Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2003, 05:26 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Water in the Vintage Thrones?

Does anybody know if the toilets are supposed to hold water in the bowl?

We just had our waste valve replaced in our '57 Overlander. Thought they would replace it BUT they totally redid it!

What once was a simple connection coming straight out of the Airstream is now a 90 degree elbow and a big pipe running under the Airstream. Net effect is that we know have 2" less clearance and a big pipe under the A/S.

Next question, is if water is not held in the bowl, then what prevents vapor from leaving the blackwater tank and going into the space. My fear is NOTHING?!?

Just bought the A/S and have never used the blackwater tank. Any advice?

Any experts on vintage plumbing?

Dave
Mr. Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:39 PM   #2

There is a valve that prevents vapors from coming into the trailer.

You will most certainly have other questions, so you can check these Tips for newbies which are links to websites giving basic explanation of plumbing, LPG, 12v,......
Even if you are not a newbie, they have interesting stuff for everybody.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 05:50 PM   #3

If you have never used a black water tank, the thing not to do, never, ever: is to leave the valve open when in use.

Everybody makes this mistake at least once:

if you are hooked-up to a sewer connection, make sure your valve is closed.

If it is open, all the liquid will run down the hose, BUT the solids will acumulate at the bottom of the tank.
Then you have a nice mess. Acumulation of paper may prevent the valve from closing. So you cannot fill the tank with water in order to soften & flush out the paper,.....
It's of course "fixable", but it takes a while to clean the tank.

So: the thing to do is if you are hooked-up to a sewer connection, make sure your valve is closed.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Yes, the toilet should hold water. If it does not, it may need a new blade gasket, or silicone conditioner.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 09:04 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1962 22' Safari
Katy , Texas
I recently replaced the waste valve on my 62 with one from Valtek. I still have the original cast conector so it does not hang down like you describe. I also replaced my toilet last week with a new one from Thetford. The old one did hold water in the bowl. The old one leaked fresh water in the valve at the foot pedal. I pulled it out and repaired a similar leak last year and it worked for a while but it was so old it wasn't worth repairing again so I bought a new one for $117 with pedal flush.
Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 04:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

The toilet on our 71 Safari suddenly wouldn't hold water recently. After examination, I made a wire tool out of a coat hanger. About ten inches long with a bend at one end about one inch long. I inserted it in the area that the valve goes and fished around and found some paper that had been trapped by the valve. Cleaned it out and now the bowl holds water. Coat hangers are wonderful tools for a lot of things.
Dan
Dbraw is offline   Reply With Quote