Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Bozeman , MT
Wet shower shut off, the most surreal experience!

I am having the most surreal and frustrating experience dealing with airstream technical support. I have spent days of back and forth e-mailing without getting any valuable answers to very simple questions. Absolutely unbelivable. Anyway... One of the questions I have for them... On the 16 foot Bambi the shower faucets don't seem to be shutting off the water. The only way I can shut off the water is through the shower head. I took apart the faucets thinking that the stems were broken or the gaskets worn out but they seem to be in perfect shape. The base itself is in perfect shape as well. I am starting to think that the faucets are not meant to shut off the water and maybe the only function to regulate hot and cold water. So, here is the question. On the 16 foot, 2004 Bambi (I belive is the same system for most recent Bambis) can you shut off the water from the faucets or is it just from the shower head? I included the picture of the faucets I am talking about.
Thanks for the help!
Paolo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0609.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	82007  
marchesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Has it always been like this?

The plastic handles have a bad habit of stripping where they fit the metal faucet. If that has happened, it's possible you think you're turning the water off, but they are still allowing a small amount of water past them. The most direct solution would be to try to find metal faucet handles.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Bozeman , MT
Hi overlander,
I just bought the Bambi and the person who sold it to me apparently never used the shower and doesn't know and unfortunately I am the third owner and can't find out what the first owner did (hope he didn't do a home made modification). I checked the plastic handles and they are in perfect shape. I also tried to shut off the water with a metal handle and still it doesn't shut off. I don't even get a diminished flow...
Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
idea

inline water filters - usually present in kitchen and bath faucets - if you let them freeze in the winter OR put antifreeze through them they leak forever. Ask me how I know.

If you can find one for your faucet and replace it with something you buy at the hardware store, that may fix the problem.

Paula
Old 06-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There's something not right there. It's possible the trailer didn't get winterized properly, and maybe the water froze in that area, expanding them to where the faucets don't shut off the water. I'll be back in the shop tomorrow, if you don't have it figured out by then, I can see if I can find anything out for you.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:15 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Great minds think alike...

...and I guess ours do, too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
inline water filters - usually present in kitchen and bath faucets - if you let them freeze in the winter OR put antifreeze through them they leak forever. Ask me how I know.

If you can find one for your faucet and replace it with something you buy at the hardware store, that may fix the problem.

Paula
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
There's something not right there. It's possible the trailer didn't get winterized properly, and maybe the water froze in that area, expanding them to where the faucets don't shut off the water. I'll be back in the shop tomorrow, if you don't have it figured out by then, I can see if I can find anything out for you.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

It makes it easier working with Airstream support if you can give them the option of a phone number so they can contact you.Especially if there is some confusion. You should be able to completely shut off the water using the faucets. The shower head should reduce the flow once you have set the faucets to the proper temperature while showering.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

There is also a vacuum breaker that will let water drain out of the bottom of shower hose when you first turn it off.
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Bozeman , MT
Ok, I was able to talk with airstream tech support. As expected the faucets should be able to shut off the water. I dissambled the faucets and replaced the stems with new ones and still no shut off or even close to it. I decided to open up the back of the airstream and see how the pluming looked like. I am not a plumber but what I found was interesting (see photo). It looks like there is a line from the main water that goes directly to the shower (on top). On the bottom you can see the hot water and the cold water going to the faucets. Since the main water has a connection to the shower it's by passing the faucets that's the reason why it doesn't shut. Could this be a modification for some strange reason or is there something I don't understand?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	82084  
Old 06-11-2009, 06:00 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchesi View Post
Ok, I was able to talk with airstream tech support. As expected the faucets should be able to shut off the water. I dissambled the faucets and replaced the stems with new ones and still no shut off or even close to it. I decided to open up the back of the airstream and see how the pluming looked like. I am not a plumber but what I found was interesting (see photo). It looks like there is a line from the main water that goes directly to the shower (on top). On the bottom you can see the hot water and the cold water going to the faucets. Since the main water has a connection to the shower it's by passing the faucets that's the reason why it doesn't shut. Could this be a modification for some strange reason or is there something I don't understand?
I don't think that bottom water line should be there. If it is, it should have a shutoff there.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
la mesa , California
Could this be some sort of winterizing solution to let water drain
out of shower head ?
Ron Edwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Bozeman , MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwords View Post
Could this be some sort of winterizing solution to let water drain
out of shower head ?
This is an idea, the only thing that would make sense. Not an easy access however...
Old 06-11-2009, 08:04 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
I am NO expert plumber!! But the brass colored piece in the lower horizontal line just left of the elbow LOOKS like a "back flow" preventer that I use on my drip irrigation lines for the hanging baskets on my porch. I bet it is installed back wards if it is. This would let the water drain for winterizing if installed correctly. As I said I am no expert but that piece looks familiar.
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 PM   #14
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I agree, it looks like a check valve in the line. It might be there to drain the water from the shower hose after the water pressure is removed. There should be an arrow on that brass piece to indicate the direction of flow. The flow should be from the shower hose line to the cold water line, that would allow it to drain. My guess is the check valve is bad.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Arcata , California
I just checked your post on the forum. I haven't been on lately. I think your situation is exactly what posts #13 & 14 said. It looks like a back flow valve. My trailer doesn't have that. As poster #8 said there is a vacuum breaker on the bottom of the shower hose that lets the water drain out of the hose when you shut off the water. But from looking at your first photo a previous owner took that off and did the bypass work. I understand why they would want to do that because when using the shower as an outdoor shower, when you shut off the water it drains onto the wetbath floor which is not all that good because then you have to dry off the floor. So if you get rid of the backflow remodel job be sure to get a new vacuum breaker for the shower hose. Jamie
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:37 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Bozeman , MT
I fixed it! You guys were right, apparently it was an addition to drain the shower and the valve was bad or stuck open. I tried to unscrew it and even though I couldn't get it out (those tubes are impossible to undue) it must have released it. Now it shuts off the intake and just allows for the water to go out. Not sure how long it will work without jamming again but now I know the problem. Thanks you all!
Old 06-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Paolo,, glad you found the problem,,, happy trails,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:05 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
likely culprit - hard water clogging the works. Beat it with a hammer or disturb it in some way and voila!

Happy Showers!

sent from my new netbook
Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #19
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
likely culprit - hard water clogging the works. Beat it with a hammer or disturb it in some way and voila!

Happy Showers!

sent from my new netbook
Sounds like a "Red Green" repair--If it ain't broke, hit it harder!"

What version of Netbook did you get? Marie really likes her Asus.
Old 08-30-2018, 09:51 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
Shower check valve...

I know that it's awfully late (9 years!) to reply to this thread but...

Our 2004 16' Bambi has EXACTLY the configuration shown in this thread's photo. We bought the trailer brand new, so this was not some sort of aftermarket mod.

The only justification for this check valve's (assuming that's what it is) existence has to be for draining the shower water lines. Specifically, to let escape any water sitting between the shower hose's own vacuum breaker and the cold supply line. It would only open when draining the trailer's water lines. At least how that's the only explanation I can think of.

Anyhoo, I'm absolutely sure the thing's developed a slow leak in our case, which is causing a slow leak all over our wet bath. The shower hot/cold valves are pristine, with new washers, so I'm eliminating them from consideration.

My question: where to get one of these things?

Name:	IMG_0616.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	241.9 KB
ID:	321178

Jon
Toasty's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote