Old 09-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
Gringo, I don't have any specific recommendations for you regarding the brand or features of the pump you should consider for a replacement beyond suggesting that you get a variable speed pump rather than one that is simply "on or off." The variable speed pump which comes with contemporary AS' is much quieter than the "on/off" variety.

As far as the fresh water tank vent is concerned, I would be surprised if that was causing you issues with the pump shutting down, but it does sound to me like you have some blockage in the vent line which you should try to clear up. Mine has a little mesh screen over it which you would want to preserve to keep bugs out of the tank. Perhaps you could rig a hose from an air compressor to cover the hole and then blow out whatever obstruction might be there?

Good luck!
Air has to vent out of the fresh tank as water goes in. The vent is about the size of a soda straw. If you have really good pressure going in, you might not be able to get enough air out fast enough. I NEVER put my hose down into the tank. ONE incident another Airstreamer had just scared the begeebers out of me. She overfilled her tank to such a point that it bowed up and broke her floor! So I sit there and hold the hose about 2 inches away from the fill port and let it rip. Air comes back out the vent and the fill port. Be happy that your hose blew itself out instead of the alternative. I've noted that a lot of campgrounds don't have real good water flow so it probably IS safe to put the hose down the pipe. I just choose not to.

Paula

Old 09-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #16
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
this already IS the new modern multi whatever pump they're putting in modern Airstreams. I don't see how anyone would call this quiet, if this is a typical installation. I note the pump is screwed down hard to the floor. I would have expected some vibration damping between it and the trailer floor. I cannot move, wiggle, or shake it. It's fastened securely and doesn't move. I owned a Fleetwood Jamboree Class C for about ten years, have had a succession of boats with Flojet and Shurflo pumps for washdowns, potable water, bait tanks, etc. and I presently own a catamaran with two water pumps, and this fancy "non pulsing" and " quiet" Smart Sensor one is easily as noisy as any of those. I can hear this one from 50 yards away.

Old 09-22-2014, 10:40 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
. She overfilled her tank to such a point that it bowed up and broke her floor!

Paula
Paula, do you suppose that report was an internet myth, hard to imagine it happening from line water pressure. When full, excess water will just flow out the in-spout.

I wonder if she froze a full freshwater tank ...
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
this already IS the new modern multi whatever pump they're putting in modern Airstreams. I don't see how anyone would call this quiet, if this is a typical installation. I note the pump is screwed down hard to the floor. I would have expected some vibration damping between it and the trailer floor. I cannot move, wiggle, or shake it. It's fastened securely and doesn't move. I owned a Fleetwood Jamboree Class C for about ten years, have had a succession of boats with Flojet and Shurflo pumps for washdowns, potable water, bait tanks, etc. and I presently own a catamaran with two water pumps, and this fancy "non pulsing" and " quiet" Smart Sensor one is easily as noisy as any of those. I can hear this one from 50 yards away.
I'm not going to say that the stock pump in our 2014 AS is whisper quiet, but in general is is modestly unobtrusive when in use (shower, sink, toilet, etc...) I do note that on occasion if is not properly primed it will make a racket then quiet down after a few seconds as the water lines get purged of air.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #19
one of those

2011 27 FB International
since you've also got a 27, perhaps your pump is in the same place as in our 2011 27FB Intl? Under the wardrobe, behind the swinging door with the LP alarm on it? Would you please just reach in there and see if you can wiggle the pump at all, or is it also firmly bolted to the wooden floor?
We've found so many quality control issues with this Airstream that it wouldn't surprise me to find out that either some rubber shock mounts were left off, or that someone ran the screws down too hard.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1998 30' Excella 1000
Livingston , Texas
Gringo, regarding pump shut-down, try checking the filter at the pump for clogs. Regarding the noise, if you do not already have it, add a couple of feet of flexible braided tubing to both sides of the pump.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:40 AM   #21
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Thanks for the suggestions. I did check the little inline screen, and it's clean as new. This setup was only used three times to winterize the trailer each october since new. Until Friday night. I doubt this pump had a total of ten minutes on it until this weekend when we decided to cut ourselves a boonie camp site and use the fresh water tank and pump for the first time. So essentially, it's in the same condition as when it left Airstream as new.

My wife says it's at it's worst when trying to run reduced water, the pump stops during the low flow situation. It never stops while in full bore flow. Unfortunately, that full bore flow is a bit much in the galley, splashing water. I'll try the braided hose addition. And maybe an accumulator tank, if that doesn't help. I would be interested to know if everyone elses pumps come screwed securely to the flooring, though.

(and you guys thinking of using that last sentence as a straight line.... we know who you are.)
Old 09-22-2014, 11:42 AM   #22
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I had to replace my pump on warranty, it wouldn't fully shut off when the faucets closed/off, just kept on turning real slow. This caused the water pump to get too hot to touch. It also had the same, reset the pump switch to run issue. I have checked on the air bubble in the intake strainer and it will disappear when the pump runs steady, no lack of water drawn from the tank.
My new pump cycles, not a steady flow. The pump switches off and on electrically as it tries to establish flow and pressure. This pump install instructions state that a minimum of right angle water line elbows be used. The elbows create resistance of flow and create the back pressure that shuts the pump off, like faucet off would do. There are 5 elbows within sight of the pump, let alone those on the kitchen side of the rig. I think this pump is a mismatch for the fresh water supply system.
Mine has rubber feet between the pump and floor.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:52 AM   #23
one of those

2011 27 FB International
The pump has been behaving now since yesterday. I haven't made any changes to it, but I think we are both letting the pump ramp up to full pressure when we use it. This is counter productive. We have a 39 gallon fresh water tank, and are trying to stretch that out. Having to run twice as much water as we want just to be sure the pump still works is wasting water. And it looks like I need to find some rubber feet.

I can see that a flow restriction could be seen as the same as shutting a tap partially, but then Shurflo says this pump is designed specifically to sense restriction and slow the pump down to match the requirement. Since it's now working, it's apparently not defective in materials and workmanship, but I do have some questions about its design and installation.

I probably won't replace it if it keeps working, or if I figure out what's making it misbehave. But when I do replace it, it won't be with the same model of pump. This is not worth four times as much as other pumps.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
since you've also got a 27, perhaps your pump is in the same place as in our 2011 27FB Intl? Under the wardrobe, behind the swinging door with the LP alarm on it? Would you please just reach in there and see if you can wiggle the pump at all, or is it also firmly bolted to the wooden floor?
We've found so many quality control issues with this Airstream that it wouldn't surprise me to find out that either some rubber shock mounts were left off, or that someone ran the screws down too hard.
Gringo, yes our pump is in the same place. I jiggled it as requested and it is firmly secure. However, there are four small rubber isolators under the legs between the pump and the floor. I've included pictures of this set up for your reference. The fuzzy upside down picture at the bottom shows the rubber isolator. Use your imagination to flip this particular image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	306.1 KB
ID:	222556   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	222557  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	222558  
Old 09-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #25
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Thanks Bob. After looking at your photo I took a closer look at our pump and it does also have the rubber bushings that your's has, only ours are torqued down a lot more than that. The rubber is bulging out so much I thought it was part of the metal.

The rest of your installation looks the same as ours, except that we don't have a right angle connector coming out of the pump. We have a section of braided hose about three feet long in a big loop, no bends.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Thanks Bob. After looking at your photo I took a closer look at our pump and it does also have the rubber bushings that your's has, only ours are torqued down a lot more than that. The rubber is bulging out so much I thought it was part of the metal.

The rest of your installation looks the same as ours, except that we don't have a right angle connector coming out of the pump. We have a section of braided hose about three feet long in a big loop, no bends.
Gringo, obviously we won't be able to do a side by side comparison between our trailers anytime soon, but as far as your noise issue is concerned I am convinced that there must be some intermittent air in your lines to cause the noise. We have this on rare occasion and it is annoyingly noisy for a few seconds then things quiet down. Most of the time the pump is quiet enough, not completely silent, but not loud enough to be of any concern (when it works, it sounds like a little whirling noise, about as loud as a soft voice.) I can't help but wonder that you might have some air trapped in your water heater that occasionally gets into the lines? Don't ask me why I think this, it's just a hunch. Do you notice any difference in noise and performance when you use cold water only, hot water only or a mix?