Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2011, 09:54 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Twin Lakes , Wisconsin
Wet bath construction ideas for a '69?

I'm thinking of doing a wet bath in our gutted rear bath. We're pretty wide open to ideas, since we still have to replace the black water tank too. I was thinking of building up the floor slightly for pitch to a drain. Is this possible & what types of materials would work? We're doing stainless on the walls, so maybe the floor as well?
redreefet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:15 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Just asking, but why a wet bath in a 31' ? There is a lot room for a nice size shower in that space.

Just an opinion....

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Twin Lakes , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
Just asking, but why a wet bath in a 31' ? There is a lot room for a nice size shower in that space.

Just an opinion....
I thought it might be easier to construct. The fiberglass shower pan we have has to be built up, thus losing head room. We were also going to put a larger closet in because we're removing the overhead storage over the twins for bunks.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1954 26' Romany Cruiser
Asheville , NC
Just for kicks...

I know this wouldnt really work for you, but just to provide food for thought:

We went with a "wet floor" design. That is a SS pan with a 1.5" lip all around. 42"x45". We have connections with a really good SS fabricator company here in town. (My brother may be able to get some stuff made if you need it) I pull a shower curtain 360 degrees around the bathroom floor for a large shower but didn't have to waterproof the toliet, sink area.

The shower worked much better than I even hoped. The only thing I can tell you is that finding a way to slope towards the drain and it will save you time. However we didn't, but on SS, 2 minutes with a squeegie fixes that.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Take a look at the 1969/1970 Safari Special baths. It was a rear corner wet bath. I think it was also used in the Caravanner and Globetrotter models if memory serves right.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Interesting idea. I would say Andrew was on the right track. Getting the floor to not only hold water but also get said water headed to a drain would be the first trick.

FRP board might work as a liner for the entire head. One can glue it to about any surface, and it is flexible enough to curve to fit. A little caulking at the seams would be water tight.
Keep the bottom in the floor pan and your good.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Twin Lakes , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
I know this wouldnt really work for you, but just to provide food for thought:

We went with a "wet floor" design. That is a SS pan with a 1.5" lip all around. 42"x45". We have connections with a really good SS fabricator company here in town. (My brother may be able to get some stuff made if you need it) I pull a shower curtain 360 degrees around the bathroom floor for a large shower but didn't have to waterproof the toliet, sink area.

The shower worked much better than I even hoped. The only thing I can tell you is that finding a way to slope towards the drain and it will save you time. However we didn't, but on SS, 2 minutes with a squeegie fixes that.
Yes, this may work. I was thinking something like this & build the floor up slightly (with what?) on one end & put the drain at the other. We have a separate toilet already & the sink could be built. I wish I have the metal fabricating skills myself. I'm considering taking a class at the local college if I can find one.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1960 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
wet room idea??

We're just starting a reno on my 65 Overlander, rear bath, twin. Been thinking about pulling out the original bath fixtures and going with a wet room as well. This may be more comfortable for my husband's 6'1" frame! Plus I know we've got some floor rot issues back there and I'm not a fan of the toilet seat sitting on a bench! We are also changing the twins to a full (or whatever we can fit in there!) so we can change the door into the bath from the center to the side. This will give us more room on one side of the "wet" room.
During my search for bathroom ideas, I came across this picture (sorry so large, dont know how to make smaller)

This is a 1955 26' AS that was for sale a long while ago. I know that tiling is not a good option--I'm not interested in that (personally I like the idea of SS). It is the step-in tub surround that is cool. The listing described it as a...
"3' x 3' x 12" fiberglass tub/shower with Grohe hand held shower head". The rest of the bath was described as...
"2" x 2" multicolored vintage tile bath surround and floor over protective rubber membrane" and "bathroom cabinet with four drawers and one stainless shelf, open towel storage below, mahogany trim".

I would love to know more about this fiberglass tub/shower thing. I did an internet but to no avail. This would be a nice mid-way solutuion--less crowding in the bathroom and no concerns about drainage and floor pitch.

Has anyone know about this type of tub/shower? Could something like this be fabricated?
Kathleen
kdenault is offline   Reply With Quote