wires to perform these checks).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:09 PM   #7
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Here's a version I used on my vehicles. It may or may not match either of your vehicles. If you plan to tow a different trailer while still owning yours or if a different tow vehicle is used to tow yours, you should follow the current industry standard. Forget about the color of insulator wire, just make sure it works correctly.

Brad
FF
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BargmanUmbilical.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	34928  

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 06:46 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
Canfield , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
The function of the wire is more important than its color, and you want to match the functions between the modern standard connector on your tow vehicle to the rewiring of the Bargman connector on your coach.
What we have now is the wires coming from the coach with the old wires then a bunch of quick connects then it starts the new wires into a 7 pin device the goes into the truck. I think it is going to be a bunch of trial and error. But is sounds like we have all the parts we need.
Old 03-31-2007, 07:10 PM   #9
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
You may need to find a way to combine the brake and turn signal wires. Some of the older Airstreams had separate wires for the brakes and turn signals.

As you can see in Brad's diagram, the brake & turn signals are now combined at pin 5 & 6.

If you want to maintain operability of the separate brake light, try wiring it to the CHMSL (center high mount stop light) wire.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 08:28 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1962 28' Ambassador
Canfield , Ohio
"You may need to find a way to combine the brake and turn signal wires. Some of the older Airstreams had separate wires for the brakes and turn signals."

ok...clueless here would that mean somehow making the brake wire into two so it goes into each pin...???? I understand what you mean about the seperate brake light.
Heather
Old 03-31-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If your tailight is like mine, you will have a single filament bulb (running lights), and a dual filament bulb; one filament for the brake light and one for the turn signal.

If you combine the wires for the brake and turn signal, then when there is power the brake/turn signal from the tow vehicle, both filaments will light. You would need to do this at the rear, in the brake light assembly. Check the wattage and wire size.

There is no separate "pin" for brake lights from modern tow vehicles. See Brad's diagram.

The original connectors for my '59 were:

Six pin connector
  • Red - left directional sig.
  • Green - running lights, tail light, licence plate
  • Blue - brake magnets
  • Black - brake lights
  • Yellow - right directional sig.
  • White - ground
Three prong Twist lock plug
  • Copper - hot 12V charge line
  • Brass - ground
  • 3rd pin - not used