Old 09-04-2007, 12:35 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Yikes! Grey water tank leaking...please advise

Okay... I admit, it only leaks when I over fill it. I think it only holds 13 gallons. But shouldn't it overflow into the shower? It makes me think my tank is not intact. Here is what happens. There is a little (1/4 inch ?) pipe I see under the trailer near the grey water valve. Water comes out of this first... could it be a safety overflow? Then water just leaks freely from the belly pan in places where metal sheets are coming together.

Yesterday when I moved the trailer water leaked from under the front part of the trailer when I had her 'nose down' making me think there was water trapped under the whole underneath...

How much trouble am I in? I am planning to live in the trailer for a few months this winter... hopefully with hook ups this won't be a problem.

Thanks for your thoughts. Pam

Old 09-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Pam, your grey tank has a capacity of 10 gallons, and there is an overflow hose that will drain when the tank is overfilled. It will also drain when the liquid sloshes while moving.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:21 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Thanks Overlander63... any thoughts why water might be getting into the belly pan (is that what you call the inclosed area under the trailer?)... Pam
Old 09-04-2007, 04:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelake
Thanks Overlander63... any thoughts why water might be getting into the belly pan (is that what you call the inclosed area under the trailer?)... Pam
It is possible that the tank is cracked at the top, or it could be the vent fitting is loose.

There has never been, to my knowledge, an 'overflow" fitting.

When the gray tank is full, it should back up into the tub, or in the shower pan.

Andy
Old 09-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Here is a photo of the overflow hoses on our 74, they dump into the belly pan. Andy doesn't think they are factory, they may have been added by a PO. The hoses are in the leftside of the rear compartment, one on either side of the black dump valve.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 007.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	44410  
Old 07-20-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
mineola , Texas
I think I might be in the same boat. I Left the gray water valve closed and collected too much water noticed same dripping as you did. I looked and I found water around the top of the gray water tank where the drain goes in. I am hoping that I can seal around the drain and be ok.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I am pulling up this old thread to ask a similar question.

Last week, by accident, I let my grey water tank fill until the water backed up in the shower. I got out of the shower and went out to dump the tank and noticed that water was coming out of the plastic cover surrounding the bottom of the grey tank. I figured a pipe fitting was leaking. I opened panels inside the trailer and located the galley sink connection into the grey tank. I found the shower and bathroom sink drain into the grey tank. I found the black tank vent pipe but I could not find a grey tank vent pipe anywhere. There was no sign of leaking water anywhere above the floor and the top of the tank was not wet in the small areas I could feel.

My AS is an 02 Safari 25 rear bedroom queen. Does anyone know if any of the models built in this era had an overflow as described by Overlander63 in a previous post in this thread? Any thoughts or ideas?

I plan to blow air up the grey tank dump to see if the tank is vented with the black tank. I sure could not find any sign of a grey tank vent anywhere during my search.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
The Way it Should Work...

... Inland Andy is correct. Any "overflow" was probably added by a previous owner.
The gray-water (Auxillary) tank has a 9-10 gallon usable capacity as Overlander63 has indicated. Gray water should back up into the shower when the tank is full.
That said, I once had an Airstream in which the gray water tank would overflow into the pan instead of backing up into the shower.
It was because there was freeze-damage in the drain pipe between the shower and the gray-water tank.
Strangely, the shower would drain without leaking until the gray-water tank was full, then the broken drain pipe would allow overflow into the pan.
If this turns out to be your issue, I can tell you how to fix it.
Hope this helps.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
I was able to check all of the internal piping down to the top of the grey tank except that I could not find the tank vent pipe. No sign of leaks anywhere with the pipes or the connections on top of the tank. My AS came from the factory with a 39 gallon grey tank. Perhaps there is a crack in the top of the tank.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Oops, My Bust... (No Pun Intended)

I didn't notice that you had piggy-backed on the earlier thread.
Your tank does not have a vent.
It is vented via the gray-water vent shared by the various drains on the shared, gray-water, drain line.
That said, any broken joint along the drain line could leak into your pan once the gray-water tank is full.
THere would not be any leaking inside the coach.
The black-water drain line has a separate vent not shared with the gray-water drain line.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Cambridge , Wisconsin
Hi, I'm new to as forums and have just bought a 2007 safari 27fb se. We love. But last trip, when taking shower the water came out belly pan seams immediately. It also did it for galley sink. Any ideas where to start. Thanks