Old 07-16-2011, 11:57 PM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Especially after Chevy fixed all his complaints with the suspension. He never mentioned that.
Chevy didn't fix the issues until they became public. Nader didn't discover anything, though... it was a GM engineer who was overruled when he wanted to correct the problem they found in testing.

It IS a shame that the later Corvairs were cursed by the problem that Alfred Sloane and his minions chose to try to bury instead of fix on the first-year models, then had an investigator dig for dirt on Nader rather than just giving in and making the Corvair right from the beginning. Unfortunately for Sloane, Nader is one of the most boring men ever born and there just wasn't dirt to be found, AND Nader caught wind of the private eye's digging.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 01:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
I bought a brand spanking new Spyder - the Corvair with the turbo...!

Being a road-racer type in those days (previous car was an Austin Healy Sprite that I'd shoe-horned a Chevy V-8 into - but that's another story...), I drove away from the dealer, decided to take a quick corner and nearly swapped ends with my shiny new sea-foam green coupe!

After I collected my thoughts, I learned how to drive that rear-engine 'wee-beastie' and never had another 'problem' in the handling department...

I bought some after-market 'shorter' steering arms for the front spindles to tighten up the lock-to-lock turns in the steering which helped quite a bit...

That tiny turbo was a fun 'toy' - you could actually feel the boost as the rev's came up - but with it's restrictive intake system, getting off the line was a time consuming project, to say the least! Chevy installed a combination vacuum-boost gauge in the dash cluster so you could see when the turbo was providing boost...

After about a year, I took off the turbo and installed four, single barrel carbs, different cam, and a heavier clutch - the increase in low speed power was a kick in the pants, when compared with the stock turbo - the high end suffered a bit, but not all that noticeable in the end...

Those early six-cylinder, air cooled Corvair engines were an oil supplier's joy - they seemed to leak no matter what you tried! I guess the Chevy engineers couldn't figure out how to control all the expansion-contraction issues with those hot little engines...

Chevy used a single fan belt on those engines that turned the cooling fan on top of the engine, then took a 90 degree turn (alternator pulley and an idler pulley) down the rear of the engine around the crank shaft - it was a unique idea that worked most of the time...when I went with the 4 carbs, I'd sometimes 'pop' the belt when making a quick start or snappy gear change!...An aftermarket idler pulley that was spring loaded cured that problem...

Truly and interesting machine, and was a fun car to drive when you learned it's unique handling characteristics...PLUS you could load up the front 'trunk' with several cases of beer and a load of ice for some great 'tail gate' parties at the beach!

Old 07-17-2011, 10:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Are thoses vacuum brake things required? There wasn't one in my MH when I bought it 4 yrs ago. We've been fulltiming for 3 yrs without any problems. Had to replace the showerhead & hose but I think that was an age related issue. Not caused by the lack of vacuum brake.

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:14 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
1993 30' Excella
Hillsboro , Texas
The VB has a rubber diaphram inside it and it has a hole in it. A new VB may be available at one of the home store chains, or you might find a replacement diaphram.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The vacuum brake is right up there with several other gadgets the "Do Gooders" have inflected on use as a means of protecting us from us.

Just like the removal of the 4 burner stove to a 3 burner so our trailer could not be considered a Park Model. The detachable umbilical cord, not sure what that is all about yet. And the installation of GFI breakers in the bathroom and kitchen while allowing the complete trailer body to float with respect to the wet grass outside.

I always slap the door handle to my trailer before I grab it when every my feet are wet. A little shock is much better than being stuck to the handle. I watched a friend go for his handle only to be locked to it with 70 volts because another trailer had parked next to him and plugged into the same post he was plugged to. When we mentioned it to the campground they said they knew of the problem and were going to have it fixed SOON.

By the way I am not a Lawyer and did not play one on TV. Just 40 years of industrial maintenance supervision.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Vacuum breaker? Well, I suppose something bad could happen just like all those pesky problems you might encounter when running with your fridge running on gas.

When installing my sprinkler system, I asked the manager of the hardware store where I bought all the parts, "Why do I have to have a vacuum/backflow preventer in my system?" He went through a bunch of possibilities. If you have standing water in your yard and the city water system created a vacuum in the lines, water could be drawn from your lawn, back through the pipes and into the fresh water system of the city. He couldn't give me an example of how this could happen nor could he ever say that it ever did happen. Of course, it COULD happen so that is why he wanted to sell me a $200 thingy for my system.

By and large, I believe that building codes are good things and they do protect the community but........some are just a bit silly.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:53 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
The original case of Legionela was in a hotel in Philadelphia. It is believed that a vacuum was pulled on the feed water to the air conditioning system on the roof. This allowed water that had been in the cooling towel for some period to be pulled back into the hotels domestic water supply. Once the problem on the roof was correct that contaminated water was dispensed within the hotel thus infecting several guests.

Considering the nature of water systems in high rise building a safety system such as a vacuum breaker is a logical and necessary device. However this idea has been carried to the extreme and in many cases causing Problems.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:37 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Medina , Ohio
Well everyone, I have returned from my short camping trip WITHOUT the vacuum breaker - shower worked fine - I DID, however, purchase a new one from Out Of Doors Mart. It was waiting for me when I got home. I have not installed it as yet - I'll try it but have the peace-of-mind that it isn't necessary and if it gives me trouble, it's coming off. Thanks to all for the advice!
Old 07-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Successful First Outting

Palmtree Girl,
Congratulations on a successful first outting, hopefully there will be many more to follow. Do you have any pictures to share?
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Plamtreegirl
Remember two things
THE ONLY STUPID QUESTIONS are the ONES YOU DONT ASK.
YOU are NOT ALONE. THERE are Airstreamers close to you that will be glad to help if ya need it. THERE is DANB and CTD AIR(Al and Shinim)Loudruff( Lou and Larry) and others in your area.JUST ASK
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:41 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
I dont think mine has or had one VB that is. I have had that all apart and never found anything like that.

7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote