Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2004, 09:40 PM   #1
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
What's under the toilet?

I pulled my toilet to look underneath it. I guess I should try and find better things to do...

I see the gasket that attaches to bottom of the toilet and the metal flange that mounts on the floor... Good think I started checking this out because both nuts holding down the toilet were finger loose.

Anyway, I am happy that the flange looks good and all the screws were able to be snugged up tight telling me the wood is good.

I went ahead and chaulked around the outside of the toilet flange and behind the toilet wall since ours is a wet bath.

My question, finally

How does the gasket work that keeps the water in the black tank from leaking out the top of the tank where the toilet connects. It must be between the screwed down metal flange and the top of the plastic tank?

I am asking because when I over fill my black tank, it leaks out the bottom of the bellypan. Not something I want to reproduce to check for leaks

All is well when I dump daily with the three of us using it.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Unhappy Not you~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
I pulled my toilet to look underneath it. I guess I should try and find better things to do...
I see the gasket that attaches to bottom of the toilet and the metal flange that mounts on the floor... Good think I started checking this out because both nuts holding down the toilet were finger loose.
Anyway, I am happy that the flange looks good and all the screws were able to be snugged up tight telling me the wood is good.
I went ahead and chaulked around the outside of the toilet flange and behind the toilet wall since ours is a wet bath.
My question, finally
How does the gasket work that keeps the water in the black tank from leaking out the top of the tank where the toilet connects. It must be between the screwed down metal flange and the top of the plastic tank?
I am asking because when I over fill my black tank, it leaks out the bottom of the bellypan. Not something I want to reproduce to check for leaks
All is well when I dump daily with the three of us using it.
Tim~
At the toilet base, there should be a wax collar, which is compressed as you tighten down the flange, thus sealing it~
If you're having a leak whenever you get to the upper limits, I'd check to see if this seal is still good first (you did see a wax collar at the base?).
I've always been told to be prepared to replace this seal if you should ever remove the toilet. I think it's a judgement call..
It's quite possible you just might have a cracked in the holding tank.
I'll be dropping the belly on mine soon, and taking mine apart whenever the WX clears up..
Good luck to you~!
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:41 PM   #3
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
No wax ring on mine. There is a rubber gasket on the base of the toilet. It is sort of cone shapped to fit into the opening. I sprayed it with some silicone spray while I had access to it.

I know regular home toilets have wax rings, maybe that is what your thinking of? Or I got some real problems!!

That seal keeps *stuff* from leaking onto the top of the bathroom floor when the toilet is flushed.

What I am asking about is what keeps the liquids from leaking out of the top of the holding tank to the bottom of the subfloor.

I don't even know if what I am asking makes sense.

I guess another way to put it is, what would I see if I pulled my metal flange and collar out?
Old 07-08-2004, 10:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Tim,

I have my toilet off right now and I don't see a wax ring either. A 1970 Overlander. I was wondering the same thing about the seal and such. My metal flange is a white enameled metal with tight but rusty screws. The black plastic flange runs under that and into the black zone. I am new to this so I haven't experiences a black tank overflow. I am trying to work up the nerve to remove the screws and possibly replace the white ring with a nice brass one I have in my hand... but I am afraid... the dog is sleeping.

Ken.
TroutStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:16 PM   #5
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I know what you mean. At this point I don't want to go any further trying to correct it since I don't really know where the problem is. And if it is a seal on top of the tank that would probably have to be accessed under the subfloor.

Another possibiltiy is the joint at the vent pipe is leaking, or the dreaded crack in the top of the tank

Since all I have to do is dump the tank daily, which is not too much to ask since its only around 12 gallons for a family of four, I'm going to stick with that.

I'm just curious how it all works at this point.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:00 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
I just recently bought a new Thetford Bravura toilet, and had hoped that the box contained the metal ring to hold the toilet down to the floor. After 2 calls to Thetford, they were no help whatsoever. They actually had kind of a nasty attitude when I asked about it. There comment was that I have to get that from Airstream. When I described what I was looking for, and asked if it was available, they again suggested I call Airstream.

I did find something that I believe will do the job. $7 at Lowe's. Pic attached.

As for the flange... the toilet came with a rubber seal. I am concerned that it isn't thick enough to make as good a seal as is necessary. So I emailed Thetford and asked if it was "OK" to use a wax seal. They were less help than before...

Dear Sir,
We do not recommend using the wax ring for several reasons. Once in place and you find it incorrect it will have an indentation and can cause a leak. You would void your warranty this is not the type we supply with the unit therefore it would not be an authentic Thetford part.

I emailed them back and asked if the wax would cause any problems with the plastic of the toilet. That was my concern, not voiding my warranty because I installed it incorrectly and got a leak. They never replied.

I believe I remember seeing somewhere that there is a rubber seal made that is thicker. I will search for that.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flange2.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	7604  
Attached Images

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:46 AM   #7
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I don't think the flange in the picture will work, any rv I have seen has a collar that is threaded into the top of the tank. That makes the seal at the tank and the rubber gasket seals the toilet to the flange.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 06:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74Argosy24MH
I don't think the flange in the picture will work, any rv I have seen has a collar that is threaded into the top of the tank. That makes the seal at the tank and the rubber gasket seals the toilet to the flange.

John
Sorry. The brass ring is for holding the toilet to the floor. I mistakenly called it a flange. The flange is made of rubber.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:57 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
This is what mine looks likes. No wax ring, only the flexible rubber ring that mates to the bottom of the toilet. Works kind of like a giant o-ring.

The orange flange bolted to the shower floor. There is a hard plastic collar that screws into the holding tank pulling it all together.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:45 AM   #10
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Now I get it. The black collar screws into a threaded opening in the tank. So that seals it up.

That's not likely to be my leak then.

Thanks for the info!
Old 07-09-2004, 02:54 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1975 24' Argosy 24
Burlington , Ontario
Toilet and tank seal

undefinedundefined
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyW
This is what mine looks likes. No wax ring, only the flexible rubber ring that mates to the bottom of the toilet. Works kind of like a giant o-ring.

The orange flange bolted to the shower floor. There is a hard plastic collar that screws into the holding tank pulling it all together.

Be sure to water proof the floor around the tank(toilet) it is particle board, and you would have a dambable job replacing it. I had to. also if you can do the floor, they also rot. Especially at the door entrance. I used varnish.

Rae Baker
raebaker06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:10 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I just replaced my seal in my 75 - it is a rubber seal - it was leaking before replacement - it has a tendency to dry out. I also replaced the "guts" of the toilet - nothing seems to leak now.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 03:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
No wax ring on mine. There is a rubber gasket on the base of the toilet. It is sort of cone shapped to fit into the opening. I sprayed it with some silicone spray while I had access to it...
I have no particular expertise on RV toilets.

When I found a foam rubber gasket on my '67 Overlander, I thought, "That makes sense; A wax ring would never survive the vibration a mobile toilet gets".

IMO, if you find a wax ring in your RV, it was the PO's work. While not meant to be a challenge, does anyone care to differ?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:25 PM   #14
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
I just replaced my seal in my 75 - it is a rubber seal - it was leaking before replacement - it has a tendency to dry out. I also replaced the "guts" of the toilet - nothing seems to leak now.

Ken
Ken,

The seal you replaced is the rubber one on the bottom of the toilet? On the leak you had from the seal, was the water coming out of the bottom of the toilet on the top of your bathroom floor? Or was water coming out of the belly pan?

Has anyone pulled out the collar from the tank? Would you seal this with just teflon tape on the collar threads?
Old 07-09-2004, 04:30 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
...Has anyone pulled out the collar from the tank? Would you seal this with just teflon tape on the collar threads?
My collar was sealed with what appeared to be reqular pipe dope.

IMO, whatever you use, as long as it puts up a mild fight to reinstall, you will be fine.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 04:36 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I had two problems, water leaking from the bottom of the toilet/top of tank onto floor and the toilet would not hold water - that is the water would not stay in bowl. So I replaced the guts and rubber seal and all is well! I did have water - ah blue stuff - dripping from the belly pan - that was leaky valves - replaced those too.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:36 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Has anyone pulled out the collar from the tank? Would you seal this with just teflon tape on the collar threads?
Seal it with plumbers grease. Comes in a little tin like lip balm.

-"You want to make it two inches - or, if you're working in centimeters, make sure it's enough centimeters for two inches."-Red Green
BobbyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 10:13 PM   #18
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Tim,
Your black tank sits on top of the floor.
If the rubber ring on the bottom of your toilet is leaking, or not seated properly, then water, or "stuff" like you called it, will leak down, in between the plywood that is on top of the tank, and the plastic cover that the toilet sits on. Some water will run over the plywood, but most of it will run over the tank, down the sides, on the floor and through the hole in the floor where the dump valve lives. Now your water will drip out of the belly pan, after soaking your tank covering, floor and insulation.
FIX THIS SOON! I bet it's either the rubber seal on top of the flange, or you've got a cracked tank connection at the top. I suggest youtake the toilet out once again, and remove the unscrew the tank flange. Inspect everything. It's not only a nuisance, but also a health hazard and it will definiely rot your floor, if it hasn't done so already.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:55 PM   #19
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Argh

Gee thanks... I was just getting to like you

Problem is I know your right

Actually, I just thought of this.

Like I mentioned earlier, the wood appears to be good because all of the screws in the metal toilet flange were very tight. About three were a little loose and I was able to tighten them quite well. So that is good news.

If the leak that I saw out of the belly pan during the over fill of the tank can come from the rubber toilet seal, I may have fixed it already.

The two nuts holding the toilet down were not tight at all. I loosed and removed them with just my fingers. Also the toilet was able to rock side by side.

After I removed it and inspected everything, sprayed the seal with silicone spray, I tightened the nuts good with a wrench.

Now the toilet is secure. So, that itself would probably fix that seal.

The way I see it, as long as I've convinced myself it should be ok