Old 11-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
What's this hole in the Bathroom?

I've got a 1971 Overlander. Next to the toilet is a 6" round hole that leads to the back battery compartment. What is this hole for? There is nothing in the bathroom or at the toilet that would need a hole that size. Thanks!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
hole

in my 70 globetrotter 20ft, there was a hole there that had a hose and a grill over it. the hose was hooked to a fan in the bottom of closet next to sink . it had a switch, when turned on it was the exhaust vent for the bath room. it did not have a overhead vent fan because there wasn't room for one. hope that helped you.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Hattiesburg , Ms
Send a message via AIM to gutsgolf Send a message via Skype™ to gutsgolf
fan

my soverign has a little hole with a screen by the toilet and there is a hose that leads under the floor. it is a vent fan, hope yours is that easy
"Silver Belle"
AS 16741
gutsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Springfield , Missouri
Yes, my Overlander also has an exhaust fan located just to the left of the stool (as you sit) with a switch. A hose is run into the closet and vented out to the bottom of the trailer. Right above the 6" hole is a holder for a spray to wash out the stool. It was not there when I bought the trailer, but you wouldn't need a 6" hole for that small hose. Still wondering??
Old 11-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Maybe a picture of your bath layout would help. In my '73 Overlander, the battery is under the bathtub. As you sit on the "throne", it would be in front and to the left of you.

Do you have heating duck work back there? Again, that is in front of you under the tub in mine, but that may be a possibility. The idea is that the heat is ducked down to the black tank so that it doesn't freeze during winter camping.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Graham , North Carolina
My 72 also has the vent fan run to the back with duck hose.

wear it out, don't rust it out

Jerry
jpeterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #7
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
We have a hole which is for the vent fan in our 71 27' Overlander -- but it's certainly not 6" in diameter:

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): http://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: http://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:23 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag'71 View Post
I've got a 1971 Overlander. Next to the toilet is a 6" round hole that leads to the back battery compartment. What is this hole for? There is nothing in the bathroom or at the toilet that would need a hole that size. Thanks!
We have that same cut out in our 71. It's beside the toilet on the left side near the floor and goes into the trunk. At some point that was probably the accepted method of getting into the rear hold down bolt on the toilet.

When we laid the vinyl tile in the bath I used a piece of that tile to cover the hole from the trunk side and taped it in place with the silver foil duct tape. Anything that would blend in with the interior (I presume minty green) ABS finish would work.

While your in there. Take a look at the where the back of that lower panel meets the wood. You'll find the ABS is lipped and held to the wood with an occasional screw. Our ABS was cracked at several of the screws from the weight of people standing next to the bath sink over the years. I fixed that by using strips of 3/8th or 1/2 wide cabinet angles with one leg cut off of them. It strengthened the bath floor more than you would expect....