Old 07-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Why 25FB Shower Pan has a Seat?

I've always thought the shower floor had the half seat because of the wheel well but when looking outside the trailer the wheel well finishes under the fridge not even near to the shower. Does AS need to do this for some plumbing or wiring? It would sure be nice to take a shower without that seat in the way.

The 25RB has a full seat in the shower. Must be more difficult to take a shower.

Kelvin

Old 07-25-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I've always thought the shower floor had the half seat because of the wheel well but when looking outside the trailer the wheel well finishes under the fridge not even near to the shower. Does AS need to do this for some plumbing or wiring? It would sure be nice to take a shower without that seat in the way.

The 25RB has a full seat in the shower. Must be more difficult to take a shower.

Kelvin
Kelvin.

The shower seat provides a place to sit down, so you can better scrub you ankles and toes.

It also helps saving water when 2 people shower together, along with other fringe benefits.

Plus on many models, it does go over the top of wheel well covers.

Andy

Andy

Old 07-25-2015, 11:35 AM   #3
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:

Kelvin
The seat-type shower pans can be used in other models where the wheelwell or outside shower would interfere with a full-stall shower. It makes more sense if there were only a couple of different showers than one for every single model.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
So if I wanted to get an Airstream renovator to put in a shower pan that was full size then it shouldn't be an issue except for how to pay for it.

Kelvin
Old 07-25-2015, 11:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
My 23 Safari also has a shower seat. Use it all the time. It is at the aft of the trailer, no where near wheel well and the the space underneath has no exterior access. Seems like waste of good storage space to me.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
My 23 Safari also has a shower seat. Use it all the time. It is at the aft of the trailer, no where near wheel well and the the space underneath has no exterior access. Seems like waste of good storage space to me.
That's fixable. Cut a hole in the top to provide access, use a hinged plywood cover as a new seat (waterproofed, of course), and make sure you put a gasket around the hole you cut to prevent water penetration while showering. Inside the seat would be a great place to store cleaning supplies.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
So if I wanted to get an Airstream renovator to put in a shower pan that was full size then it shouldn't be an issue except for how to pay for it.

Kelvin
Kelvin.

Most likely the labor will cost far more than the shower pan.

Andy
Old 07-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Costa Mesa , California
I believe the major reason is because of the necessarily small space. Most of us could not get to our lower legs & feet without the seat.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I never used the seat. Sometimes I'll lift my legs on it one at a time to clean my feet but AS doesn't really need to make the seat that big to do that. If it was half as long it would be easier to stand in the shower. Having the seat extend all the way across like in the 25RB must make it impossible to turn around without your shoulders hitting the shower door and making you loose your balance.

Kelvin
Old 07-26-2015, 12:40 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
That's fixable. Cut a hole in the top to provide access, use a hinged plywood cover as a new seat (waterproofed, of course), and make sure you put a gasket around the hole you cut to prevent water penetration while showering. Inside the seat would be a great place to store cleaning supplies.
Several years ago we installed a screw-out deck plate (for a boat) on the side of our seat. It gives us water-tight access to that formerly unused space as well as a nice inspection port to see if there are any leaks associated with either the shower or our Bambi's exterior.

Tim
Old 07-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
I never used the seat. Sometimes I'll lift my legs on it one at a time to clean my feet but AS doesn't really need to make the seat that big to do that. If it was half as long it would be easier to stand in the shower. Having the seat extend all the way across like in the 25RB must make it impossible to turn around without your shoulders hitting the shower door and making you loose your balance.

Kelvin
After hundreds of showers in our 25RB we see no problems with the shower seat. None.

If looking for a new Airstream the shower seat as designed is a complete non-issue, I can't stand upright next to the inward curved wall anyway, and I like the seat for washing my feet. The showers in all Airstreams are small, but how much of our day do we spend there.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
Several years ago we installed a screw-out deck plate (for a boat) on the side of our seat. It gives us water-tight access to that formerly unused space as well as a nice inspection port to see if there are any leaks associated with either the shower or our Bambi's exterior.

Tim
Hey Tim,
Do you happen to have a picture of your modification you could post?
Old 07-26-2015, 05:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Over 6 foot here. Seat makes the shower in such a confined space easier.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Moutain Center , California
From a women's point of view.....we shave our legs, so having a place to sit helps! Also, my husband and I have made a habit of using campground showers rather than our own - for several reasons...less grey water to dump, no need to dry out/clean shower stall afterwards and we use our shower for our cat litter box, as well as storing other items. We do wear sandals in campground showers and that's a bit of a pain - but no big deal.