Old 11-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
What is hidden behind these....

There are two spaces in the head area of my 2007 Safari that I would like to determine their purpose. The water line comes out of the lower front of the box space in question. It has a rounded front top edge.

The other one of interest is directly beside the toilet and is a small triganular space to the right looking a the toilet drain hole.

Thes spaces make cleaning around the toilet difficult unless u remove the toilet entirely. If there's nothing behind them or if there are access panels I'd like to know what they access.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1467.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	115264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1468.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	115265  

Old 11-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Is the wedge hiding the back of the water heater?

LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
_

. , .
a/s is not in the habit of finishing in empty spaces with bulges, just for the sake of it.

so there is absolutely stuff behind both...

probably.

a larger photo (with more perspective) of the area would be useful

the online parts manuals have reasonable schematics for most interior and exterior walls.

Airstream, Inc :: Travel Trailer Manuals

not every crevice or system is completely laid out but it would be useful to scan the relevant year/model/length.

access panels often have phillips head screws painted to match the location, but sometimes just a bead of caulking.

the space behind the crapper in my unit has a similar build out,

and covers 3-4 pex lines that pass under the subfloor in that location, but it's a different floor plan.

water heater is a good guess for the far right, but that should be obvious from other views (like inside the small doors)

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
Royal Throne Dilemma....

October 2010 we purchased a pre-owned 2007 28' Safari with a Thetford Model 31653 plastic toilet. I'm trying to confirm the common name of the toilet model but from Thetford's website photos but it looks to me to be a AQUA MAGIC V Foot Pedal Push.

The AS with toilet had been in temporary storage but had been in use seasonally. Prior to the purchase we operated the functions of the AS systems including the toilet. The AS needed some cleaning but everything seemed to work. We did notice a toilet odor but passed it off as not enough deodorizer and needing some cleaning. When home we dug into the cleaning part, but the odor seemed to remain.

I decided it was time to pop the toilet lose from the flange and inspect. The black water tank looked clean, there does not appear to be a mound or pool of liquid. I noticed that the Thetford toilet bowl drain design did not connect directly to the floor flange through a closely held pipe...unlike a household toilet. Rather, the plastic bowl portion ends at the valve. There is about a 5" or 6" drop from the bowl to the opening in the black water tank. The outside perimeter of the lower half of the toilet the "stand for the bowl" acts as a sealed space, the bottom of which has a plastic lip that protrudes onto the black water tank. I'm not familiar with RV type toilets... this design may well be the good design or it may not.

The flange gasket was in place and I did not see any leaks around the floor flange.. (pls see the pictures provided earlier at the start of this thread). However, the inside of the lower half of the toilet, the stand void, was largely caked with solid matter. I took the whole shitterree over to where I could pressure wash with warm water. With help of a long pry rod, soap and rinse wash to clean the crap out I worked the solids out. I filled the space with warm water, pried and eventually was able to empty the void.

A bit of a mess.....boy, that was fun. I bagged the Thetford up till spring and put it in our storage area.

Since May camping is coming up I decided that I would re-install the toilet over this three day weekend. However, when I pulled the toilet out of the bag I noticed a familar nasty odor...in fact, I noticed it even before I opened the bag.

Without the toilet installed in the AS I do not have the foul odor in the cabin and I don't want to bring that odor back inside. What is your take on this:

Even though I cleaned the toilet maybe its not clean enough?
Is this odor problem symptomatic of plastic toilets?
Is this problem unique with my toilet or is it universal for the model?
Have you experienced this problem, how did you fix it?
Do you have or had had a smelly odor problem in your AS, what was the cure?
I don't know what caused the waste material to collect to the extent that it did in my toilet ..do you have any constructive thoughts about this issue or should it be expected?
I'd like to have a toilet in my AS but not if it smells like my toilet does now....what's your suggestion for a fix?

Many thx for taking a moment to consider my "smelly" issue
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1711.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	128039   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1712.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	180.5 KB
ID:	128040  

Name:	IMG_1715.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	128041  
Old 04-25-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have the same toilet in my trailer. The valve was sticking open at times so I thought that I would remove it and see if I could repair it. I found no adjustments and virtually no parts available for it. I took some of it apart and almost never got it back together. I was able to put it back together and only needed a new floor gasket. [donut seal] I was shocked to see that the toilet was hollow and lots of junk had somehow splashed up into the empty bowl area. I turned mine up side down, sprayed Simple Green into it and hosed it all out and clean. Mine never smelled, because all of the junk was sealed in the hollow area. I also used a lubricant on the seal to prevent the slide valve from sticking. The price of RV toilets is sky high, in my opinion, so I will use this one until it really breaks. After looking at all the different types and models of RV toilets, my next one will, for sure, be one with a ball type valve with a straight pipe to the black tank. No more disgusting, hollow toilets for me.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #6
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcbwil View Post
There are two spaces in the head area of my 2007 Safari that I would like to determine their purpose. The water line comes out of the lower front of the box space in question. It has a rounded front top edge.

The other one of interest is directly beside the toilet and is a small triganular space to the right looking a the toilet drain hole.

Thes spaces make cleaning around the toilet difficult unless u remove the toilet entirely. If there's nothing behind them or if there are access panels I'd like to know what they access.

Thank you.
The rounded box on the floor is probably a wheel well (at least part of it is). The triangular shaped wall pieces are for holding tank vents to go to the roof outlet for the vent.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:50 AM   #7
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
The only thing I can think of is that the trailer was on the road with a black tank that was not empty. I have the same one without any smells, but I always empty the black tank and rinse it before heading out. I would think you can sanitize it and be alright. To me this shows why you should always clean the tank before heading out. JMHO
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Anchorage , Alaska
This is what is behind that panel, my modification

Because the toilet plumbing on the new china bowl was different than the original toilet I had to make a modification. In doing so I had to remove the panel in question. Here is a pictorial review of the process: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f396...ina-80106.html

We're happy campers now. Thanks all for the help and advice.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:22 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Oakland County , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
a/s is not in the habit of finishing in empty spaces with bulges, just for the sake of it..........
On the other hand, I have found plenty of room behind drawers, for instance, where I have enlarged the drawer to make more room for my DW to store more things.

BTW, nice modification. I believe that every cubic inch of space should be put to good, practical use.

Michigan
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote