Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Plumbing - Systems & Fixtures > Sinks, Showers & Toilets
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2018, 07:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Waterlogging Natures Head vs. Airhead

So this is probably a topic that gets beat to death, but here's my take.

I've been looking up every review I can find on these two toilets, and I've noticed a trend.

Multiple airhead users are stating that with 2 fulltime users, the airhead gets waterlogged and doesn't compost or dry well before needing emptied. I haven't seen natures head reviews saying that. (If you have a nature's head and can chime in, please do)

I have thoughts as to why that is

1. The natures head appears to have about 25% more surface area

2. Airflow
2a. The square sides cause a more turbulent airflow inside the natures head, picking up more moisture
2b. The fan being placed on the toilet instead of 10 feet away causes a less laminar and more turbulent airflow inside, again picking up more moisture

Just my observations as I research.
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 07:22 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Peoria , Arizona
Real life experience after nearly a year:

The NH absolutely will clog if you don't keep the solids sufficiently dry, which will make the handle difficult or even impossible to turn. There is a learning curve for the best moisture (and temp) balance which is acquired over time with experience. In warmer and drier climates this has been less of an issue. If the crank gets difficult before the solids have reached capacity then there are some easy things we do to dry things out faster than what the tiny fan can keep up with. Leave the lid and solids valve open for a while (e.g. overnight) with the bathroom vent open (no there are no foul odors unless you've let things get really "soupy") and sometimes we use a mini heater (e.g. 200W) on the bathroom floor aimed at the toilet base. Both these methods have worked extremely well for us when moisture and/or temp is an issue. Conversely, there are occasions when we've actually needed to add a little water into the bin if it starts getting too dry. For the most part, it takes care of itself so consider these situations the exception and not the rule. Still would not go back to a flush toilet. Once you learn how the composting works then it's easy to manage in our experience. We always keep extra coir on hand just in case a full change out is needed. Keep in mind that between trips (every few months), we don't empty the NH and it sits inside an enclosed RV garage to continue to compost as long as we care to let it do its thing (months). If you're ok with the learning curve knowing it isn't a set it and forget it setup, then you'll be good to go. It's likely most similar toilets have similar issues since it's all about managing the composting process effectively. It's NOT rocket science though! Would be interested in reading about other experiences.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:14 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
We have the air head. Two full time users. We've never had an issue with moisture in the solids tank. If the handle is hard to turn, invariably it's because the tank is full and it's time to empty it.

I don't know what people are doing (eating?) to cause the tank to become "waterlogged," but in our experience there just isn't very much moisture making it into the solids tank in the first place.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Churubusco , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatleys View Post
We have the air head. Two full time users. We've never had an issue with moisture in the solids tank. If the handle is hard to turn, invariably it's because the tank is full and it's time to empty it.

I don't know what people are doing (eating?) to cause the tank to become "waterlogged," but in our experience there just isn't very much moisture making it into the solids tank in the first place.
Thanks for chiming in, glad to hear it's not all airheads

So I had seen these 2 videos on the airhead
https://youtu.be/6IZasCrkuUY
https://www.thefitrv.com/rv-tips/the-straight-poop-on-our-composting-toilet/

Both with similar feedback of
"It's fine, but you end up dumping out sludge"

2 isn't exactly a statistically significant sample size, so they could be two outliers. One admits it's from eating about 5000 calories a day, essentially equating to 3 full time users. The other offers no explanation.

I've seen more reviews on the nature's head, none had mentioned the waterlogging issue.
Magnet18 is offline   Reply With Quote